Thread poster: cebice
cebice
cebice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2005

I have received an e-mail telling me that I have wong $750,000 in an electronic e-mail that is run by Bill Gates and other important people in the world to promote use of the Internet. Is this a scam?
It sure sounds like it.
The funny thing is that they don't ask for money or anything. Just to respond to a certain individual with the details enclosed in the e-mail, such as number of the prize, serial number, etc.

Have you had an experience like that?

Any
... See more
I have received an e-mail telling me that I have wong $750,000 in an electronic e-mail that is run by Bill Gates and other important people in the world to promote use of the Internet. Is this a scam?
It sure sounds like it.
The funny thing is that they don't ask for money or anything. Just to respond to a certain individual with the details enclosed in the e-mail, such as number of the prize, serial number, etc.

Have you had an experience like that?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:16
Catalan to English
+ ...
Live addresses? Nov 21, 2005

They might not be after money for once, at least not directly.

Could also be a (rather laborious) way of capturing "live" e-mail addresses.

Andy

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
maybe not scam, but surely spam Nov 21, 2005

They will just spam you with hundreds of e-mails with offers and advertising. If you respond, you confirm that your e-mail address is active and they will put it on their e-mail lists. Soon you will be receiving hundreds of unwanted e-mails.

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
exactly Nov 21, 2005

andycw wrote:

They might not be after money for once, at least not directly.

Could also be a (rather laborious) way of capturing "live" e-mail addresses.

Andy

Somehow your message wasn't there when I responded.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Spam/scam/whatever Nov 21, 2005

It's all the same pot.

The first (or the only) rule you need to have about such emails is to ask youself: "Did I enter a lottery of any kind on the web or somewhere where I had to give my email address?"

If the answer is "No", then there's absolutely no reason you should answer this email. Actually you're better off not answering in any way.

If you did enter such a lottery, you should check the name of this lottery and compare it to the names, numbers etc.
... See more
It's all the same pot.

The first (or the only) rule you need to have about such emails is to ask youself: "Did I enter a lottery of any kind on the web or somewhere where I had to give my email address?"

If the answer is "No", then there's absolutely no reason you should answer this email. Actually you're better off not answering in any way.

If you did enter such a lottery, you should check the name of this lottery and compare it to the names, numbers etc. in the email you received to see if it adds up.

There are SO many of these emails going around that I don't bother to read them - I simply delete them! You should do the same.
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
definitely a scam Nov 21, 2005

It's a scam, and there are lots of variations on this lottery theme.

Here is info. about how it works:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/email-lottery-scams.html

The bottom line is you would be asked for advance payment to cover "fees" before getting your prize money (which, of course, doesn't exist).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Loterry Scam from the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »