Off topic: Privacy (or lack of) on the internet
Thread poster: RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 08:11
French to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2005

http://www.newsday.com/technology/ats-ap_technology10jun19,0,6879258.story?coll=ny-technology-headlines

This article does not concern translation. However a lack of anonymity in chat rooms and instant messaging may be of interest to proz members.

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Privacy miracle Jun 19, 2005

"If someone is determined to find out who you are, they will," Givens said.

Then why can't they catch the notorious spammers?

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 08:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
could this be the reason? Jun 19, 2005

That is a good question, Harry.

I think that most chat rooms want people to come back and really could care less what they say/or to whom. In this case, the man is an elected official and there is power or money to be gained.

Busting a hacker doesn't usually have much of a payoff.

If others see it differently, please correct me.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:11
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Actually there is not such a thing Jun 19, 2005

as "privacy on the Internet". If you're really up to something bad, the only (but not very reliable) course of action is to use some Internet Cafe and change the Country immediately afterwards.

Lately many virus authors (who obviously knew more about computers and programming than me) have been caught and tried and sentenced.

OTOH- why would one want a complete anonymity in an Internet chat room? Unless you're expressing an opinion you're afraid to voice with your own signature or breaking the Law (I'm sure no one will waste a time to find you out if the Law you break is a courtesy one).
But, all in all, nowhere to hide nowadays- if you own a mobile, authorities can track down your movements precisely enough, etc, etc. OTOH, if they are not after you, they scarcely will waste resources on that. There was a popular phone-book add here in Latvia few years ago: "If you're not listed here, you don't exist at all". Today it goes for Internet- if you can not be Googled, you don't exist at all- at least in respect of Internet Community. That inevitably brings with it it's good and bad sides, but we have no alternative, actually- except to throw away our mobiles, computers and retire to some far away island country (I would prefer one with warm climate) )

Uldis

Rita Heller wrote:
However a lack of anonymity in chat rooms and instant messaging may be of interest to proz members.

[Edited at 2005-06-21 09:50]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:11
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Because spammers do not spam themseves Jun 19, 2005

Harry_B wrote:
Then why can't they catch the notorious spammers?

Hackers or virus writers create "bot networks", consisting from hundreds of thousands of virus-infected computers (recent US studies show that more than 50% of US based computers are infected with this or that), and it is these networks of "Zombied" computers (which could include also mine or your computer, if we would't use Zone Alarm, Antiviruses, etc., in short, keep Internet Hygiene), that send out most of the spam. Hackers rent out networks of such infected computers (they may include 100 000 and more individual infected computers) for few thousand USD an hour, and (it's not the case, but it well could be), while I write this, my computer, completely unknown to me, could send out a stream of spam messages.

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privacy (or lack of) on the internet

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs