Off topic: "An evil monkey lives in my closet"
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 5, 2005

Hello everybody!

I would like to know if there is any background concerning this expression: "An evil monkey lives in my closet".

I see a TV cartoon called "Family Guy" everyday and the family's oldest son usually says this sentence. When he does so, nobody in the family believes him, but an angry monkey appears on the screen.

I would like to understand this joke, since I guess there must be one. Is it an "American private joke" or something?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 14:24
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Monsters in the closet Jul 5, 2005

American (and perhaps other) children live in fear of the monster that lives in the closet. He only comes out at night, when the child is alone in the room and too terrified to sleep. No adult has ever seen one of these

See the Disney-Pixar movie Monsters Inc. for more info

Local time: 20:24
German to English
+ ...
It even has its own fan club Jul 5, 2005

Hi there,

I love Family Guy too and have always wondered about this.

According to the following website: "Evil Monkey who lives in Chris' closet and frequently threatens to kill him. However, no one in Chris' family believes him when he tries to explain this. Evil Monkey turned evil after coming home early to tell his wife he'd made partner only to find her in bed with another monkey."

It even has its own fan club - although, as far as I can remember from the three series I have on DVD, he only appears three or four times. Info about the fan club and a great picture is here:

Freakin' unbelievable

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"An evil monkey lives in my closet"

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs