Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Let's eliminate off-topic forums
Thread poster: RHELLER
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't try to eliminate off topic forum, don't try to censor everybody, use it with discretion. Jul 11, 2005

"Some national holidays are highly controversial ...

Some religious celebration are controversial...

Now if you take the controversial national and religious holidays out of scope you find yourself in a slippery slope. Where do you put a limit? A simple and fair solution is to exclude from the site scope all national and religious celebrations.

This thread was useful to provide the feedback that the scope definition was not properly updated, now it will exc
... See more
"Some national holidays are highly controversial ...

Some religious celebration are controversial...

Now if you take the controversial national and religious holidays out of scope you find yourself in a slippery slope. Where do you put a limit? A simple and fair solution is to exclude from the site scope all national and religious celebrations.

This thread was useful to provide the feedback that the scope definition was not properly updated, now it will exclude all form of holiday greetings. I find this solution fair to all countries and beliefs."

Enrique[/quote]

Quite. Not only controversial, but numerous. Every country has at least 2-3 significant special days a year and the same number of religious holidays.

Some transtlators, who happen to live far away or in another country would like to wish a happy "51. Marchuary" to their colleagues.

But we don't. Simply, most people understands, that nice it may be, the forum should not be loaded with congratulations on national or religious holidays.

If we all did it, we would have hundreds of continuous postings, escalating into meaningless reciprocal messages.

The criteria for us posting questions should not be "is it allowed?" but "is this something I need advice on?" or "would other people benefit from knowing this?" or "what is other people's opinion on this professional matter?", or "this is interesting, amusing", and yes, occasionally "this is something to rejoice in", when celebration is justified.

Judith

[Edited at 2005-07-11 22:36]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 00:03
English to French
+ ...
Clarification Jul 11, 2005

Szerbusz Judith

The thread we're talking about here was not about a national holiday. It started as a literary thread, Rita Heller and other posters posted quotes about freedom. Then someone posted, "oh by the way today is such-and-such day, happy XX day to everyone." That was just a tangent, not the topic of the thread.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clarification... Jul 12, 2005

sarahl wrote:

Szerbusz Judith

The thread we're talking about here was not about a national holiday. It started as a literary thread, Rita Heller and other posters posted quotes about freedom. Then someone posted, "oh by the way today is such-and-such day, happy XX day to everyone." That was just a tangent, not the topic of the thread.

... and as far as I remember, only a couple of small postings that were related to the national holiday were hidden, while the rest of the thread is still there, in full view.

Regards,
Enrique

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Clarification... Jul 12, 2005

sarahl wrote:

...Then someone posted, "oh by the way today is such-and-such day, happy XX day to everyone."

two2tango wrote:
... and as far as I remember, only a couple of small postings that were related to the national holiday were hidden, while the rest of the thread is still there, in full view.

Regards,
Enrique

Szerbusz, Sarah,

Enrique answered to your note for me.

Collecting quotations on a universal topic is interesting and language related. I am turning back to the original subject.

This one made me think about Petõfi. On the 1. January 1847 he wrote:
"Freedom, love, these two I crave,
For love I sacrifice my life,
For freedom I sacrifice my love."

Regards

Judith

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 01:03
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
URL for quotes - if you are interested Jul 12, 2005

this was the other discussion

http://www.proz.com/topic/34299

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 00:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Indeed, absurdly unclear, inconsistent and unnecessary Dec 29, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:

The rules are very "iffy" and unclear.

In addition to the points you made, different parts of the ProZ site seem to have different compliance rules. KudoZ replies are extremely naughty; they frequently contain exchanges of holiday greetings. The very word holidays, for consistency, should never be permitted, since it refers to "holy days" that are not holy for everyone. No translators should ever wish each other a happy translators' day, since that would imply a reference to St. Jerome, a Catholic saint who translated (gasp!) the Bible, and furthermore, might offend non-translators. No ProZ polls should ever ask such questions as: "How did you spend December 25?" or "Do you send holiday cards or presents to your clients?" And any reference to freedom clearly casts ironic aspersions on the "narrow scope" of ProZ. Now I wonder if this post will be censored out. ;~}

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's eliminate off-topic forums

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »