Off topic: international quality of life survey
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/international/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3372495&d=2005

Click in link in text to see details for other countries, methodology etc.

Found this when reading local news this morning. Ireland is top, which rather surprises me, as I lived there for a year recently, and was glad to return to Spain (ranked 10); mind you I was a student, so wasn't benefiting from the 4th highest income level in the world.

Some of my Irish colleagues will be surprised too, they'll have heard of the 'rip-off Ireland' movement....maybe we are just begrudgers after all!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:57
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't believe everything that you read... Sep 2, 2005

As a person who has lived in some of the top- and some of the bottom-ranked countries, I don't think this list makes much sense. Quality of life is what you make out of it, period. No offense to the top rated countries; this is just my experience. In one of the bottom-ranked countries I dealt with shakey plumbing, water that just stopped running regularly and I think I still lived better than I did in a few of the top rated countries; I was certainly happier. And I was making a local salary, living among the locals, etc (i.e. no special privileges). Just my two cents and, in any case, thanks for the diversion.
LNS

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

international quality of life survey

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs