Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2005

Hi everybody,

I just spotted it on Finnish translators' mailing list. There is no Russian (what a pity, would have been fun) and I can't really estimated other languages, maybe the texts are real translations, but Finnish of the page oh ... I don't know which smiley to insert: this or this..

Have a look
http://www.hotelus.com/

Cheers
Natalia

P.S. It's a translator from the list who named it the Machine Translation of the Year.

[Edited at 2005-06-11 19:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

MT continues to make us confident and proud! Jun 11, 2005

The Swedish version is a disatster.

Just one example: 'Condos' ist translated into 'Kondom'(condom)

Mats

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Alas, no condoms in a Polish version Jun 11, 2005

And it is the only thing that could make this 'translation' a bit more interesting.

[Edited at 2005-06-11 20:31]

[Edited at 2005-06-11 20:33]

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Flooded France & free angels Jun 11, 2005

Even toponyms didn't manage to escape the translation rage of this machine.
It seems that France has been flooded, since the Dutch translation mentions "Emerging Orleans". Well, probabaly did the "Atlantic Ocean Sea" overflow?

The second city seems to be a free / loose angel.

Sounds intersting, but can't they have a little mercy with atlas producers? That people already have to work overtime to keep up the latest geopolitical changes.

[Edited at 2005-06-11 21:01]

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
In Dutch Jun 12, 2005

The site only translates the headlines. And does a "wonderful," very "creative" job. However, the poor Dutch visitor still has to be able to read English if s/he wants to know what is really going on.

Benno
St. Paul, MN

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Raising the Standard. Jun 12, 2005

Question to Natalia: How good is promt.ru?
It amazes me that translators always ridiculize machine-translation, but not CAT.
Once upon a time, there was a personal-computer, called Apple Lisa with 32KB ROM, 64KB RAM and a price-tag of €1250.
In those days, there were primitive word-processors, primitive spreadsheets (visicalc), dbase I&II , no CAT's.
What if technology continues to evolve at the same speed as the I.T.-revolution (1980-....)? I guess that by 2015 we not laugh so hard.(:
What will happen is the integration of CAT, Terminology databases, MT,speech-recognition and a further progress of robotics. This evolution might reduce the job of the translator to that of proofreader.

[Edited at 2005-06-12 17:18]

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT, TM etc. Jun 12, 2005

Dear (sorry not to know your name),

Williamson wrote:
Question to Natalia: How good is promt.ru?

On Promt. I use it sometimes when I have to QUICKLY understand LARGE amount of text in a language I'm not familiar with. It's full of mistakes, no syntax, no text cohesion. I would never use is for English-Russian translation.

It amazes me that translators always ridiculize machine-translation, but not CAT.

I think one can not compare MT and TM software. It is like trying to decide what is better for sailing: a car or a boat.

I remember being strictly against translation memory software until I realised that it is MINE translation which will be in the next similar segment.

What will happen is the integration of CAT, Terminology databases, MT, speech-recognition and a further progress of robotics. This evolution might reduce the job of the translator to that of proofreader.

Maybe. Never say never. But what is more likely in my opinion, development of all above mentioned will require gigantic contribution of language professionals i.e. translators. So we might find ourselves in a new occupation.

Natalia

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:56
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
The future is already here Jun 12, 2005

Williamson wrote:

What will happen is the integration of CAT, Terminology databases, MT,speech-recognition and a further progress of robotics. This evolution might reduce the job of the translator to that of proofreader.

[Edited at 2005-06-12 17:18]

I think this is already happening. Some agencies already make open requests for machine-translated stuff proofreading, and some translators are already accepting this kind of work, thus confirming that they are already comfortably on their way for a substantial change in the translation "business". I have also been receiving quite ofthen in the last years requests for term translation only, admittedly for the compilation of machine translation software. If this is supposed to be the new type of occupation Natalia was referring to, I think it will not last very long and further it will not bring sufficient living to the professional translators.

[Edited at 2005-06-13 04:57]

Todd Kreider
Local time: 05:56
Japanese to English
We are at the end Jun 27, 2005

Williamson wrote:
What if technology continues to evolve at the same speed as the I.T.-revolution (1980-....)? I guess that by 2015 we not laugh so hard.(:

But it wont evolve at the same rate. It is in fact accelerating. These are the final few years of translation, although I'd think there will be many editing jobs.

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Future Jul 8, 2005

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Mario Cerutti wrote:

If this is supposed to be the new type of occupation Natalia was referring to, I think it will not last very long and further it will not bring sufficient living to the professional translators.

Actually no, I was referring to the other kind of occupation. What I meant is that building up reliable machine translation engine definitely requires contribution of a language professional.

Let's think who would be interested in acquiring and using machine translation software? In my opinion it is end users. For example a company producing some sort of equipment, which they import all over the world.

I have one of such companies as a client. Very nice people and a dream of any translator as a payer. I always pray for them to get a project in Russia. But one thing about them: they indeed from time to time ask me to translate over the weekend a document, which was written during two weeks by three engineers. Nowadays the team assistant can already herself estimate the time required for translation and to cool the engineer guys down.

So I think, as they deliver all around the world they would buy such a MT software for whatever that would cost on one condition: the translation must be perfect. There should not be a need of additional pre- or postediting. As long as such software does not exist they will hire human translators, becuase they as no-one else understand that it is THEIR company image in the manuals, instructions, technical specifications etc. I write.

Of course as the input of human translator cost money there always will be somebody who would dream to build up kind of perpetuum mobile of translation. In my opinion however it is not possible to do simply by compiling word lists. English is far too huge language for that.

Maybe it is or will be possible to produce readable text in the langauge pairs like English-German or French-Spanish or Norwegian-Swedish. But creating the software requires in depth knowledge of language in question.

I guess global companies are saving money with the help on MT packages in producing huge amount of documentaion, which they have to provide but which nobody really ever reads. Mario, do you always read all the instructions of all the domestic appliances you are buying?

What I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of other application to uise our langauge knowledge: speech recognition, knowledge acquisition, language learning etc. to name just a few.

With my very best regards
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation of the Year

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs