Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 4, 2005

Dear friends,

I was surprised not see any post on this site dealing with the Katerina hurricane, I know this site may not be a suitable place to discuss these matters, but we are all humans after all. It would be really nice if we could all participate in collecting donations for this tragic event. I have two ideas in my mind that may help, and I hope you can share your ideas with us.

1- It would be really helpful if Proz.com could allocate a percentage of the platinum
... See more
Dear friends,

I was surprised not see any post on this site dealing with the Katerina hurricane, I know this site may not be a suitable place to discuss these matters, but we are all humans after all. It would be really nice if we could all participate in collecting donations for this tragic event. I have two ideas in my mind that may help, and I hope you can share your ideas with us.

1- It would be really helpful if Proz.com could allocate a percentage of the platinum members' fees for hurricane relief.
2- I was wondering also if we could have a link to the red cross donations site right on the main page of Proz.com and even on every member profile.

If you have any other ideas by which we can help the victims of Katerina, please share them with us. Thank you.

Ziad
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/95140249.html Sep 4, 2005

Ziad Marzouka wrote:

Dear friends,

1- It would be really helpful if Proz.com could allocate a percentage of the platinum members' fees for hurricane relief.
2- I was wondering also if we could have a link to the red cross donations site right on the main page of Proz.com and even on every member profile.

If you have any other ideas by which we can help the victims of Katerina, please share them with us. Thank you.

Ziad

Emergency services website needs translation (volunteer).

So far, translators have been found for Creole, Spanish, French, Portuguese, & Vietnamese.

The website that needs translation is:
http://www.mirawebdesign.com/katrina.html#medicalvol

For more info, see:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/95140249.html

or contact: [email protected]

(I'm just reposting their plea for help)

thanks

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:24
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Seconded Sep 4, 2005

Ziad Marzouka wrote:

I second this idea, but maybe only on ProZ non-individual pages.

-jr

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Katrina is a terrible tragedy Sep 4, 2005

I do agree. And it is terrible what is happening there.

But please keep Proz free of "forced" donation links. Everybody who is able to use this web site, should also be able to navigate to a web site where he/she can donate money.

I do also not support that Proz should donate part of the money I spent on the improvement of this site for any other purpose. I am old enough to decide to whom I give money and to whom I do not give money.

My opinion might not
... See more

But please keep Proz free of "forced" donation links. Everybody who is able to use this web site, should also be able to navigate to a web site where he/she can donate money.

I do also not support that Proz should donate part of the money I spent on the improvement of this site for any other purpose. I am old enough to decide to whom I give money and to whom I do not give money.

My opinion might not be considered "politically correct" in the light of the disaster that is happening in the New Orleans area. But I can imagine that we could also open a can of worms going into this direction. Or do you consider spending some money for the people in Dafur Sudan less important, or in Niger, or Ethopia, or to fight the injustice that is happening in the gold fields in the South American jungle, not to forget that we could spend money to help to build up Iraque again etc.

I better stop now with my list. But I do hope that you understand my point. Proz is for "translators business" and not for collecting money that is spend to save the world.

Kind regards
Siegfried

[Edited at 2005-09-04 07:58]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
sarmb said it well Sep 4, 2005

sarmb wrote:

My opinion might not be considered "politically correct" in the light of the disaster that is happening in the New Orleans area. But I can imagine that we could also open a can of worms going into this direction. Or do you consider spending some money for the people in Dafur Sudan less important, or in Niger, or Ethopia, or to fight the injustice that is happening in the gold fields in the South American jungle, not to forget that we could spend money to help to build up Iraque again etc.

I better stop now with my list. But I do hope that you understand my point. Proz is for "translators business" and not for collecting money that is spend to save the world.

Kind regards
Siegfried

I perfectly agree, not because I don´t feel moved or am being inhuman, but I agree to his arguments, that are legitimate and well grounded. Best regards, Brandis

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ok but Sep 4, 2005

I clearly agree that everyone should do his best to help the way he can.

I do not understand this suggestion of Platinum fee percentage. The fee we pay belongs to the site, and we have services for that. I don't feel I have the right to tell people what they should do with their money - even if it's helping the needy -

Italians say it wiselely: "Non contare i soldi in tasca mia!"

As in every natural disaster, one can already pray: "May God bring relief to o
... See more
I clearly agree that everyone should do his best to help the way he can.

I do not understand this suggestion of Platinum fee percentage. The fee we pay belongs to the site, and we have services for that. I don't feel I have the right to tell people what they should do with their money - even if it's helping the needy -

Italians say it wiselely: "Non contare i soldi in tasca mia!"

As in every natural disaster, one can already pray: "May God bring relief to our fellow human brothers and sisters!"

Salaam,

Ouadoud
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Oil prices should be reduced by a dollar Sep 4, 2005

a barrel or so for the sake of the needy or for the sake of God, to save the situation. But it is not possible, due to some cartell system that undergoes regular pricing politics with the other hemisphere or the world, whether there is a calamity at the doorstep or not is an issue of no importance at all. After all we are also brothers and sisters, why can´t everybody be helped this way. No, oil politics have nothing to do anything with any other. I personally do not like to see my page stamped... See more
a barrel or so for the sake of the needy or for the sake of God, to save the situation. But it is not possible, due to some cartell system that undergoes regular pricing politics with the other hemisphere or the world, whether there is a calamity at the doorstep or not is an issue of no importance at all. After all we are also brothers and sisters, why can´t everybody be helped this way. No, oil politics have nothing to do anything with any other. I personally do not like to see my page stamped help the needy of that kind, instead if there were some corner like red-cross or so,where those who like to help can turn to and help in thier own individual manner and capacity, instead of making it mandatory for the whole site together with all members, whether platinum or not. Atually those who wish to help can directly do so on the red-cross or the Brot für die Welt or the similar. Best regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-09-04 09:10]
Collapse

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Local time: 07:24
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Same topic posted before by "gad" Sep 4, 2005

http://www.proz.com/topic/36334

[Edited at 2005-09-04 18:36]

Tharaa Hafez
Tharaa Hafez
Egypt
Arabic to English
+ ...
I do agree Sep 4, 2005

sarmb wrote:

Kind regards
Siegfried

I perferctly agree with your opinion .

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
German to English
+ ...
Agree with sarmb Sep 4, 2005

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I am locking the topic Sep 5, 2005

as it is sliding down to political discussion. To those whose postings remained unvetted I would like to remind the "no politics" rule of this site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help hurricane Katrina victims

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »