Mobile menu

Off topic: Loss of mate
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
Nov 19, 2005

It is not often that I spend time on forwarded mails. But today's mail was an exception. My friend Ravi Balasubramanian sent me this account in an email. I was quite moved by it.

Disclaimer: I don't know whether this posting will be objected to as being unconnected to translation. But I feel that it is a sort of translation of a sorrow experienced by another species. If there are some negative points about the write up, it is surely due to an inadequacy in my writing.

I was reminded of the Valmiki Ramayana. Sage Valmiki saw a hunter shooting down one of the two Krauncha birds. On seeing the lament of the surviving bird, the sage is moved to utter a curse on the hunter banishing him to wander without abode all the days of his life.

He regretted immediately his loss of temper. But then he was intrigued by the wording of the curse. It had come out as a metered verse. As he was pondering about this, Sage Narada appeared before him and told him that the incident was as intended by God and that he should now write the story of Srirama using the same meter. Thus all the 24,000 verses have the same meter in the Valmiki Ramayana.

Now to the pictorial account below.

1. It was a gloomy Saturday afternoon. A flock of birds was spending great time searching for food and playing on the main road. Out of the sudden, a big truck sped through... sad thing had happened again.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image001.j pg[/img]

2. Birds can feel too. Although this bird had already died, its mate flew over to her immediately, just like a husband, unable to accept the truth.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image002.j pg[/img]

3. Not long after that, another car stormed in causing the dead bird's body to whirl with the wind. The spouse noticed the movement. As if she was still alive, he quickly flew beside her again.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image003.j pg[/img]

4. He stayed beside her and yelled ... "WHY ARE YOU NOT GETTING UP!?"

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image004.j pg[/img]

5. Unfortunately, she's no longer able to hear him. In the meantime, he's trying to lift her up.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image005.j pg[/img]

6. He, of course, was unable to bear the burden. Another car soon passed by. He quickly flew off. Once the car had gone, he came down again.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image006.j pg[/img]

7. Although other birds told him its useles, he never gave up. He was trying his best to lift her up to see her flying again. Another car passed by, her dead body whirled again as if still alive and trying to fly.

[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7841/585/1600/image007.j pg[/img]

8. He had used all of his energy, however...
The photographer said he couldn't shoot any longer. The photographer was so worried that the living bird was going to get hurt by passing cars. So he picked up the dead bird and left it at the roadside. The live one still lingered at a nearby tree as if crying with his singing and refused to leave.

Do humans have the same feelings nowadays? I wonder.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

P.S. After posting the above I see that the images have not come in my screen. Can somebody help me in making them visible? Anyhow, I have posted this in my blog vide
http://raghtransint.blogspot.com/2005/11/loss-of-friend.html
[Edited at 2005-11-19 12:24]

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:16]

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:17]

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:18]

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:20]

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:52]

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:18
English to Turkish
+ ...
thanks Nov 19, 2005

Dear Narasimhan

Thank you for sharing this "translation" of sorrow. I am quite sure that all animals have feelings. But you are right to wonder about humans nowadays.

While speaking of feelings and animals, I would advise all to view, if possible, this beautiful film:
March of the Penguins (La Marche de l'empereur)

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:54]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Balaban Nov 19, 2005

It required quite a few attempts before setting the link straight. Are you able to see the images in your screen conataining this thread? I cannot. Hence I gave the link to my blog.

By the way, I rendered this into Tamil as well and posted it in my Tamil blog at http://dondu.blogspot.com/2005/11/blog-post_19.html

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Balaban Cerit wrote:

Dear Narasimhan

Thank you for sharing this "translation" of sorrow. I am quite sure that all animals have feelings. But you are right to wonder about humans nowadays.

While speaking of feelings and animals, I would advise all to view, if possible, this beautiful film:
March of the Penguins (La Marche de l'empereur)

[Edited at 2005-11-19 14:19]

Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
No, I can't Nov 19, 2005

No, Narasimhan.

I can't see the images on this page too.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Were you able to see the images at least in my English blog "Musings of a translator"? Nov 19, 2005

Were you able to see the images at least in my English blog "Musings of a translator"?

I wonder. Am I missing something while trying to upload the images to Proz thread? Can somebody help?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Balaban Cerit wrote:

No, Narasimhan.

I can't see the images on this page too.

Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes, no problem Nov 19, 2005

The pictures can be seen fine in your blog, "Musings of a translator".

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
I saw the pictures on your blog too Nov 19, 2005

Very moving and sad.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
What a moving translation Nov 19, 2005

Dear Narasimhan,

I was very touched by your post. I definitely believe that animals have strong feelings. Here is my personal story:

When my father died about three years ago everyone came to our house after the funeral. There was a picture of my dad on the credenza. Our Rothweiler dog (who was inseparable from my dad) went to sit in front of the picture, made a sound like a howl and cried - actual tears like a human ran down his face). If my mother, myself and a few others had not seen it, we might not have believed it.

Exactly two weeks after my dad's dead, he jumped the fence, went from our quiet street to a thoroughfare and threw himself in front of a passing truck. Some workers saw it and told us what happened. They took his dog tag, asked around to find out whom he belonged to. They brought him home to us.

God bless!
Lucinda

Emanuela Ankrom  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Nov 19, 2005

Dear Narasimhan,
Bahut dhanyaavad for sharing these touching verses with us.
Emanuela

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Here are the images Nov 21, 2005

P.S. After posting the above I see that the images have not come in my screen. Can somebody help me in making them visible?

They take a long time to load, so you better show only the links.
-
Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.
Maybe it is best to link to your blog, instead.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 11:39]
I just see the seven crosses. Is there any ProZ.com template, where I have to check or uncheck some boxes before making the images visible?

No, there is no such ProZ.com template. I don't know what's wrong with these foto URLs or the involved servers..
But I recommend using simple bbcode tags [_i_m_g_]_URL_[_/_i_m_g_] (without the _underscores) instead of your sophisticated html tags.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:30]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not visible in my screen Nov 21, 2005

I just see the seven crosses. Is there any proz template, where I have to check or uncheck some boxes before making the images visible?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:18
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Moving Nov 21, 2005

I read the story on your blog. Thank you for sharing this.

[Edited at 2006-01-22 11:14]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Harry Nov 21, 2005

I have already provided link to my blog. Thanks Harry.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Harry Bornemann wrote:

P.S. After posting the above I see that the images have not come in my screen. Can somebody help me in making them visible?

They take a long time to load, so you better show only the links.
-
Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.
Maybe it is best to link to your blog, instead.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 11:39]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I fully understand how you feel Nov 21, 2005

I fully understand how you feel, because I too felt the same. The moment I received the email giving out this story, I worked as if possessed and passed it to you all.

I cried as I was typing the account in my mother tongue (Tamil) and the words came out as if by magic.

And a similar sorrow gave rise to the world-famous epic of Ramayana by the Sage Valmiki.

We are in exalted company.

Regards
N.Raghavan
Anjo Sterringa wrote:

I read the story on your blog. Thank you for sharing this - there I sat sniffing in front of my computer...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Loss of mate

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs