Thread poster: Setti Mulari

Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:54
Member (2005)
Finnish to English
Feb 28, 2006

Dear all,

I received an e-mail today via my Proz.com profile from a person claiming to have over $400 million in a bank account in Russia and they need my help getting it out of the country. I traced the IP back to Nigeria though.

It's a classic 419-scam, if anyone else gets contacted like this, please ensure you remember that it is a scam.

Direct link Reply with quote

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
German to English
+ ...
Please make sure to report these to the authorities Feb 28, 2006

I really believe that if everyone reported these, it would eventually help reduce the instances of this type of crime. Some of these people are rank amateurs and easily caught before they get bigger, maybe some bigger fish can get caught, too, if they assume their potential victims are naive and get careless.

Here's one link via Ask Jeeves. I'm sure there are a lot more.

http://de.ask.com/web?q=How%20to%20report%20a%20419%20scam%20&qsrc=1&o=312&dm=all

Don't forget, some poor souls have been murdered and/or kidnapped as a result of such scams, and this is not an exaggeration. Just look at some of the "scam the scammers" websites in this context. It's quite eye-opening.

[Edited at 2006-02-28 17:20]

New Zealand
Member (2005)
Finnish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reported to USSS Feb 28, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

I really believe that if everyone reported these, it would eventually help reduce the instances of this type of crime. Some of these people are rank amateurs and easily caught before they get bigger, maybe some bigger fish can get caught, too, if they assume their potential victims are naive and get careless.

Here's one link via Ask Jeeves. I'm sure there are a lot more.

http://de.ask.com/web?q=How%20to%20report%20a%20419%20scam%20&qsrc=1&o=312&dm=all

I don't usually report these, but now I had the IP address so I went ahead and reported it to the United States Secret Service, who deal with these in the States... in the UK, the Met doesn't want to know unless you've actually lost money.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
German to English
+ ...
Good work. Here's another helpful link, with more specific instructions Feb 28, 2006

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/I'veReceivedaNigerianLetter-WhatDo-I-Do.htm

Maria-Jose Pastor
Local time: 16:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
IS it 419 or similar Mar 4, 2006

Don't know if it is through the proz site that the infomration was obtained, but I have over the past months received emails from a "Nigerian reverend" who will be visiting my area in the USA and will be in need of a translator for his wife to sightsee and shop - looks very enticing of course as they will pay up front for the services.... the other day I got one from an English "Businessman" with the same song and dance - I happend to look at the return address which was "timo mehto" - for those spanish speakers - read it phonetically! "I am scamming."

Just wanted to give a heads up - don't know what the deal is, as I do not reply to these emails - for one I highly doubt anyone would come to the USA to "tour the area in which I live" - RURAL, RURAL, RURAL with nothing of interest to a foreigner!

New Zealand
Member (2005)
Finnish to English
TOPIC STARTER
it's a scam Mar 4, 2006

Maria-Jose Pastor wrote:

Don't know if it is through the proz site that the infomration was obtained, but I have over the past months received emails from a "Nigerian reverend" who will be visiting my area in the USA and will be in need of a translator for his wife to sightsee and shop - looks very enticing of course as they will pay up front for the services.... the other day I got one from an English "Businessman" with the same song and dance - I happend to look at the return address which was "timo mehto" - for those spanish speakers - read it phonetically! "I am scamming."

Just wanted to give a heads up - don't know what the deal is, as I do not reply to these emails - for one I highly doubt anyone would come to the USA to "tour the area in which I live" - RURAL, RURAL, RURAL with nothing of interest to a foreigner!

I got a warning of this scam before... I can't remember the details but it was one of these fantastic deals where you get paid good money before hand and the cheque is fradulent, but because it comes from this specific bank it takes a very long time to clear although it clears on your bank account sooner. You're very happy your money is in (not knowing it will disappear later) and then the client notices that they have overpaid you by a couple thousand dollars, for which you, of course, give a refund like any good person would....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reminder - 419-scam is back on Proz.com

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs