Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: What is the meaning of your first name?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Claudia, the lame Sep 13, 2005

Claudia, Claudio, Claudine, Claude... they all come from the Latin "claudicare", which means to limp.

The meaning is not nice and despite of that I like my name.
I didn't like at all when I had to accept that its pronounciation would change because I had moved to a French speaking country, the sound A-U from Spanish became O in French.

I don't know why, but there are tons of Claudias of my generation in Chile. I remember that when I was a child, when I told peopl
... See more
Claudia, Claudio, Claudine, Claude... they all come from the Latin "claudicare", which means to limp.

The meaning is not nice and despite of that I like my name.
I didn't like at all when I had to accept that its pronounciation would change because I had moved to a French speaking country, the sound A-U from Spanish became O in French.

I don't know why, but there are tons of Claudias of my generation in Chile. I remember that when I was a child, when I told people my name, they always added: "Claudia Cardinale", well, she seems to have had lots of fans among our dads.

In other Latin American countries it's not so common.
Anyway I have never got the impression that Claudias are common people

Claudia
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:01
English to German
Rebekka Sep 13, 2005

My name is Hebrew in origin and Rebekka was mentioned in the Old Testament as the wife of Isaac and mother of Esau and Jacob. Even though this spelling is supposed to be the German spelling, most people would spell it with 'cc' meaning that to this day I have to mention that I spell my name with double-k because everybody both in Germany and the UK automatically spells it with 'cc'.

The meaning of the name is not 100% clear. It might mean 'snare' from the Hebrew word 'ribqah'.
... See more
My name is Hebrew in origin and Rebekka was mentioned in the Old Testament as the wife of Isaac and mother of Esau and Jacob. Even though this spelling is supposed to be the German spelling, most people would spell it with 'cc' meaning that to this day I have to mention that I spell my name with double-k because everybody both in Germany and the UK automatically spells it with 'cc'.

The meaning of the name is not 100% clear. It might mean 'snare' from the Hebrew word 'ribqah'.

And there is a story attached to how I came by that name. When I was born, my parents hadn't decided on a name yet. My mum had been toying with the idea of Kordula but my dad wasn't keen. He was also against the growing use of names that sounded as if they came from romance novels (as he called it) such as Bianca, Tina and the like.

Anyway, here I was still nameless when my grandmother, my mum's mum, suggested Rebekka. Our village church has a chapel at the base of the church tower with 2 stain glass windows displaying 'Ruth' on the left window and 'Rebekka' on the right. My dad loved the name having read Daphne du Maurier's novel Rebecca and he loved the unusual spelling even more. So thanks, gran, for giving me a beautiful and to this day still relatively rare name.

As much as I hated it as a child because other kids teased me and called me 'Bäcker' (German for 'baker') instead, I've grown to love my name.

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-09-13 14:37]
Collapse

marybro
marybro  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
behind the name : Anabel Sep 16, 2005

[quote]Anabel Martínez wrote:

Quite a list...interesting name

hNames that are related to AMABEL: ANNABEL f English
ANNABELLA f English, Italian
ANNABELLE f English
MABEL f English
MABELLA f English
MABELLE f English
MABLE f English
MAE f English
MAYBELLE f English
MAYBELLINE f English

ttp://www.behindthename.com/php/extra.php?extra=r&terms=amabel

[Edited at 2005-09-16 21:29]

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:01
English
+ ...
Annabel and Mabel Sep 16, 2005

I always thought the latter was from Mary Elizabeth / Maria Isabel - shortened to Maribel or "Ma-bell" here in Spain.

As for Annabel, it unfortunately sounds like the Welsh for disabled. In fact, this is an aspect we haven't really touched on in this thread. Which names sound great in one language and too close to a terrible word in others?

I'll start us off. I always feel sorry for Catalans called "Xavi" who meet Brits and introduce themselves. The Brits hear: "My nam
... See more
I always thought the latter was from Mary Elizabeth / Maria Isabel - shortened to Maribel or "Ma-bell" here in Spain.

As for Annabel, it unfortunately sounds like the Welsh for disabled. In fact, this is an aspect we haven't really touched on in this thread. Which names sound great in one language and too close to a terrible word in others?

I'll start us off. I always feel sorry for Catalans called "Xavi" who meet Brits and introduce themselves. The Brits hear: "My name is Shabby!" and roll over laughing. Or Catalans called Jordi who happen to visit the North east of England and amuse the local "Geordies" (Natives of Newcastle) by having a first name that sounds identical to the name most of the locals are known by outside of the area.

Any further examples?
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
So the real fun just beginning? Sep 17, 2005

Berni Armstrong wrote:

To be honest, a number of names in Western languages would have terrible or near-terrible meanings in Turkish. Even that there's a list made up by school kids, Delegates to the International... [euhm... let's call it] Anatomy Congress, which has been a fun 'classic' for student generations. But of course, I won't give here any examples from that list

For a pleasant example: the pronounciation of Anna is almost the same as one of the two words that mean 'mother' in Turkish. It's not the one most commonly used to call your mother, but is rather used as an exclamation sometimes, exactly the same way as 'mama mia!'. And as it's a very common Christian name, there can be funny misunderstandings when a real Anna is around.

[Edited at 2005-09-17 14:16]

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Anna... Sep 17, 2005

Xola wrote:

For a pleasant example: the pronounciation of Anna is almost the same as one of the two words that mean 'mother' in Turkish. It's the one that's not most commonly used to call your mother, but is rather used as an exclamation sometimes, exactly the same way as 'mamamia!'. And as it's a very common Christian name, there can be funny misunderstandings when real Anna's are around.

My mother's name is Anna, and imagine me answering a question "What's your mother's name?" to a bunch of young Turkish friends (age 12-14)some 10 years ago...

Thank you for reminding me, Özden! This always brings a smile...

Seadeta

JMX
JMX
German to English
Saskia Sep 28, 2005

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Saskia Steur wrote:

My name is Saskia and to date I have not been able to trace a real meaning. I am not even sure of the origins in terms of people or language.

Any suggestions are welcome)

Interesting topic, by the way.
Saskia

I named my daughter Saskia because I thought it was a beautiful name. Like you, I have not been able to determine exactly what it means or where it came from (except that it was the name of Rembrandt's wife). So indeed, any information is welcome.

Tina

Hi there!

Saskia is feminimum of "Sachso", Old High German "sahsun", meaning "der Sachse", aka the Saxon.

My name is Jörg, which is a variant of Georg, aka George.

[Edited at 2005-09-29 06:49]

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Hello Verónica, I'm Veronika Sep 29, 2005

[quote]Verobrun wrote:

I don't really know neither the meaning nor the origin of my name, but Verónica was the lady who dried Jesus' face.

You are absolutely correct with this. And on top of it, she then found Juses's image imprinted on the towel. Anyway, Veronica, Veronika etc. comes from the old Italian Berenica and there are two explanations of our name. One starts from the biblical story and the spelling influenced by the ecclesiastical Latin phrase vera icon meaning "true image". The other one has much to do with Greek word "Niká" - victory (a famous rebellion in the 6th century A.D. - I believe during the reign of Justinian, Emperor of Byzantium). I.e. Veronica and its equivalents in other languages should be "the carrier of the victory". Or as some linguists say, "Vero" also means wild and ambitious. Choose the version you like most:-)))
With best regards, Veronika from Plzen (Czech Republic)

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
German to English
+ ...
Daina > folksong Sep 29, 2005

A "daina" is a Latvian folksong.

Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

Latvian dainas often feature pre-Christian themes and legends, drone vocal styles and Baltic zithers (kokle).
Dainas are very short, usually only one or two unrhymed stanzas, unrhymed and in a four-footed trochaic metre. Lyrically, dainas concern themselves with native mythology but, in contrast to most similar forms, does not have any legendary heroes. Stories often revolve around pre-Christian deit
... See more
A "daina" is a Latvian folksong.

Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

Latvian dainas often feature pre-Christian themes and legends, drone vocal styles and Baltic zithers (kokle).
Dainas are very short, usually only one or two unrhymed stanzas, unrhymed and in a four-footed trochaic metre. Lyrically, dainas concern themselves with native mythology but, in contrast to most similar forms, does not have any legendary heroes. Stories often revolve around pre-Christian deities like the sun goddess Saule, the moon god Meness and, most notably, the life of people, especially its three most important events - birth, wedding and death (including burial). The first collection of dainas was published between 1894 and 1915 as Latvju Dainas by Krišjānis Barons.

I love my name, as the "dainas" are very meaningful to Latvian culture. If I had had a boy instead of 2 girls, I think I would have named him Krišjānis after Krišjānis Barons!

Speaking of naming children - we looked through the Latvian name day calendar to find the names of our two. As far as I know, "Zinta" has its roots in the verb "to know" and wise people are called "zintnieki." I don't know the origin of "Indra" except that it is a traditional Latvian girls' name and the name of a Hindu god.
Collapse

ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is my daughter Sep 30, 2005

I was the only child of four Panamanian children who was born in Spain (my mother was born in Carcastillo, Navarra), so my mother wanted a true Panamanian name for me (my older sister is Carmen, my older is Calixto, after my grandfather and father, my younger brother is Javier).

They came up with Anayansi, an indian princess that became the concubine to Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, the Spaniard conquistador who discovered the path to the southern sea through Panama and thus the Pacific O
... See more
I was the only child of four Panamanian children who was born in Spain (my mother was born in Carcastillo, Navarra), so my mother wanted a true Panamanian name for me (my older sister is Carmen, my older is Calixto, after my grandfather and father, my younger brother is Javier).

They came up with Anayansi, an indian princess that became the concubine to Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, the Spaniard conquistador who discovered the path to the southern sea through Panama and thus the Pacific Ocean.

In Panama we have parks, theaters, bussinesses and a whole of other stuff named after Anayansi; nevertheless, when I was little, no one ever remembered my whole name, either mispelled it o simply shortened it to 'Ana'.

I discovered its true meaning in a history book when I was in highschool, that's when I started to reconcile myself with it and learned to love it.

Up to this day, not one of my friends or relatives call me by my full name; the only person that does is my husband(!) who loves the name so much he wants to give it to our first daughter, so there you go.

...this topic has proven that the need for recognition is very much a part of human nature!

Good going Seadeta!

PS: this could be a good name for your next born Nancy, if you're still thinking about it...I read that Nancy is a variation of Ann!
Collapse

Maurizio Spagnuolo
Maurizio Spagnuolo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
maurizio Sep 30, 2005

Here's mine, looks like it was kind of popular in the '60s (I know lots of Maurizios born in those years).

It's a Roman name which means "Son of Maurus": "Maurus" means "dark-skinned" in Latin.

More info from http://www.behindthename.com:

From the Roman name Mauricius, which derives from MAURUS .

Saint Maurice was a Christian Roman soldier from Egypt. He a
... See more
Here's mine, looks like it was kind of popular in the '60s (I know lots of Maurizios born in those years).

It's a Roman name which means "Son of Maurus": "Maurus" means "dark-skinned" in Latin.

More info from http://www.behindthename.com:

From the Roman name Mauricius, which derives from MAURUS .

Saint Maurice was a Christian Roman soldier from Egypt. He and the other Christians in his legion were supposedly massacred by emperor Maximian for refusing to worship Roman gods.

Thus, he is the patron saint of infantry soldiers. Also, Maurice of Nassau, the prince of Orange, was a military commander from the Netherlands who helped establish the Dutch Republic.

Very nice topic!
All the best,
Maurizio
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Thierry Oct 4, 2005

Thierry is from German origin (Dietrich ???)

St Thierry was a bishop in Köln (Germany) in the 5th century.

Thierry I (Clovis'son), Thierry II, III and IV where the three first kings (in France) of Merovengian dinasty. They were well known under the nickname of "The Lazy Kings" because they use to travel across teir territory laying in litters towed by oxen (and in this wicked times, they did nt'even Internet to spend the long travel delays...).

I think tha
... See more
Thierry is from German origin (Dietrich ???)

St Thierry was a bishop in Köln (Germany) in the 5th century.

Thierry I (Clovis'son), Thierry II, III and IV where the three first kings (in France) of Merovengian dinasty. They were well known under the nickname of "The Lazy Kings" because they use to travel across teir territory laying in litters towed by oxen (and in this wicked times, they did nt'even Internet to spend the long travel delays...).

I think that, giving me this first name, my fathers showed some prophetic gifts...
Collapse

Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:01
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Carolyn Oct 5, 2005

My name is a derivative of Caroline, which is the French feminine form of Carolus which is the latin form of Charles! Ugh! This in turn comes from the Germanic 'Karl', which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior".

I was given this name because my Mum is French and used to baby-sit a little girl as a teenager called Caroline. Of course, my Dad bein
... See more
My name is a derivative of Caroline, which is the French feminine form of Carolus which is the latin form of Charles! Ugh! This in turn comes from the Germanic 'Karl', which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior".

I was given this name because my Mum is French and used to baby-sit a little girl as a teenager called Caroline. Of course, my Dad being from New-Zealand (i.e. anglophone), my name would have been pronounced as it is in English. In order to avoid this, they just made it Carolyn in order to preserve a more similar pronounciation in both languages.

As my sister's name is Cecilia, here is more info on this one:

Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name Caecilius, which was derived from Latin caecus "blind". According to legend, Saint Cecilia was a 3rd-century martyr who was sentenced to die because she refused to worship the Roman gods. After attempts to suffocate her failed, she had her head chopped off. She is the patron saint of music and musicians.

My other sister's name is Sophie

French form of Sophia, from Σοφία (Greek, which means "wisdom" in Greek. This was the name of an early, probably mythical, saint who died of grief after her three daughters were martyred.

Cecilia Civetta wrote:

... means "blind". Ironically enough, I had to wear glasses when I was only three!
I love my name though, indeed it's my favorite!

[Edited at 2005-09-11 18:03]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Relatives of Carolyn, on this side Oct 5, 2005

The Turkish word for king, "kral", shares the same root as your name; it's adopted from a personal name in fact, and yes, your guess is right: from Carolus Magnus, or Charlemagne. Female form is "kraliçe". None are personal names though, but there are other female names in Turkish that mean "queen".

[Edited at 2005-10-05 16:48]

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 19:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Kim Oct 5, 2005

Vietnamese girl's name!

meaning: golden!

Dad wanted to name me Karen but then decided on Kim from Rudyar Kipling's book!

No, I am NOT Kimberley!!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the meaning of your first name?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »