Mobile menu

Off topic: KudoZ grading - how to select among correct answers?
Thread poster: Amer al-Azem
Amer al-Azem
Local time: 20:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 2, 2002

What shall I do when I see more than one answer of translation questions are fit and meaningful. Whose answer shall I choose? What do you do in such case though I hate evaluating or grading colleaques answers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
I choose the first Aug 2, 2002

It is perhaps not the best solution, but I check date and time and if answer and explanation are exactly the same, I reward the first answer...

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:21
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It's not easy Aug 2, 2002

Sometimes I grade too fast just because I\'m afraid of getting so many answers that it will be more difficult to choose.

I also consider that being the first, or the first who gives a good direction to look for has a priority.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Not necessarily the the first answer Aug 3, 2002

Citing the main KudoZ idea: \"the answer that you regard as most helpful\", i.e an answer with examples, alternatives, comments, references, Google verification etc.

Such answers are often a bit slower to arrive due to researching time spent and are in most cases more valuable than the quick \'hip shot\' winning the first position in the answering line.

Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The answer ... Aug 3, 2002

that fits the context best. However, if there are two that are exactly the same, then definitely the first one.

Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:51
English to Hindi
+ ...
first to give basic idea Aug 3, 2002

Best bet would be to divide the points but that is not yet possible.

I have also noticed that sometimes for a really difficult term a person gives some basic idea and another person taking clue from that basic idea further refines it or adds some explanation. In my opinion the first person should be chosen in such cases.

Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Need be able to revise one's entry, not just add notes Aug 3, 2002

Very often, the early answers already give the right direction. Later on, other people summarize the earlier answers to give a more comprehensive answer and often get the points. There is a problem here. Need be able to revise one\'s entry.

To prevent the early answerers from getting ideas from the later answerers, each revision will be time stamped. We need to bear in mind that the later answers laready use the ideas from early answers. The asker should keep the timing in mind when s/he grades the answers.

It would be better to enable the revising of one\'s entry before it is graded.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-03 13:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-03 13:41 ]

airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
KudoZ is about Helping - not getting points Aug 3, 2002

The main objective in answering a KudoZ question should be to help out a colleague with a legitimate question or to help him/her out where his/her mind has gone blank (happens to us all). The points should not be

the objective.

As Mats said - chose the most helpful answer

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 07:33 ]

Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
You took the words right out of my mouth... Aug 3, 2002

KudoZ is about Helping - not getting points

The main objective in answering a KudoZ question should be to help out a colleague with a legitimate question or to help him/her out where his/her mind has gone blank (happens to us all). The points should not be

the objective.

As Matt said - choose the most helpful answer.

Plagiarism by:

Leonardo Parachú.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-03 22:30 ]

Linda Young
French to English
+ ...
merge them eventually Aug 3, 2002

I find that the answers are always good, and if they are similar I do give the points to the first one, but in fact when looking at all the answers, sometimes we can take all the answers and come up with a really good interpretation of a sentence.

Linda

Amer al-Azem
Local time: 20:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grading is still sensitive to me!! Aug 3, 2002

I agree with all your fruitful inputs. But sometimes I find the second,third and following answers are more accurate and correct than the first one.

I know having all the correct answers with give me good interpretation. But to whom shall those damn points go to ?!!

Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
They're just points Oct 24, 2002

Give the points to the most _helpful_ answer. A correct answer with no references isn\'t helpful. What are you supposed to do... just trust them based on instinct?

I see a lot of people that just say \"native speaker\" or \"implicit in answer\" or \"150,000 google hits\" as their references, and that doesn\'t help at all even _if_ their answer is correct. And even if it\'s NOT correct, their references and information can lead you to the best answer. That\'s happened to me _several_ times where I gave a suggestion that wasn\'t _entirely_ correct, but the reasoning and references were the most helpful to the asker.

If you\'re so tied up... just let the peers decide. Kudoz gives you 2 weeks anyhow, and whoever has the highest net # of \"agrees\" above 2 will get the points. So if that\'s your issue, let your peers decide for you.

Otherwise, don\'t waive your right, and just decide. They\'ll live.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ grading - how to select among correct answers?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs