wish me good luck
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 22:26
English to German
+ ...
Mar 8, 2006

I had through about it and worried about it, now it has to be, I want to get rid of my thick glasses and tomorrow arond 11:00 (GMT+1) is the operation. It was a real fight with my health insurance, but I finally got my way. I had been thinking about this on and off about this development for years and it had buzzed me so much like many of would have this issue or have or had, finally it had to be this way. i would like to get rid of my frame and along with it everything. Clear vision is a great ... See more
I had through about it and worried about it, now it has to be, I want to get rid of my thick glasses and tomorrow arond 11:00 (GMT+1) is the operation. It was a real fight with my health insurance, but I finally got my way. I had been thinking about this on and off about this development for years and it had buzzed me so much like many of would have this issue or have or had, finally it had to be this way. i would like to get rid of my frame and along with it everything. Clear vision is a great thing, just like natural good teeth. So all of you, wish me good luck with this, I shall report again tomorrow evening after everything is through. bobCollapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Good luck! Mar 8, 2006

I do not have thick glases - I have thin contact lenses. But that does not prevent me from dreaming about the laser operation. Maybe I will save enough money for it eventually.

So good luck and let us know how it goes with all the gory details for those who still have not made up their minds.

Cheers,
Ines

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good luck Brandis Mar 8, 2006

Yeah, tell us how it goes. I have only heard good things about the laser surgery

Monika

[Edited at 2006-03-08 18:31]

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
it will be ok, as it was for me Mar 8, 2006

Hi
I did if for both eyes 5 years ago, 1st March.
Everything was ok, and I hear it is so much easier these days. For example you say you will write tomorrow evening, and I'm sure it will be like that; in my time (2000) it took 10 days to come back to completely normal life (safely driving etc.; doctors said four days).

Once again, good luck, it will surely be all right.

ciao
Ilde

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best decision! Mar 8, 2006

Brandis wrote:

It was a real fight with my health insurance, but I finally got my way.

I was terribly afraid of the operation, but when I translated the video of a laser surgery, I realized there was nothing to be afraid of.

Patients left the practice crying out of happiness!

Unfortunately, I am still fighting with my health insurance

Good luck, Brandis! You will never regret it!

Cheers,
Andrea

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Everything will go well, I'm sure! Mar 8, 2006

Lucky you! I'm thinking about it myself and probably will have the surgery sometime in the future if I can find a way to pay for it; my insurance doesn't cover it. Meanwhile, I keep losing my glasses and, to make matters worse, I'm not particularly fond of contact lenses (my eyes are quite sensitive and I can't wear them for more than one hour, so it is a real pain in the behind)

Best of luck to you, Brandis!

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 13:26
English to Spanish
Good luck Mar 8, 2006

Everything will be all right. Good luck.

Angel

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Good luck! Mar 8, 2006

My cousin had a laser eye surgery last year and he has been extremely satisfied with the result. He says the surgery lasts only a few minutes.

Good luck to you, I'm sure everything will be fine

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-03-08 19:02]

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good Luck! Mar 8, 2006

I've had it done in 92 / 93. Actually I did like to have both eyes lasered simultansously, but the medical attendant was so wise to moderate my optimism a little "Son, we first laser one eye. Imagine some complication arises after the treatment resulting in the loss of your eye! Then you still have your second eye to keep an eye on everything."
That woman really had an eye for everything. Would never have come up with that idea, I have to admit.

Anyway, I got specs when I was
... See more
I've had it done in 92 / 93. Actually I did like to have both eyes lasered simultansously, but the medical attendant was so wise to moderate my optimism a little "Son, we first laser one eye. Imagine some complication arises after the treatment resulting in the loss of your eye! Then you still have your second eye to keep an eye on everything."
That woman really had an eye for everything. Would never have come up with that idea, I have to admit.

Anyway, I got specs when I was 14 years old, have had lenses as well, but never could stop dreaming of the situation without any visual aids. I had to pay about 3500 Euros, but found possibilities to pay that.

I'm really happy with the result, but I'm not sure there will never be complications. Last year my right eye (that is: not the left one) got very sensitive for sunlight and to a less degree to wind (dry eye, a little bit hurting) and after visiting the laser clinic I got eye drops for that. Helps a lot, but not 100%. I've heard more people get little side effects after 10 years or so.
Some people say that dry eye is not due to the laser fiddling 13 years ago, but simply to working a lot behind a screen. Don't know exactly. There could be more reasons.

Keep things in sight, anyway, would be my advice.

I guess they told you you'll get actinic conjunctivis (Laschenaugen) the first night after the treatment.
Don't worry, I've had it about 25 times due to welding work. It feels very uncomfortable, but nothing has been damaged forever, the concerning outer layer is recovered after one day.

I guess we see you back March 10, maybe March 9

[Edited at 2006-03-09 10:57]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Good luck, Brandis! Mar 8, 2006

Fingers crossed!

I'm sure you will be very happy after this. My mum-in-law who by the same method get rid of her veery thick glasses at the age of 80 says that everyday she congratulates herself this wise decision!

All the best,
Magda

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Best wishes Mar 8, 2006

I am sure afterwards you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier...
Enjoy,
Philippe

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good Luck! Mar 8, 2006

Everything is gonna be fine! I did it a long time ago, and the procedure lasted much more less than I thought it was going to be! When the doctor started his job, I thought: "I better go home, I'll tell him that", and before I could say anything, he said: "It's over. You can go home!"

Clarisa

Paula Dana Szabados
Paula Dana Szabados  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:26
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
good luck Mar 8, 2006

Someone who has thick glasses wishes you luck.

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 23:26
English to Russian
Good luck! Mar 8, 2006

Good luck from someone with thin glasses.
The time when I wanted to get rid of those
was when I was a teenager, but then I
learned to take them off and throw a punch
before they could be broken, and girls liked
me more because of the spectacles.

Here's a link for those who'd like to consider
havin
... See more

having it done in Belarus or Ukraine.
http://www.optimed.by/index-e.html
I know a few people who were operated upon
in Minsk. Dunno about pricing though.

GOOOOOOOD luck once again!!!
Alex
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Mar 8, 2006

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

having it done in Belarus or Ukraine.
http://www.optimed.by/index-e.html
I know a few people who were operated upon
in Minsk. Dunno about pricing though.

GOOOOOOOD luck once again!!!
Alex

for the informative link. It was really visual. Bob

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wish me good luck

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »