Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 21, 2005

Hi everybody!

Last week, on november 16, I responded to an inquiry from a customer. The next evening the customer phoned me and asked, when would I answer his message. I told him, that I had done so the other evening. But no message had been recieved, though other messages arrived normally. I tried to send my answer (a short translation) still a few times, even to alternative mail-adresses the customer supplied. Finally I had to send the translation using SMS.
Yesterday the following message arrived:

"Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was
not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time
a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configura-
tion parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but
it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not
have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 4 days and 0 hours.
Host is not responding."

Four days for the Mail Administrator to throw back my original message.

Has anyone of you had still slower responses?

Direct link Reply with quote
nruddy  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
German to English
problems with one client Nov 21, 2005

I've been having difficulties recently with one client and one specific freemail address. E-mails (from the client and also my emails to the client) used to arrive very quickly in the past but are now arriving hours later (in some cases 12 hours). When we correspond using my other (freemail) address, there's no problem. I haven't had any messages like yours, though.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
occasional cyberholes Nov 21, 2005

Yes, it has happened to me a couple of times, just once in a blue moon...and basically I go bananas, and consistently tell clients that if a job doesn't turn up on the day promised they MUST contact they listen? No, they come back a week later and casually -some of them apologetically - ask where's the job!

But yes, it does happen, a handful of times a year, and there's not much can be done about it, as far as I can see:-)

And yes, days go by before I get/IF I get some kind of warning that the mail hasn't been delivered.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 23:49]

Angus Woo
Local time: 15:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes, it happens. Nov 22, 2005

I sent an email on 16th of this month and got it back yesterday, just like your case.

I think it's a better to use MSN or skype to contact your client after you have sent the file before deadline just to make sure .

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
It does happen Nov 22, 2005

Sometimes e-mail mesages take quite a while to arrive, it´s happened to me a number of times, even with someone in the same city, not that it makes much difference.

There can be delay with "heavy¨messages" and even with light ones at times. It does happen, and more than we imagine.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 09:58
+ ...
I can top that Nov 22, 2005

The most extreme delay we've had so far was the inexplicable case of a message that was underway to us for SIX WEEKS from one of our clients (a request for quote, of course - fortunately, the client had lots of time on his hands and we still got the job.)

Also, some of our outgoing mails were just lost without a trace during an unreliable period of our mail host a few months ago.

The provider swears their systems have nothing to do with it. Honest. No, really.
Yeah, right.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs