Off topic: Translator or otherwise, this is important - Recognizing a stroke!
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 3, 2006

Lest someone should say this is not directly related to translation, let me hasten to add we translators too have to be health concious. In fact, I am not happy in posting this in Off Topic, as this is no play. I wish some moderator puts this in a more suitable category.

Now to the post:

Maybe you are in perfect Health to bother about this. But then, you may have an opportunity to save a family member, friend or stranger.

During an outdoor dinner at a se
... See more
Lest someone should say this is not directly related to translation, let me hasten to add we translators too have to be health concious. In fact, I am not happy in posting this in Off Topic, as this is no play. I wish some moderator puts this in a more suitable category.

Now to the post:

Maybe you are in perfect Health to bother about this. But then, you may have an opportunity to save a family member, friend or stranger.

During an outdoor dinner at a seaside resort near Chennai, India, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Lakshmi (name changed) went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Her husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Lakshmi passed away). She had suffered a stroke at the dinner- had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps Lakshmi would be alive today.

It only takes a minute to read this:

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough. There is nothing more life saving than getting the patient to the hospital in the FIRST ONE HOUR! The Golden Hour it is now known as to Doctors and emergency attendents alike!

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today). If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call
Emergency immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. Widespread use
of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people;
you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, and you could save their lives.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Really informative Feb 3, 2006

Though this is not the place for this kind of topic, still this topic is good..

Thanks

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
It is actually the translation of symptoms Feb 3, 2006

Symptoms 1 to 3 have to be properly taken in and translated as possible strokes, if positive.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:18
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Useful to know Feb 3, 2006

Thanks NR

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:18
SITE FOUNDER
Some links Feb 3, 2006

Thanks, Narasimhan.

According to this article, which seems to suggest that this post is one of those pass-along emails that happens to be "true", one should note that it is possible for a person to have a stroke and still pass this three
... See more
Thanks, Narasimhan.

According to this article, which seems to suggest that this post is one of those pass-along emails that happens to be "true", one should note that it is possible for a person to have a stroke and still pass this three-part test. See: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/identify-stroke.html

More info: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3008841
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:18
English to German
+ ...
My experience is different Feb 3, 2006

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally.

I can hardly believe that a neurologist said this.

An aunt of me once had a stroke: she sat at the dinner table and suddenly fell with her face into the food; then she sat up again. There was a dentist at the table who realized immediately what was going on and called an ambulance, so my aunt was in hospital within 15 minutes.
Nevertheless, she only recovered by about 50% (like always being drunk) and died one year later.

On the other hand, my mother once had a stroke while she slept. When she woke up, she felt like being drunk for the whole morning and phoned some people until she was convinced she should go to a hospital (that was 6 hours after waking up).
The questions 1. 2. 3. would have worked well on her, because she could hardly lift the left corner of her mouth anymore.
In the hospital, she was given an Aspirin and advised to take one each day. That was the whole therapy. It took half a year until she became clear again and a whole year until all of the symptoms (particularly the hanging corner of the mouth) fully disappeared.

The doctors said that she would probably get a second and more severe stroke within 3-5 years, but this happened 8 years ago and my mother is still fine (in this regard).

Since that time I have always some Aspirin or Alka-Seltzer at home.

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Henry Feb 3, 2006

It is true that this is one of those pass-along emails. But this one struck a chord in me. Hence my posting it here. I posted not only here but in my Tamil and English blogs as well.

Your first link containing the hoax-slayer does not open, whereas the second one confirms more or less what I had mentioned in my posting.

Thanks Henry for allowing this thread to remain in the forum.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks for your valuable input Feb 3, 2006

May be the person reporting the neurologist might have committed some mistakes. But I feel that it is necessary for the bystanders to be vigilant. The second link provided by our Henry tells much more than what I succinctly told in my posting. But that is the whole idea of posting here in Proz.

In the case of your unfortunate aunt it is quite possible that things would have been far worse had she not reached the hospital within those 15 minutes. In such cases one always talks of the
... See more
May be the person reporting the neurologist might have committed some mistakes. But I feel that it is necessary for the bystanders to be vigilant. The second link provided by our Henry tells much more than what I succinctly told in my posting. But that is the whole idea of posting here in Proz.

In the case of your unfortunate aunt it is quite possible that things would have been far worse had she not reached the hospital within those 15 minutes. In such cases one always talks of the probability of success, which depends on many factors of which reaching the hospital in time is a crucial but hardly the only essential factor.

And I am really thankful to God that He was kind to your mother and I am happy for you. But the idea is to take all precautions if one can.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally.

I can hardly believe that a neurologist said this.

An aunt of me once had a stroke: she sat at the dinner table and suddenly fell with her face into the food; then she sat up again. There was a dentist at the table who realized immediately what was going on and called an ambulance, so my aunt was in hospital within 15 minutes.
Nevertheless, she only recovered by about 50% (like always being drunk) and died one year later.

On the other hand, my mother once had a stroke while she slept. When she woke up, she felt like being drunk for the whole morning and phoned some people until she was convinced she should go to a hospital (that was 6 hours after waking up).
The questions 1. 2. 3. would have worked well on her, because she could hardly lift the left corner of her mouth anymore.
In the hospital, she was given an Aspirin and advised to take one each day. That was the whole therapy. It took half a year until she became clear again and a whole year until all of the symptoms (particularly the hanging corner of the mouth) fully disappeared.

The doctors said that she would probably get a second and more severe stroke within 3-5 years, but this happened 8 years ago and my mother is still fine (in this regard).

Since that time I have always some Aspirin or Alka-Seltzer at home.
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Never mind the recovery rate... Feb 3, 2006

it's the awareness that saves lives!

What I mean to say is that strokes may be very different with regard to severeness, and the neurologist who said this about recovery must have been a little hasty or spoken of a specific type of stroke!

Anyway, it's VERY important to know at least some of the signs of a stroke to save lives if not mobility etc.
Thanks for the three "tests".

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
The FAST test Feb 5, 2006

I have recently translated a newsletter article on stroke, and it's more or less in the same line with what Narasimhan describes about recognizing a stroke. It mentions a simple test that can be done by anyone and is called a FAST test. Easy to remember, as the acronym means Face, Arm, Speech and Time. The test checks the following functions according to the article:

"Face = is the mouth still horizontal?
Face = is the mouth still horizontal?
Arm = can the patient stretch both arms?
Speech = does the patient still speak clearly and coherently?
If the answer is ‘no’ to any of these three questions, then the patient has probably suffered a stroke. In that case it is important to determine when the symptoms started (= Time). If the test shows that a stroke has occurred, it is essential to call a doctor or the alarm number."

Sometimes, the knowledge of very simple things may be so precious indeed. Well, thanks Narasimhan, and stay in good health everyone
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator or otherwise, this is important - Recognizing a stroke!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »