PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

Dear Prozians,

Recently I've heard one fact, that I didn't know earlier i.e.

'Snake eats/consumes harmful infra-red/ultra-violet rays of sun.'

These words are of a decent personality and a respectable one in the society.

Do you agree with it?

And please can you explain me it in detail?

Thanks a LOT to all friends!

PRAKAASH
+977 56 530738

craigs
craigs
Local time: 05:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matter of perspective Sep 2, 2005

I'm sure if you could ask what he fears most, it might be a man with a hatchet. That would shorten his life more than any UV rays.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Bad Translation? Sep 2, 2005

Maybe the original language of the quote said Absorbs and not eats...

In French, absorb for example can mean eat. This could be the mistake of by a poor [both senses fo the word] translator...:)

The proposition: Snakes absorb harmful rays from the sun...

makes sense...after all, many snakes are not supposed to be absorbing rays from the suns...and the ones that are, dry snakes [ha ha] are probably getting junk just like the rest of us.

[Edited at 20
... See more

In French, absorb for example can mean eat. This could be the mistake of by a poor [both senses fo the word] translator...:)

makes sense...after all, many snakes are not supposed to be absorbing rays from the suns...and the ones that are, dry snakes [ha ha] are probably getting junk just like the rest of us.

[Edited at 2005-09-02 21:43]
Collapse

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
English
+ ...
Reptiles Sep 4, 2005

[quote]Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

All reptiles and amphibians absorb energy from the sun, it's one of the ways in which they regulate their body temperature. Since they are all "cold blooded" and cannot produce heat independently (unlike mammals and birds) they are obligated to use various environmental factors to raise, lower and adjust their body temperature. Yes, it's "absorb" and not "eat".

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 13, 2005

[quote]willmatter wrote:

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

All reptiles and amphibians absorb energy from the sun, it's one of the ways in which they regulate their body temperature. Since they are all "cold blooded" and cannot produce heat independently (unlike mammals and birds) they are obligated to use various environmental factors to raise, lower and adjust their body temperature. Yes, it's "absorb" and not "eat".

Thanks initially for solving my curiosity!
May I have anymore reference to prove this fact?
Thanks in Advance!
Yours Sincerely,
PRAKAASH
+977 56 530738

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one more question please! Sep 21, 2005

[quote]willmatter wrote:

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

In this way, whether they help in reducing the amount of harmful ultra-violet/infra-red rays of sun as well? Means they also help in making an environmental balance?

Is it true?

Thanks for your response in advance!

PRAKAASH
+977 56 530738

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A curiousity to be dealt with-

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »