https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/39252-goodbye_jane_and_good_luck_.html

Off topic: Goodbye Jane and good luck .....
Thread poster: Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2005

Without wishing to enter into a debate AT ALL about the merits (or lack thereof) of the recent decision taken by site management to red card Ms. Jane Lamb Ruiz, I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Jane for all her linguistic help and input on this site, and in particular for me on the Portuguese to English site.

Those of you who don't know about this decision and have been helped by her in the past may like to drop her a line.

Even though
... See more
Without wishing to enter into a debate AT ALL about the merits (or lack thereof) of the recent decision taken by site management to red card Ms. Jane Lamb Ruiz, I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Jane for all her linguistic help and input on this site, and in particular for me on the Portuguese to English site.

Those of you who don't know about this decision and have been helped by her in the past may like to drop her a line.

Even though we didn't always agree, you'll be sorely missed by many serious linguists.

Good luck for the future
Debs

[Edited at 2005-11-20 18:02]
Collapse

Mateus Gomes

Tom Walker (X)
Tom Walker (X)
French to English
What happened? Nov 20, 2005

So why was she shown the red card exactly? Things like this don't happen for no reason...

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please read.......... Nov 20, 2005

As a new member, I don't think you'd appreciate her input on the site as it's way before your time but as I pointed out the purpose of this posting is not gossipmongering, to delve into the background or debate the issue of the red card - the purpose is SIMPLY to say thank you.

Regards
Deborah

[Edited at 2005-11-20 19:10]

Mateus Gomes

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:12
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not a matter for forums Nov 20, 2005

Jane was informed of the reasons for this decision.

She had been warned and as she didn't respect Forum rule number 9 she was issued the "red card".

This is a private matter and should not be discussed in forums.

Thanks for your understanding

Claudia

[Edited at 2005-11-20 18:42]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
You'll be missed Nov 20, 2005

Deborah do Carmo wrote:

Even though we didn't always agree, you'll be sorely missed by many serious linguists.

Good luck for the future
Debs

[Edited at 2005-11-20 18:02]

I back Debbie's words and would like to send my personal best wishes to Jane. It's a shame that Jane's style seems to have intimidated some members of Proz, because those of us who know her as a pro colleague are well aware that she is passionately involved in her work and will defend her views to the full, but I for one have never seen a personal remark made to another translator or any other blatant 'offence' of the rules. She has helped many of us and some discussions have ended up enlightening us all, even though some may have seen them as 'agressive'. Jane has her style but that's Jane. Not all of us are meant to be meek and mild.
You will be missed. It's a real pity.

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Claudia.... Nov 20, 2005

I think you misunderstand the reason for my posting - I've made it quite clear that I do not want to delve into the reasons, the decision has been made, but there are some of us, mostly (currently) paying members, who'd like the opportunity to say thank you and show some recognition of her linguistic input to the glossaries - that's all.

Thank you for unlocking the topic.

Regards
Deborah

PS: Henry - nobody is debating your system, suggesting linguis
... See more
I think you misunderstand the reason for my posting - I've made it quite clear that I do not want to delve into the reasons, the decision has been made, but there are some of us, mostly (currently) paying members, who'd like the opportunity to say thank you and show some recognition of her linguistic input to the glossaries - that's all.

Thank you for unlocking the topic.

Regards
Deborah

PS: Henry - nobody is debating your system, suggesting linguistic ability - perceived or otherwise - has a bearing on compliance with the rules, questioning your decision or assuming anything - this is SIMPLY to say thank you to someone who has helped a lot of us - is this topic being locked AGAIN?

FWIW, I don't think legally or ethically you should be giving the background on Jane's case in public as she is not here to defend herself - but please there are some of us who would like to say thank you and recognize her input, would you please unlock the topic and recognize some of us may JUST want to do that.

P.P.S. Could you please advise on what grounds you've locked this topic - meant simply to say goodbye and thank someone - what happened to freedom of speech, or is the next step to hide the posting altogether? Many people don't know and may like to say thanks or drop her a line - what is wrong with that?

Regards
Deborah

[Edited at 2005-11-20 20:04]
Collapse

Mateus Gomes

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Adding my best wishes to Deborah's Nov 20, 2005

I've been helped by Jane too on several occasions. I'd just like to add my best wishes to Deborah's.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:12
SITE FOUNDER
Yellow card / red card system is employed, without regard to membership status or linguistic ability Nov 20, 2005

For those who may not be aware, we use a yellow-card / red-card system for termination of memberships based on rules violations.

From the moderator manual: "Except in the cases where immediate termination is called for, as outlined in the next section, a member must be given an 'official' warning--by a ProZ.com staff member--before termination of membership will be considered. The warning, which can be considered akin to a yellow card in football/soccer, will make clear that the ne
... See more
For those who may not be aware, we use a yellow-card / red-card system for termination of memberships based on rules violations.

From the moderator manual: "Except in the cases where immediate termination is called for, as outlined in the next section, a member must be given an 'official' warning--by a ProZ.com staff member--before termination of membership will be considered. The warning, which can be considered akin to a yellow card in football/soccer, will make clear that the next major violation will result in expulsion from ProZ.com. The yellow-card warning will be respectful of the member, and will make clear that any administrative block, etc., will have an end date and that should the member adhere to the rules in the future, full membership rights will be restored."

Jane was given a yellow card warning in February, for violations of KudoZ rules 3.4 (now 5.1) and 4.3 (now 4.4).

The red card was issued last week, for violation of forum rule 9.

Lest anyone assume otherwise, a significant number of emails and warnings from various moderators, to Jane, led up to both the yellow card and red card.

Some have argued that linguistic ability, or membership status, should be considered when site administrators enforce our rules. However, we expect all members to follow the rules, and choose to enforce them consistently, without regard to linguistic ability or membership status.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Goodbye Jane and good luck .....

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »