Off topic: The Doctor is IN
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:14
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Feb 4, 2006

Let's play: name 5 strange or obsessive-compulsive behaviors that makes you the person you are. Here's mine:

1) I always have to disconnect the mains of my PC before going to bed, even if I have the ultimate lightining protection and the weather forecast man says "sun, sun and sun again".
2) I just can't leave DVD or CD in the player after playing it.
3) I hate flies and mosquitos so much I have to switch myself in the "search and destroy" mode instantly, no matter what I am doing at the moment (except "that" thing)
4) When I go to the restaurant, if I can choose the table, I always take the one close to any wall, and I make my best to get the seat which allows me to face the room. I also never ever use the clothes-tree, but I place the coat on the back of the chair, even if it's a long one and wipes the floor.
5) Before going out or going to bed, I have to put my ashtray outside on the balcony, even if it's empty and/or clean and it's freezing cold.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 09:14
German to English
Let's address #5 Feb 4, 2006

You may find that if you quit smoking, the other issues may fade away. That is, the process of quitting smoking will consume your mental energy to the point that the other compulsions will seem insignificant. The positive effect once you've quit smoking will be: (1) The obvious health benefit resulting from having quit smoking (2) You will have forgotten the other compulsions.
Good luck! Kevin

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Ashtrays Feb 4, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:

5) Before going out or going to bed, I have to put my ashtray outside on the balcony, even if it's empty and/or clean and it's freezing cold.

One about ashtrays: I'm the only non-smoker in a family of smokers and although I'm tolerant, I can't stand the sight of a full ashtray (and 1 cigarette butt is enough to make it full IMO ). No matter what I'm doing, if I see a full ashtray I feel I must empty it

Kevin, I hadn't read your post when I wrote mine, but it seems that ashtrays are an obsession for non-smokers as well - so, Gianni, don't worry about giving up

[Edited at 2006-02-04 14:13]

Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
What's your sign? Feb 4, 2006

Very interesting.

Personally, I don't do all these things (in fact, my partner would be DELIGHTED if I did #1 and #2), but I can definitely identify with #4. All the Leos in my family (over half, including me) are obsessed with sitting with their backs against the wall, with a view. We figured it was a Leo trait - the lion not wanting to be snuck up upon from behind, wanting to have his back covered (a sign of non-trust?).

Oh, and I'm not a smoker and I don't know if I agree that these things will change if you quit. I doubt it! My list of OCBs is a long one!

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I'll see your # 2 and raise you Feb 4, 2006

I put my CD's back in the boxes so the writing on the label lines up with the box.

And this one I'm truly obsessed about - breaking the backs of books when reading them (paperbacks, anyway). If the back of a book breaks, I consider it as good as ripped in half. It's gone as far as not letting my wife read some of "my" books (well, almost, but we DID have a discussion )

Pawel Skalinski
(sagittarius and proud of it)

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:14
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My list (why is everyone just commenting on Gianni's?) Feb 4, 2006

1. Every disk and tape in the house must be labelled, facing the same way on the shelf, and in alphabetical order (by artist or title, depending) within its classification. Unlabelled tapes drive me insane!
2. In my wallet, bills must all be neatly aligned, corners unbent, right side up, smallest denomination to largest.
3. No piece of mail can be thrown away unopened, even if I know exactly what's in it and *know* I'm not interested.
4. I'm not completely compulsive about this one--but when I hang clothes on the line, I like for all the t-shirts to be together, all the underwear, all the socks, etc. When our 3 kids were still at home, I hung each person's things together on the line.
5. I count everything--how many socks on the clothesline, steps in a flight of stairs, loads of laundry I've done, white cars in a row, and when I'm waiting for someone...how many cars have passed from the left and how many from the right.
6. I correct grammar/spelling errors everywhere--for example, on concert programs and church bulletins. I even write them into the books I read (only my own books, of course).
7. I make lists! (Note: I am *not* o/c about following instructions and sticking to the required number of items in the list.)

So, Doc, am I nuts? Or just sufficiently detail-oriented to be a good translator?

BTW, I don't believe in astrology, but I'm a Virgo, in case anyone wants to draw some conclusions.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 17:44]

[Edited at 2006-02-04 18:51]

Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Uhm... Feb 4, 2006

Bianca AH wrote:

We figured it was a Leo trait - the lion not wanting to be snuck up upon from behind, wanting to have his back covered (a sign of non-trust?).

Oh, and I'm not a smoker and I don't know if I agree that these things will change if you quit. I doubt it! My list of OCBs is a long one!

... I am a scorpio. I take scorpions acts like lions then? Dunno, not much into astrology. But the fact that I might distrust people is an interesting point. I actually feel like being the opposite, but maybe is something I haven't fully figured out yet.

Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Feb 4, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

So, Doc, am I nuts? Or just sufficiently detail-oriented to be a good translator?

BTW, I don't believe in astrology, but I'm a Virgo, in case anyone wants to draw some conclusions.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 17:44]

You would be my first choice for proofreading, that's for sure!
Why's everyone commenting on my choices? Easy... it's either because people wants to keep their stuff private (I understand that), or it's just another of those o/c behavior we're talking about!

[Edited at 2006-02-04 18:31]

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
ps Feb 4, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:

3) I hate flies and mosquitos so much I have to switch myself in the "search and destroy" mode instantly, no matter what I am doing at the moment (except "that" thing)

I don't hate flies or mosquitos but I'm terrified by some insects and spiders, no matter how small and harmless they are. And by the way, I'm a leo too, but I don't care if I sit with my back against the wall or not

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
OCB - or just human behaviour ;o) Feb 4, 2006

Well, I think it's difficult to think of any when asked, but perhaps they will come to me as I write.

#1 - CDs, DVDs and records MUST be placed in their covers and put back on their shelf after being removed from the player.

#2 - Often when I'm thinking about something important while walking, I try to step on an equal number of spaces between flagstones with each foot, e.g. 5 spaces with my left foot, and 4 spaces with my right foot => I must step on the next space with my right foot.

#3 - I too correct spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, bad term choices, lack of fluency etc. etc. all the time. Most of the time I just do this in my head, though.

#4 - I can become obsessive in searching for a certain term to the point where I come close to missing the deadline because I have spent so much time looking for this specific term.

#5 - If something's up with my computer, I can spend hours and hours trying to figure out why it's not working properly, although I know perfectly well that I haven't got the foggiest what to look for or what on earth I'm doing anyway.

Well, I guess I could think of a few things anyway

BTW - I'm Virgo.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
ok Doc... Feb 4, 2006

1- funnily enough, I too always unplug my PC (Personal Computer? or Partner/Companion? - metaphorically speaking, of course!) at night!

2 - I seem to be spending an awful lot of time switching off lights round the house

3 - I always watch tv in bed with headphones on - a habit I developed when the kids were babies sleeping in the pram next to me - now they are older, have their own room and usually go to bed after I do, but somehow I still use headphones

4 - I keep heaps of paper around my keyboard and monitor - sheets at the bottom of the piles have probably been there for months (years? yeah, maybe...gulp!), but I like to think I know exactly where every bit of iformation is and everything needs to remain handy where it is...

5 - I'm very particular about the way t-shirts etc. have to be hung to dry, and the way pots get stacked up in the cupboard

p.s. I just realize there is one more:
- Milk cartons absolutely have to be flattened before being thrown in the bin. Should I find an unflattened carton in the bin, I can't stop myself from retrieving it and neatly flatten it.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 07:25]

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Five more Feb 5, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:
4) When I go to the restaurant, if I can choose the table, I always take the one close to any wall, and I make my best to get the seat which allows me to face the room. I also never ever use the clothes-tree, but I place the coat on the back of the chair, even if it's a long one and wipes the floor.

While we do share the No.4 (Scorpio, too....), here I am with more:

1. When talking, I use hands much—this can be dangerous when I'm near glass or china.
2. When explaining something, I have to use examples or back up my explanation with short stories, scenes, whatever, it has to be *something*.
3. When entering/exiting a room, building, car... I storm in/out first (this can be embarrassing). I'm just too focused on what's next on my agenda and fail to recognize the existence of others with/near me. People are convinced I'm too selfish to notice them. I try to fix this error in my inner program, or at least to apologize afterwards...
4. If I hear music on the street, in a store or in any public place, I just *have* to dance, at least a couple of steps or moves...
5. I always add salt before I even taste a meal.

Oy.. this is gonna be an interesting topic!

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Why just 5? Feb 5, 2006

OK, just like the rest of us I keep correcting every spelling, grammar, punctuation, idiomatic, pronounciation... whatever error. Considering that I live among ex-pats, you may imagine how popular I am in my social environment

Apart from that,
-I hate the sight of a coat hung up on the back of a chair (sorry, Gianni!)
-Egg white -smell, touch, even the sight of it- makes me feel sick (and Gianni, I closed my eyes at the end of that scene when de Niro opened his mouth to bite that egg.)
-I am claustrophobiac (do phobias count?) and cannot get into a lift, subway, tunnels, those small bathrooms in planes and trains, cannot sleep with the door closed, etc.
-I hate all rodents, even those creatures some lovingly call a bunny - eeek!
-I don't care too much about shabby clothing, but cannot stand the sight of unpolished or worn out shoes.
-And finally, you should never never crack your knuckles when I'm around... it just makes me terrible, mad, traumatized, screaming... everything!

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
about adding salt Feb 5, 2006

Seadeta Osmani wrote:

5. I always add salt before I even taste a meal.

My son does that and I hate it!!!
I'm often tempted (but I've never done so yet) to secretely add plenty of salt to his dish, just to see what his reaction would be after he adds his own share to it...

Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
What about "electronic storage"? Feb 5, 2006

Roberta Anderson wrote:

4 - I keep heaps of paper around my keyboard and monitor - sheets at the bottom of the piles have probably been there for months (years? yeah, maybe...gulp!), but I like to think I know exactly where every bit of iformation is and everything needs to remain handy where it is...

[Edited at 2006-02-05 07:25]

Oh I can't do this! After completing a project, I throw all the papers in the bin and burn a CD with the relevant files. You need to do some spring cleaning, Rob (almost that time of the year anyway, isn't it?)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Doctor is IN

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs