Mobile menu

Australian presence on ProZ.com
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 09:35
Oct 15, 2005

G’day/evening everyone!

I’m having a quiet night in and trying to catch up with Proz’s latest developments... there are so many new features!

Browsing through the site, I began to wonder how many Australian members there are and in what languages. There may be enough of us to organise a mega-powwow and we don’t even know it yet.

So maybe we could turn this posting into a Down Under Translators Summary. Just an idea. What do you reckon?

[Edited at 2005-10-17 00:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxooooo
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Onya, mate! Oct 15, 2005

I reckon is a bloody good idea...
I wish I could stil be there...
Get those aussies together, mate!
Cheers.
ABH wrote:

G’day/evening everyone!

I’m having a quiet night in and trying to catch up with Proz’s latest developments... there are so many new features!

Browsing through the site, I began to wonder how many Australian members there are and in what languages. There may be enough of us to organise a mega-powwow and we don’t even know it yet.

So maybe we could turn this posting into a Down Under Translators Summary. Just an idea. What do you reckon?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-15 14:28]

A Hayes
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
from St Kilda (or Freo) to Kings Cross... and beyond Oct 15, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-17 00:14]

Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm Autralian but in Italy Oct 15, 2005

But I am going home for 6 weeks next month!
I will be in Sydney! Would love a POW WOW opp!

Curious to know how many of us there are! Although I am not in my homeland...

You can take the girl out of Australia
BUT you can't the Australia out of the girl!

Kim

Brian Edwards
Australia
Local time: 10:35
German to English
+ ...
Another member of the Aussie contingent Oct 15, 2005

Glad to see your entry. I am a casual member of the proz.com circle living in the Blue Mts west of Sydney. In my other life I am a ft teacher librarian in a Catholic senior high school in western Sydney. I completed my first serious paid translation job (FRE>ENG) only last week, so I suppose that makes me a translator novice. I also work during school holidays as a medical interpreter (FRE>ENG/ENG>FRE) for Sydney West Area Health Service. I also teach evening class French & German. I look forward to my T/I work becoming a more prominent option in my life as retirement approaches - in 8 more years! Best wishes - Brian E.

Marisa Schiavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hello from Perth! Oct 17, 2005

I always wonder how many of us there are in Australia! I'd love to meet up with other prozians somewhere in Australia, of course, living in WA doesn't make it very easy but I'll be in Sydney for a few days at the end of the year, who knows, may be we could catch up!

A Hayes
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent. Oct 17, 2005

Kimmy and Marisa,

we should organise something (casual), as you two might be around at the same time. What do you say, Brian?

I might be going to NZ for Xmas, but I should be here up until mid December. So just let us know exactly when you’ll be in Sydney.

Marisa, I lived in Perth 2 and a half years!

Marisa Schiavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fremantle by any chance? Oct 17, 2005

Hi Alejandra,
I live close to Fremantle, did you live near there as well? I saw you said something about Freo in one of your emails. I'll be in Sydney from Dec. 10th till Dec. 12th (I think) only a short stopover before going to Argentina, it'll be good to catch up.
We should definitely organize something.
Feel free to contact me at marisaschiavi@eftel.com so that we can organize a small gathering at least!
Marisa

Hope Training
Local time: 06:35
English to Thai
+ ...
On the border of Thailand and Laos and how! Oct 20, 2005

I currently work as a Linguisitcs lecturer at Ubon Ratchatani University...the province is in the North East of Thailand, bordering Laos. I have done bits and pieces regards Thai-Eng/ Eng-Thai translation, some of it paid, the rest of it as 'favours'. However, after too much of the unpaid latter, I am looking to get a little more professional in that market.

I have been here just over three years and with the recent news that my partner and I are having our first child it would seem we'll be here for some time longer and for that I thank whatever greater IT IS that brought us such an opportunity. At times I yearn to be submerged back into those laconic, relaxing Australian tones that so symbolise to me what it probably means to be 'Australian' but for now the search is still on...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Australian presence on ProZ.com

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs