Thread poster: Matthew Bricker
Matthew Bricker
Matthew Bricker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:51
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2005

this e-mail is a scam. it is also nearly identical to an early warning posted here at proz.com:

I am Bishop Robert Williams. Am an English speaking cleargy from Ghana.
I will be coming over to United States, on holidays within the month for a 10 days vacation with my Chinese wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5
respectively.
As at today, my travelling agency have not confirmed our date I am sure that before the next two days they will.
b
... See more
this e-mail is a scam. it is also nearly identical to an early warning posted here at proz.com:

I am Bishop Robert Williams. Am an English speaking cleargy from Ghana.
I will be coming over to United States, on holidays within the month for a 10 days vacation with my Chinese wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5
respectively.
As at today, my travelling agency have not confirmed our date I am sure that before the next two days they will.
but we are looking at 15th to 25th of this month.
My wife Rev.Comfort Williams only speak
CHINESE We will require the services of aChinese translator for 5 hours daily X 10days because I will not always be with
them on most occasions due to other church functions which I might attend.
Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and at what cost ?.
We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and
sightseeing because this is her first visit.
An early reply will be appreciated.
Please indicate your operational base in your country so that i will know if it okay for me, also provide ne with your telephone numbers.
NOTE THAT MY SPONSOR WOULD BE PAYING FOR YOUR SERVICES IN A CASHIER'S CHEQUE
Remain Blessed,
His Lordship,
BIHOP ROBERT WILLIAMS.
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Of course it is. Jun 9, 2005

I've told this guy that he should pay me by electronic transfer so that I can let the translating community know that all these nasty rumours about him being a fake aren't true, and that I was looking forward to the lovely shopping trip with his wife...but I haven't heard anything since.

moya
moya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I wonder if this is his brother??? Even the errors are the same! Jun 9, 2005

DEAR SIR,

I am Bishop Asante Mensah. Am an English speaking clergy from Ghana.
I will be coming over to London,on holidays within the month for a 10 days vacation with my dutch wife,daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
As at today, my travelling agency have not confirmed our date I am sure that before the next two days they will. but we are looking at 15th to 25th of this month.
My wife Rev.Anna Mensah only speak
dutch and a little en
... See more
DEAR SIR,

I am Bishop Asante Mensah. Am an English speaking clergy from Ghana.
I will be coming over to London,on holidays within the month for a 10 days vacation with my dutch wife,daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
As at today, my travelling agency have not confirmed our date I am sure that before the next two days they will. but we are looking at 15th to 25th of this month.
My wife Rev.Anna Mensah only speak
dutch and a little english.
We will require the services of a Dutch translator for 5 hours daily X 10days because I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other church functions which I might attend.
Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and at what cost ?.
We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be
assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit.
An early reply will be appreciated.
Please indicate your operational base in your country so
that i will know if it okay for me, also provide me with your telephone numbers.
NOTE THAT MY SPONSOR WOULD BE PAYING FOR YOUR SERVICES IN A CASHIER'S CHEQUE
Remain Blessed,
His Lordship,
BIHOP ASANTE MENSAH.
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
what a waste of time Jun 9, 2005

why on earth do they bother? it's not like anyone ever believes them.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
German to English
+ ...
You might be surprised! Jun 9, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

If they weren't making money with these and similar scams, they would have stopped a long time ago!! There's a sucker born every minute as somebody once said.

Michael Deliso
Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Various Bishops' letters.. Jun 9, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

Orla Ryan wrote:

If they weren't making money with these and similar scams, they would have stopped a long time ago!! There's a sucker born every minute as somebody once said.

Don't be too surprised...few have swallowed the bait in Italy...it was on the news couple of weeks ago..some gullibles are born every day..and more get hooked on it..

Wilman
Wilman  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same scam Jun 10, 2005

Hi guys,

I received the EXACT e-mail today from "Bishop Robert Williams from Ghana" and I'm glad that I was smart enough to check proz forum for scam. Thank you for your previous advices and postings.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Annoy them back? Jun 10, 2005

Advice on annoying the scammers:

http://www.419eater.com/

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
419 scammers are real Jun 11, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:
it's not like anyone ever believes them.

Unfortunately people do. On the site Edward gives a link to there are many absolutely heart-breaking stories of really vulnerable people who lost everything they had to these people. Avoid them.

CindyChain
CindyChain
United States
Local time: 16:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is the purpose for this scam? Jun 16, 2005

Wilman wrote:

Hi guys,

I received the EXACT e-mail today from "Bishop Robert Williams from Ghana" and I'm glad that I was smart enough to check proz forum for scam. Thank you for your previous advices and postings.

I have received this email and even replied to him. I am glad to check out him by searching key word on line, then found this forums. Thank you for all of your advice. I just don't understand the purposr for this scam. Just annoy people?

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
the interpreter scam Jun 17, 2005

Cindy,

The way it normally works is as follows. They will arrange to have you interpret for them on a certain time and will insist on advance payment, which they will send by cheque. When the cheque is received they will claim that they have changed the plan and they will need an interpreter for less time (1 day instead of 2 for example) and ask you to send them back the extra money.

Of course, if you send it back, they will get it while their cheque will bounce.

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 17:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks forum! Jun 27, 2005

Wilman wrote:

Hi guys,

I have received this email and even replied to him. I am glad to check out him by searching key word on line, then found this forums. Thank you for all of your advice. I just don't understand the purposr for this scam. Just annoy people?[/quote]

I got an email couple days ago from Bishop Asante Mensah as well. I replied didn't think it was a scam since it came from proz.com. This person replied and it immediately raised my suspicion. His reply was typed entirely in capitalised letters. But the biggest clue was that he mentioned about his problem with his sponsor and his travel agent, and that *I* should be the one sending money back? Also he wants my phone number and address right away without confirming that he is in fact visiting my part of Canada.

The redlights went off and i went searching google for such a "bishop". Sure enough a link to this forum came up and it all becomes clear. I haven't logged on to proz.com for awhile, otherwise I would've become aware of this scam long time ago.

Thanks guys and you rock!

-Kvasir

Chieh Ying Lin
Chieh Ying Lin
English to Chinese
+ ...
Luckily... Jun 28, 2005

I received the same e-mail via Proz.com, with a request for Chinese Italian interpreter service in early July. I didn't reply yet coz I just came back from a vacation and when I read it out loud in front of my computer, my husband got suspicious immediately, saying "it doesn't seem safe!! You don't know what's behind." So I did a little search on Google and found the info back on Proz again! I guess I am lucky. Thanks to those who have posted the messages above. I think the entire "translator c... See more
I received the same e-mail via Proz.com, with a request for Chinese Italian interpreter service in early July. I didn't reply yet coz I just came back from a vacation and when I read it out loud in front of my computer, my husband got suspicious immediately, saying "it doesn't seem safe!! You don't know what's behind." So I did a little search on Google and found the info back on Proz again! I guess I am lucky. Thanks to those who have posted the messages above. I think the entire "translator community" should be warned about this "scam" thing.Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
More of the same! Nov 23, 2005

Hello,
I am Bishop John Opoko and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to Zevenaar in the Netherlands on holidays from 31th of November to the 15th of December 2005 for a 15 days Vacation with my French wife, who speaks only Twi and French, alongside my kids of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
We will require the services of a French interpreter for 7 hours daily, 12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 14 days. As I will not always be wi
... See more
Hello,
I am Bishop John Opoko and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to Zevenaar in the Netherlands on holidays from 31th of November to the 15th of December 2005 for a 15 days Vacation with my French wife, who speaks only Twi and French, alongside my kids of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
We will require the services of a French interpreter for 7 hours daily, 12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 14 days. As I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other seminars/conference which I will be attending. We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to Netherlands.
An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and give me a price quote, and it is most important, you immediately call me on my direct line (011 233 244 033 930) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.
Direct Line: 011 233 244 033 930
Fax Line: 011 233 277 900 032

Remain Blessed,
Bishop John Opoko
Collapse

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received the same thing!! Nov 23, 2005

I thought this sounded fishy from the start. I received the exact same mail as Sherefedin did, only from Bishop Lesley Opoko, claiming his wife spoke only Twi and Spanish. I called the number, and spoke to a man who insisted on paying me in advance for my services by sending a check for several thousand dollars [quote] just in case he were to need my services more than the agreed-upon time frame [quote]. Having lived in Ghana for a short time years ago, I remembered how corruption was so rampant there, and before giving him my address where to send the check, I asked him to confirm via e-mail, and we would write up a contract. I haven't heard back from him. It's "nice" to hear that others have had the same experience in a way, but let's hope no one falls for this scam!

Bill

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scam - Bishop Robert Williams from Ghana

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »