Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:00
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
GOOD LUCK!!!!! Mar 8, 2006

That's something I am really dreaming of!
I used to have contact lenses, then I wore them too much, I had problems with and now I'm back to my glasses.
I dream of waking up any time in the middle of the night and being able to see the time on the alarm clock (which is on my husband's side) without having to make strange faces trying to focus on that strange light I see. I dream of being able to watch TV in my bed, feeling free to fall asleep if I'm tired without thinking that I'll ha
... See more
That's something I am really dreaming of!
I used to have contact lenses, then I wore them too much, I had problems with and now I'm back to my glasses.
I dream of waking up any time in the middle of the night and being able to see the time on the alarm clock (which is on my husband's side) without having to make strange faces trying to focus on that strange light I see. I dream of being able to watch TV in my bed, feeling free to fall asleep if I'm tired without thinking that I'll have to wake up anyway to take my glasses off.
All small insignificant details when you have a good sight, but terribly frustrating for us!!!!
Good luck and... keep us informed!
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
You'll be fine... Mar 8, 2006

Wish you all the best, Brandis - I'm really jealous because I'm fed up of wearing glasses and have been thinking about laser surgery for some time now, but have never plucked up the courage despite the fact that I know several people who have done it and said it was really easy. Look forward to hearing tomorrow how you got on - and from then on no doubt you'll be reassuring people like me that it's fine

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish options Mar 8, 2006

A few links to Polish centres which have English versions of Internet sites - there are many more of them to be found.
General price range - $600-700 per eye.

... See more
A few links to Polish centres which have English versions of Internet sites - there are many more of them to be found.
General price range - $600-700 per eye.

http://tinyurl.com/mjbd7
http://tinyurl.com/pbhd6
http://tinyurl.com/rb5tx

And good luck to you, Brandis)
Collapse

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
English to French
+ ...
Good luck Mar 8, 2006

The operation is now routine (they do it with their eyes closed). Don't bother about reporting back right away. Get plenty of rest first.

See us around!

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Good luck Brandis Mar 8, 2006

I will envy you from tomorrow onwards. I get eyestrain if I wear my contact lenses when working on the computer, and I can see as far as the screen without, but not much further. Everytime I want to look out the window I have to put my glasses on (if I can find them) - serves me right for being so nosy! Just imagine being able to see everything without a visual aid. Lucky you, I'm sure you'll not regret it. Nevertheless, good luck for tomorrow, there will be lots of Prozzies thinking of you, I'm... See more
I will envy you from tomorrow onwards. I get eyestrain if I wear my contact lenses when working on the computer, and I can see as far as the screen without, but not much further. Everytime I want to look out the window I have to put my glasses on (if I can find them) - serves me right for being so nosy! Just imagine being able to see everything without a visual aid. Lucky you, I'm sure you'll not regret it. Nevertheless, good luck for tomorrow, there will be lots of Prozzies thinking of you, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Good luck from me, too! Mar 8, 2006

Hope to see you in good shape and with excellent vision again. Let us know how you are doing after the operation.

Pavel Constantinov
Pavel Constantinov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:00
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sincerely - Good Luck! Mar 9, 2006

Good Luck, my fellow translator

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Before you all go running off to go under the "beam"... Mar 9, 2006

First of all, I am sure that Brandis will be thrilled, as everyone else I know who has had the surgery has been.

The procedure has become so advanced that the machine practically does it on its own. It is the *selection* process that makes or breaks it. Not everyone is a good candidate for the procedure. Which is why it is so important to see a qualified doctor who truly has your best interests at heart and who is not trying to make sure his or her fancy new machine is profitable.<
... See more
First of all, I am sure that Brandis will be thrilled, as everyone else I know who has had the surgery has been.

The procedure has become so advanced that the machine practically does it on its own. It is the *selection* process that makes or breaks it. Not everyone is a good candidate for the procedure. Which is why it is so important to see a qualified doctor who truly has your best interests at heart and who is not trying to make sure his or her fancy new machine is profitable.

http://www.fda.gov/CDRH/LASIK/risks.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2001-06-28-lasik.htm

Anecdote: I am extremely nearsighted (real coke bottles...thank god for contacts) and was heartbroken to find out that I was not a good candidate for the procedure following a detached retina in one eye (with corrective surgery to follow) and a torn retina in the other (with a laser repair). Thank god I had a good ophthalmologist when I was living in Turkey who fully explained the risks, who called colleagues to discuss my case, and who presented me with strong arguments against doing LASIK (the procedure was so affordable in Turkey that people were practically going to have it done by the busload...and I was really gung-ho...it took a lot of convincing to change my mind). Although I was disappointed, I am grateful to have my vision (with correction) and now agree that in my case it's smarter not to mess with it.

The bottom line is to make sure that you are fully informed and that you feel 100% comfortable before you do it.

Good luck Brandis, and let us know how your new eyes are! I have to admit, I am a bit jealous!

Sara

[Edited at 2006-03-09 06:38]
Collapse

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Good luck from a coward Mar 9, 2006

Hi Brandis,
by the time you read this, you'll be through surgery already, so everything went well.

Enjoy your newly acquired sharp sight.

For me, without glasses the world gets blurry less than an inch from the tip of my nose. The only time I felt bad about it was when I couldn't remember where I had left the specs the night before and had to get someone to search them for me. (How embarrassing!!! That day I bought a bright yellow case for the specs and I never ha
... See more
Hi Brandis,
by the time you read this, you'll be through surgery already, so everything went well.

Enjoy your newly acquired sharp sight.

For me, without glasses the world gets blurry less than an inch from the tip of my nose. The only time I felt bad about it was when I couldn't remember where I had left the specs the night before and had to get someone to search them for me. (How embarrassing!!! That day I bought a bright yellow case for the specs and I never had that problem again ) I tried contact lenses, but they don't feel comfortable. Also, I have worn glasses for most of my life (except for maybe ten years) so to me my face looks strange without them.

Plus, as stated above, I'm too much of a coward to have surgery.

So: congratulations for being so brave and for convinvcing your insurance company!

Astrid
Collapse

Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
English to French
+ ...
Good luck Mar 9, 2006

all the best!

Mikaële

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
Local time: 03:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You'll be fine! Mar 9, 2006

I'm sure we'll hear about the wonders of your operation later today!

I've been saving for such an operation for sometime now, but I'm not quite there yet... (sigh)

I'm sure you'll be fine!

All the best!

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
afterwards Mar 9, 2006

you'll probably find that for the first couple of weeks after the surgery, you'll still keep reaching for your glasses first thing in the morning and still keeping pushing imaginary glasses up your nose! I used to do that in the weeks after my procedure.

Considering I had been wearing specs since I was 10 years old, it was a hard habit for me to break.

It also takes a while for people to become accustomed to you not wearing glasses, as it forms such a large part of on
... See more
you'll probably find that for the first couple of weeks after the surgery, you'll still keep reaching for your glasses first thing in the morning and still keeping pushing imaginary glasses up your nose! I used to do that in the weeks after my procedure.

Considering I had been wearing specs since I was 10 years old, it was a hard habit for me to break.

It also takes a while for people to become accustomed to you not wearing glasses, as it forms such a large part of one's image.

... as long as you follow the after-care procedure to the letter, it should be fine.

You'll wish you had it done sooner!

Orla (had it done 2 years ago this month)
Collapse

Liliana Ayllon
Liliana Ayllon  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
All the best! Mar 9, 2006

From someone with thin glasses!
I hope you follow the after-care procedure!

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck! Mar 9, 2006

Everything will be fine. All the best.

Goooooooooooooooooooooood luck

Cristina

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Good luck! Mar 9, 2006

You've got me thinking - are there any translators with perfect vision? I imagine rates of short sight are higher among us than among the general population (as we all like reading and computer work). Time for a poll.....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wish me good luck

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »