Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: When is it time to replace CD player? (I just want your extra time and your...tech savvy)
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2005

My CD player was stored in a basement for a couple of years, and since I moved to my new place and unpacked it, I could swear it plays my CDs slower than their intended speed, although I am not altogether positive about it. I have tried timing a few tracks, and the times correspond to those listed on the song info...still, it is driving me crazy, and I can only listen to CDs I don't know well so I won't be able to tell the difference. I am as un-techie as they come, and I am timing this stuff with a regular watch...is it possible for a track to last its intended length and still sound like the speed is dragging? Or would a difference of a millisecond throw the playing speed completely off? I hate throwing away equipment, but I would love to be able to enjoy my CD collection again...one gets tired of waiting forever for Prince's "Kiss"

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EN-ES
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2005-06-09 19:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
English to Arabic
+ ...
When it stops working!! Jun 9, 2005

I have a better idea, why don't you start downloading mp3 songs from the internet? good quality, Free (yeah!!) and you don't have to wait for anything to load once the song is downloaded.
Just my 2 cents!

Ziad

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
Just as a reminder Jun 9, 2005

Just as a reminder. It's not free or legal to download MP3s in some countries, and particularly in France. So be careful, please!
I know some people who had to pay a lot of money because it was considered illegal. You can be put to jail too.
I am not saying that I agree with the sentences, it's just that's the way things are right now...

Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:02
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Judge Lynch, please come back ! Jun 9, 2005

Sandrine said :

...and particularly in France. So be careful, please!
I know some people who had to pay a lot of money because it was considered illegal. You can be put to jail too.

Fortunately they abolished the Death Penalty in France...

FYI the ones who had to pay heavy fines in France were those ones caught with 25 copies of the same Disney motion picture, or 45 copies of a "Rolling Stones" CD, and who could not pretend that there was for their "private use" only...

So we, IMHO, should slow dow this kind of information.

But anyway, you are absolutly right : it is absolutely prohibited to download neither copy any copyrighted items from the WEB or any similar sources.

That's why I never do it.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yoohooo... Jun 9, 2005

So now we have off-topic answers to an off-topic question, ay ay ay...

I actually have already decided to replace the pesky CD player. I was merely hoping one of you tech wizards would be able to explain to me why a song would sound slower than normal to the ear, even if it plays for its listed length. I'm curious like that

S.G.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
CD Jun 10, 2005

...why a song would sound slower than normal to the ear, even if it plays for its listed length

Slow electricity?

Boris Popov
Local time: 12:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Just a wild shot Jun 10, 2005

Susana Galilea wrote:

My CD player was stored in a basement for a couple of years, and since I moved to my new place and unpacked it, I could swear it plays my CDs slower than their intended speed, although I am not altogether positive about it.
---skipped---

My best guess is that the acoustic environment may be different in that new place of yours. Try using good headphones.

Best regards,
Boris

Susan Andrew
Local time: 09:02
Spanish to English
Jun 10, 2005

[Edited at 2005-06-10 11:10]

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
possible explanation Jun 10, 2005

I suppose it's possible for the motor bearings to have become gummed up from storage, causing the CD to spin a bit slower than it should. The electronics has to be synchronised to the data rate read from the disc, so if it is a bit slow the music will be shifted in pitch accordingly. At a guess, if you have good ears you can probably detect a pitch change of only a few percent. That would cause a playback time difference of only a few seconds with a typical pop song (3 minutes playing time), which would be difficult to measure manually.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Not possible AFAIK Jun 10, 2005

Even though it revolves, a CD is not like a casette tape or a vinyl record, where the sound is reproduced mechanically and electrically. Simply slowing the CD down should not result in slower playing of the music, but would likely cause other problems like skipping.

I propose a controlled experiment. Find another CD player. Surely there is something in the house - a portable, boombox, your DVD player, your computer CD drive, whatever.
It would be best if you could get another copy of a CD. Put both copies in the players and start them at the same time (putting both in 'pause' mode beforehand, because different players have different startup times). If the difference in pitch is there, you should be able to hear it. Also, if it's significant and you started the music at the same time, the two players will start sliding out of synch fairly shortly. You'll first perceive this as a weird sort of echo, and then the music will slide apart completely.
If you can't get another copy of the CD, you will have to switch between players. Don't play more than 15-20 seconds of music, because human aural memory is notoriously short and you will forget what you were hearing at the beginning!

I seem to recall you moved from one city to another some time ago, but within the USA, so a difference in household current would not be the problem...

Most dirt-related problems in players result in skipping or in the player not being able to access certain tracks.

Interesting problem!

Pawel Skalinski

p.s. legal or not, mp3 is the McDonald's hamburger of audio. No one who truly appreciates music will make mp3 their format of choice. Of course, I will make use of mp3's when travelling with a laptop or under other circumstances away from home, but never to replace CD's.

[Edited at 2005-06-10 09:49]

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting! Jun 10, 2005

Of course, I will make use of mp3's when travelling with a laptop or under other circumstances away from home, but never to replace CD's.

It really makes me wonder. Those people who love movies or music, do not stop buying originals. They use downloads just to ascertain the material is worthy of the investment...

P. (who buys tons of DVDs, CDs, and books)

PS: Sorry for the detour, Susana.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Just in case I was misunderstood... Jun 10, 2005

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:
It really makes me wonder. Those people who love movies or music, do not stop buying originals. They use downloads just to ascertain the material is worthy of the investment...

No, no.
In case of pop music, sites like Allmusic are mostly enough for me to get the impression of an album. There are also artist sites with snippets of songs or I can make my decision in the store by listening to the record.

What I meant was purely in the audio sense: I sometimes turn CDs I own into mp3s to listen to them on the road, so to speak, but this is a temporary measure - like I made my own tapes to listen to in the car or on my walkman.

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2005-06-10 12:28]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
forgot to mention... Jun 10, 2005

PAS wrote:
Most dirt-related problems in players result in skipping or in the player not being able to access certain tracks.

This whole thing started when a record started skipping out of control. The skipping has happened again a couple of times, but mostly it's the speed dragging that has become permanent.

A colleague emailed me to suggest cleaning the laser lens before investing in new equipment, seems like a prudent enough thing to do...

Thanks everyone for your input

S.G.

xxxTekkie
English to German
+ ...
Slow playback speed and pitch shift are merely impossible Jun 10, 2005

Susana Galilea wrote:

...is it possible for a track to last its intended length and still sound like the speed is dragging?

According to my knowledge of the audio CD principles, what you guess is happening is simply not possible.

The motor speed is quartz-controlled, and the samples are converted from binary values to analog amplitude values exactly 44,100 times a second.

If the motor spindle were stuck, the speed would vary drastically, and you would hear the weirdest noise.

I guess that your perception of music you didn't hear for a while has changed with time.

The easiest method to find out what happens is install another CD player that is known to operate perfectly in the same room with the "nasty" CD player, and listen to the same CDs in direct comparison.

The acoustical characteristics of a room can severely affect the perception of music. Just have a few members of a famous boys' choir sing in your bathroom instead of a cathedral, and you'll probably think: "What the heck do these boys have terrible voices?!" (Boys' choirs sound good because the cathedral adds complex reverb effects that smooth out even the most horrible voices and most miserable singing skills.)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When is it time to replace CD player? (I just want your extra time and your...tech savvy)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs