Mobile menu

Off topic: Wish you all a Very Happy Holi!
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:26
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 13, 2006

At midnight on March 14, all over Northern India, bonfires will be lit to symbolically burn Holika and set off one of India’s most popular and colourful festivals, Holi. Happy Holi, all of you!

Holi is celebrated with people throwing colours at each other. It is a festival that conveys several important social messages – the message of equality of all sections of society, the message of friendship, and dissolution of old enmities.

A chief characteristic of Holi is the singing of fag, which are satirical songs in Hindi targetting the dominant sections of the society.

As the Internet has not developed to the extent to allow me to sprinkle the colours of Holi on you through it, let me do this figuratively and say, Bura na manana Holi hai! (that is, Don’t be upset, it is Holi!)

For those interested in knowing more about this wonderful festival, here is a link:

Direct link Reply with quote
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Happy Holi! Mar 13, 2006

Dear Balasubramaniam,

I am not sure that I spell it correctly, but in Suriname (South America) we wish our Indian friends 'Subh Holi'. I think that it means Happy Holi too. Here it is also celebrated with colours. People throw coloured liquids at each other - you preferably wear white clothing so that the colours show well. In the temples there are many services to celebrate the day.

In later years the colour throwing has been replaced a bit by the throwing of scented powders and colognes. We could not get the colours out of the clothing.

The Indians (and everyone else in Suriname for that matter) eat Roti (flour pancakes with curry chicken of mutton, coleslaw, green beans and cooked potatoes), and all kinds of other goodies. It is here a national holiday. I suspect that it is too in India.

Wishing you all the best in this very solemn and happy day with your family and friends.

cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Happy Holi Mar 13, 2006

I've often seen this festival in films and it even makes the news here in Spain occasionally.
Have a great time!

Portuguese to English
+ ...
Happy Holy Mar 13, 2006

Dear Bala,
A very happy anf joyful Holy to you and everybody around.

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Happy Holi to you too. Mar 14, 2006

What a colourful and enjoyable festival Holi is!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
And to you! Mar 14, 2006

I remember it from my childhood in Bombay / Mumbai.

My father was usually busy, as it fell around the same time as our 'Holy week' up to Easter... and he was not always pleased to get colours on his white cassock! He wore an old one and changed to a clean one when he arrived in church.

Greetings from the chilly north: it's still white with snow here... but the birds are singing.

Have a good holiday!

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
Partial member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
So interesting!!! Mar 14, 2006

This is so interesting as we have a similar event in Iran on the same exact date. Our's is called "Chaharshanbeh Souri" (=Wednesday Celebration) and is celebrated on the last Wed. (night before) of the year (Iranian calendar) which is tonight!

[Edited at 2006-03-14 15:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wish you all a Very Happy Holi!

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs