Mobile menu

Off topic: Complications in translation jobs!
Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 26, 2005

Dear Prozians,

Regarding complications in translation jobs, may I know what kind of complications do you face while furnishing a translation job/urgent translation job?

My complications are based on lots of things-

1. When outsourcer asks for some specific translation tools, I've to say no!

2. When outsourcer offers too much low rate, that makes simply impossible to work, how much so ever reliable is outsourcer, it does not matter!

3. When I've a prior commitment with my teaching job, where I've to devote more than usual time sometimes, and a regular outsourcer send/s translation job.

4. When my home based computer works improperly and make me helpless for some hours at night, meanwhile job's deadline passes away!

So, what about you dears?

+977 56 530738

etc. etc.

Direct link Reply with quote
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 12:10
Do Forest Fires Count? Jul 26, 2005

When my regular Spanish translator emails me that his work will be late because a forest fire burned out the power lines to his house?

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:10
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My complications Jul 26, 2005

Let's see... My complications are the following:

1. Receiving a very complex form as a .pdf document and having to type and format a new original from scratch (many hours' work) before I can start to translate it..-

2. The fact that my printer takes several minutes to print each page, so, when I am doing a rush job, there's no time to wait for the translation to print, in order to proof-read, and I have to proof-read on screen, which is not ideal...

3. Receiving a snake about 15 metres long to translate, because I have a thermal paper fax machine that uses a continuous roll...

4. Translation agencies who do not have big enough e-mail boxes to receive all the various translations they get in on a Monday morning...(so they cannot receive mine).

5. Three of my best clients all want an immediate translation at exactly the same moment ...

6. The neighbours' children scream mercilessly for hours on end, just when I am really trying to concentrate ...

7. The cemetery bell across the road rings for a solid 10 minutes practically every single time that I am urgently trying to proof-read a translation, in order to deliver it on time...

OK, that is a few of them, anyway.

[Edited at 2005-07-26 20:37]

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
My complications Jul 26, 2005

I am with Astrid:

1. Three of my best clients all want an immediate translation at exactly the same moment ...

2. My customer sends me a document with 220 pages of which 160 contain images and he wants me to do it in Trados in 2 days flat.

3. When the text I am translating has not been read the last 10 years and is full of mistakes.

4. When my cat decides he wants some quality time and decides to walk all over my keyboard.

5. When my desk phone and mobile phone both decide to ring at the same time.

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Some other complications Jul 27, 2005

1. A not reliable computer: The bildscreen going blank on 3 hours afternoon on a friday with an urgent translation having to be back on monday noon. On the very same monday morning having to rush to the ER because out of stress I missed one of the steps of the stairs --> 4 hours by the ER to get my feet sorted out (and I had been invalidated for 4 weeks). --> I will never take such urgent texts anymore and don't trust my computer (and word: last time it refused to open my document anymore after I had translated 90 % of a 10000-word job). Now I have 2 computer and I will get this week my 3rd screen.

2. Formating problem when working with trados because the texts had macros and trados mixed the macros with its own ones.

3. Client sending 50-pages fax the day I couldn't rely on my scanner (and the text had to be sent to another translator who has no fax).

4. Translations were the source text is so badly written that you spent more time looking on the Internet for what the autor could have meant than actually translating the text. I did understand the text but my source text was a bad translation itself.

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 27, 2005

Dear Prozians,
Thanks a LOT to all of them who participated in this discussion. As someone is disturbed by cat's run over keyboard and someone over the yelling of the neighbourhood kids,
similarily, I feel too much disturbed, when my youngest brother yells for a computer game when I've some urgent job in my hand !

Ph. No. 00977 56 530738

Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pets Jul 30, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

I am with Astrid:

4. When my cat decides he wants some quality time and decides to walk all over my keyboard.

That's exacctly what my cat does. Or presses the key "C" or "Q" for 5 seconds (and then chases the letters).
Or chases movimg objects on the screen.
The dog (a Scottie) is better. She just occasionally browses through my dictionary.

Any other pet owner?

Other disturbing factors:
1. A certain local Croatian TV channel with folk music
2. Someone watching football match on TV (or, worse, when a significant match of the national team is broadcasted, as everyone in the neighbourhood is shouting and screaming).
2. Heat (I have to turn off my computer for half an hour)
3. The dog and teh cat demand food at the same time
4. Neighbour washing his car every 2 days (in the city centre)
5. Some XY companies sending me 8 emails in a single morning askig me if I could agree to the rate of 0.03 USD. (Polite: NO. Again: No. + 5+ mails after that with the same question).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complications in translation jobs!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs