Mobile menu

Off topic: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (have you got a copy?)
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2006

I am dying of curiosity! And hope that soemone with the EN version of this book can check something for me.

I'm reading this novel in the translation to Spanish, and I have come across a curious phrase, which I'm sure is a mis-translation.

Chapter 151, about 20 lines down, about a paragraph after the paragraph referring to the shopping centre (Franciscans?), and about 2 paragraphs above the first graph in this chapter,in a comment about ghosts:

"Sería como la electricidad y el arco iris y **las sartenes que no se peguen**"

The bit between ** refers to "frying pans that DO NOT STICK". Surely the original is "non-stick frying pans" (sartenes no adherentes, in ES)!!!!!!! Can someone confirm for me?

And while on the subject, the ES translation uses "Jesús" as an expletive a lot, obviously a literal translation from EN, but in fact, "Jesús" is not as typical an expletive as in EN, where it's very, very common. In fact, in ES, it's very rare to hear people say "Jesús", except for sneezes.

TIA for satisfying my curiosity...this is a terrific book, I recommend it:-)

[Edited at 2006-01-16 11:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Daphne b  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
non-stick frying pans Jan 16, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

The bit between ** refers to "frying pans that DO NOT STICK". Surely the original is "non-stick frying pans" (sartenes no adherentes, in ES)!!!!!!! Can someone confirm for me?

You 're right, it says non-stick frying pans
"Eventually scientists will discover something that explains ghosts, just like they discovered electricity which explained lightening, and it might be about people's brains, or something about the earth's magnetic field, or it might be some new force altogether. And then ghosts won't be mysteries. They will be like electricity and rainbows and non-stick frying pans."

And it does say "Jesus"

Daphne

Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:12
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
A great book indeed Jan 16, 2006

I just checked and you are right, it is a mistranslation. The English says:

"And then ghosts won't be mysteries. They will be like electricity and rainbows and *non-stick frying pans*."

The shopping centre, by the way, is called Greyfriars shopping centre and said to be haunted by the ghost of a Franciscan friar.

Funny that the translator also didn't think about the fact that Jesus is not used in the same way in Spanish as it is in English.

The book is said to be turned into a motion picture in the near future, not sure if I look forward to that or not.

All the best,

Ingo

Ruth Martinez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frying pans that don't stick (to the stove?) Jan 16, 2006

Hi Lia:

Ha, ha, you're right, this is what the original says:

"They will be like electricity and rainbows and nonstick frying pans."

I agree with you. I read this book about a year ago and found it terrific!

Ruth

desdelaisla
English to Spanish
+ ...
sartenes antiadherentes Jan 16, 2006

That would be the right translation, IMHO.

Kindest regards,

Maya

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't believe... Jan 16, 2006

...that a professional, literary translator failed to detect the absolute illogicality of a frying pan that 'does not stick'!!!!!! I can't think of any need for a magnetic frying pan, can you?????

It jumped off the page at me, and I'm not even Spanish!!

I read a lot of books in translation, mostly to EN, a professional interest .... in one, Carlos Zafon, I THINK (can't be sure), I found a strange over-use of 'already' (Spanish uses 'ya' a lot, and not necessarily with the past perfect sense of 'already' in EN).

And as I said, it seems that "Jesús" is being over-translated in Haddon's book.

Mind you, I met a literary translator the other day, he has left it for more standard work as it's so badly paid. The only well-paid lit. translators are probably those who translate best-sellers.

THANKS A MILLION to all of you who helped me confirm my hunch!

I wonder if the CAT translation has the same error????!

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About Jesus Jan 16, 2006

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:

Lia Fail wrote:

You 're right, it says non-stick frying pans
"Eventually scientists will discover something that explains ghosts, just like they discovered electricity which explained lightening, and it might be about people's brains, or something about the earth's magnetic field, or it might be some new force altogether. And then ghosts won't be mysteries. They will be like electricity and rainbows and non-stick frying pans."

And it does say "Jesus"

Daphne

Ta Dpahne, my point about Jesus is that in EN it's a very normal swear word, but in ES it's NOT, so it sounds odd to be reading ES with Jesus used as a swear word, when other words (C***, C*******, J*****, M*****, etc) would be far more likely.

Daphne b  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Expletives Jan 16, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
my point about Jesus is that in EN it's a very normal swear word, but in ES it's NOT, so it sounds odd to be reading ES with Jesus used as a swear word, when other words (C***, C*******, J*****, M*****, etc) would be far more likely.

That was exactly what I was referring to: "Jesus" is used as a swear word in the English version, as you suspected. So if, as you say, it's not common in Spanish (wouldn't know myself), then obviously the translation is not very good.

There was an interesting article in the Guardian last year about expletives in this book:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/elements/story/0,15812,1447626,00.html

[Edited at 2006-01-16 14:41]

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
50% agree :-) Jan 16, 2006

I totally agree with you about the different use of expletives in English and Spanish; however, I don't think there is anything inherently absurd in the expression "sartenes que no se pegan". It is a more colloquial expression than "sartenes antiadherentes", but it is frequently used in Spanish.

Sin embargo, cada vez las cocinas están mejor equipadas, contamos con unas baterías
de cocina excelentes, unas sartenes que no se pegan, ...
www.afuegolento.com/noticias/81/firmas/atelleria/3116/

usaré cacerolas que no se pegan y. aceites en aerosol. www.diabetes.org/uedocuments/01.sp.PreDiabetes.pdf

Para rebajar tu consumo de grasa total, trata de cocinar con menos aceite y usa
aceite en aerosol o sartenes que no se pegan. ...
univision.midieta.com/gglobal/ includes/eval/ES/evalsample.htm

Best regards,

Patricia

[Edited at 2006-01-16 17:03]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.... Jan 16, 2006

Patricia Lutteral wrote:

I totally agree with you about the different use of expletives in English and Spanish; however, I don't think there is anything inherently absurd in the expression "sartenes que no se pegan". It is more colloquial expression than "sartenes antiadherentes", but it is frequently used in Spanish.

Sin embargo, cada vez las cocinas están mejor equipadas, contamos con unas baterías
de cocina excelentes, unas sartenes que no se pegan, ...
www.afuegolento.com/noticias/81/firmas/atelleria/3116/

usaré cacerolas que no se pegan y. aceites en aerosol. www.diabetes.org/uedocuments/01.sp.PreDiabetes.pdf

Para rebajar tu consumo de grasa total, trata de cocinar con menos aceite y usa
aceite en aerosol o sartenes que no se pegan. ...
univision.midieta.com/gglobal/ includes/eval/ES/evalsample.htm

Best regards,

Patricia

But in my 15 or so years in Spain, I have always purchased "sartenes no adherentes"! Maybe it's a difference between usage in different parts of teh world.

BUT, don't you think - leaving aside literary translations - that "sartenes que no peguen" is actually an imprecise translation of the concept of "non-stick frying pan". I bet my bottom dollar, Patricia, that you weren't responsible for that one making its way into Spanish!

3 hits on the web (none in plural), here's one:

Y de las grandes valijas surgen, como milagros, aviones a cuerda, ladrillos de goma pequeñísimos para construir casitas, **una sartén que no pega las comidas**, un pelapapas muy moderno y funcional,

This one (in a search for Teflon + sartén) is a bit more correct:

El politetrafluoroetileno es mejor conocido por el nombre comercial Teflon. Se utiliza para fabricar sartenes **donde no se pegue la comida**, y todo aquéllo que requiera de tales características.

24000 hits for 'sarten(es) antiadherente(s)'

Anyway, thanks all:-)

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 05:12
sartenes que no se pegan Jan 22, 2006

Patricia Lutteral wrote:

I totally agree with you about the different use of expletives in English and Spanish; however, I don't think there is anything inherently absurd in the expression "sartenes que no se pegan". It is a more colloquial expression than "sartenes antiadherentes", but it is frequently used in Spanish.

I agree with Patricia's comment 100%

Cheers,
a.

xxxkeithbeck
English
Help finding spanish translation of Dog in the Nighttime Aug 26, 2008

[quote]Lia Fail wrote:

I am dying of curiosity! And hope that soemone with the EN version of this book can check something for me.

I'm reading this novel in the translation to Spanish, and I have come across a curious phrase, which I'm sure is a mis-translation.

Dear Lia:

Can you help me find a spanish version of this book. ISBN number, where to buy it (I am in the US)

thanks
keith

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try Amazon Aug 27, 2008

[quote]keithbeck wrote:

Lia Fail wrote:

Dear Lia:

Can you help me find a spanish version of this book. ISBN number, where to buy it (I am in the US)

thanks
keith

Try Amazon online, or just stick a few key words and author in Google and you'll get leads:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (have you got a copy?)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs