Mobile menu

Off topic: Weather in Sweden?
Thread poster: Setti Mulari

Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 20:15
Finnish to English
Feb 22, 2006

Call me crazy, but I've just agreed to ride a motorcycle through Sweden next week! How bad is it going to be?

The good news is that I'm only going from Stockholm Ferry Port (Silja) and into Denmark and I'm wondering if I'm going to need chains in my tires? HA!

I'm hoping for a snow-free ride on the motorway - can anyone tell me if I'm on a suicide mission or will I be okay?

I refused to do Finland, but Sweden doesn't tend to be quite as snowy. I hope I'm right.

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Brix
Local time: 09:15
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it'll change Feb 22, 2006

I'm in the Stockholm region and we currently have rain-mixed-snow, +2 C. Chains? Not ever in Stockholm. You'll be travelling south so expect milder weather, unless you're heading into the hills, where temperatures may drop, but not necessarily. What you will need is proper clothing for the wind chill factor. Plan on driving at night? Expect temperatures to drop -0 C. Roads slippery/icey just after sunset and in mornings. You'll hit a roundabout exiting Stockholm so you should know that traffic in the roundabout has the right of way - always.

Good luck and be safe!

[Edited at 2006-02-22 15:35]

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
+ ...
Leave the chains at home Feb 22, 2006

Hello Setti,

Travelling by motorcycle through Sweden end of February is not suicidal as long as you stay on the main roads which should all be cleared.

Have a look at this website:

SMHI is the Swedish official meteroological insitute and they should be able to give you a reliable forecast about the weather. You can leave the chains at home (and chains are certainly not to recommend if the roads are snowfree), but be sure you have spike-tires.

Such tires are allowed in Sweden and Denmark, but banned in Germany - so if you're travelling further on into Germany, you should take winter tires (that's what we all use here), with a little more sturdy profile but no spikes.

Be sure to have good gloves and boots - and have a good ride!

This site might be helpful

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
ProZ profile

[Edited at 2006-02-22 15:41]

Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 20:15
Finnish to English
No chains then :) Feb 22, 2006

Thank you for the advice. Now I'll be on a VFR so it will not have any chains (that was a joke) or spikes... I'll be in Stockholm Friday night and have to be in Portsmouth, England, on Sunday night... my biggest worry is ice and snow, but if the roads are in good shape I don't expect it to be a problem.

It'll be a bit chilly, but I'll be wearing warm protective clothing... on top of which I'll be wearing a glorious BLUE and WHITE ice hockey jersey with a Lion logo on the front.

...please don't run me off the road if you see me - it's just a joke! Its Finland's year in the Olympics this year so I have to represent!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weather in Sweden?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs