Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: My first salary
Thread poster: lara2005
JackieMcC
JackieMcC
Local time: 04:32
French to English
as an "assistante" at a French lycée Mar 17, 2006

I blew most of it on clothes and spent the next month living on baked potatoes and tins of soup !!
Still love clothes but have learnt to budget since then!
Jackie

Kevin Kelly
Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
Russian to English
+ ...
A typewriter Mar 17, 2006

For me, this was in the mid-70's (!!). From my first earnings as a translator, I bought an Adler electric typewriter. At the time, it was the latest word in technology.

To further date myself, I will tell you that I was making $0.015 per source word for technical translation, and thought this was very handsome compensation, indeed.

Kevin

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:32
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
A pair of shoes Mar 17, 2006

Apologies to my female colleauges if this enforces certain stereotypes! I had done 3 hours of tutoring as an undergraduate - which involved about 10 hours of preparation - and spent half of my meagre pay on new shoes. Wish they had been purple - that would have made it much more fun to think of now!

Great poll indeed. Perhaps we should consider one on "Knowing what you do now, what would you buy with your first salary if you could go back?" Although I'm sure some choices would be a
... See more
Apologies to my female colleauges if this enforces certain stereotypes! I had done 3 hours of tutoring as an undergraduate - which involved about 10 hours of preparation - and spent half of my meagre pay on new shoes. Wish they had been purple - that would have made it much more fun to think of now!

Great poll indeed. Perhaps we should consider one on "Knowing what you do now, what would you buy with your first salary if you could go back?" Although I'm sure some choices would be a lot less entertaining than the ones posted here.
Collapse

Liliana Ayllon
Liliana Ayllon  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Grammar book Mar 17, 2006

I was at the University at that time and I was very fond of Grammar. So I asked a friend of mine, who was a BA flight attendant travelling to London, to buy this book to me.

And the book is:
A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (Hardcover) by Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffry Leech, Jan Svartvik

Liliana.

Olga Dubeshka (X)
Olga Dubeshka (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Russian to English
+ ...
toy bunny Mar 17, 2006

When I was about 14 , I went to one of those summer camps in the South of Russia . We were picking cherries, apples, peaches and grapes, and let me tell you : here, in US , they have laws against such child labor ...

But back then , we earned enough money to buy some candy
and I still remember - a big toy bunny for my newborn niece... And all for a month` work!!

Well, some good came out of this slaving - I decided I will never work in the fields ever again. Now
... See more
When I was about 14 , I went to one of those summer camps in the South of Russia . We were picking cherries, apples, peaches and grapes, and let me tell you : here, in US , they have laws against such child labor ...

But back then , we earned enough money to buy some candy
and I still remember - a big toy bunny for my newborn niece... And all for a month` work!!

Well, some good came out of this slaving - I decided I will never work in the fields ever again. Now I am slaving at the computer . Beats inhaling pestisides and frying on the sun !
Collapse

Kameliya
Kameliya  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Home town anniversary May 3, 2006

I had my first salary in my early childhood. I took ballet when I was 4 years of age and was very persistent in my desire to become a professional ballerina. I have grown to be a translator though. But at the time my home town held "birthday" celebrations on a yearly basis and one year, between the 80s - 90s, I was actively participating into making this holiday bright and unforgettable. I was dancing. My salary was small, but I was proud of it and bought a bowl of strawberries that I shared wi... See more
I had my first salary in my early childhood. I took ballet when I was 4 years of age and was very persistent in my desire to become a professional ballerina. I have grown to be a translator though. But at the time my home town held "birthday" celebrations on a yearly basis and one year, between the 80s - 90s, I was actively participating into making this holiday bright and unforgettable. I was dancing. My salary was small, but I was proud of it and bought a bowl of strawberries that I shared with my family on coming home!Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:32
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
high-heeled leather boots May 3, 2006

With my very first hard-earned money (babysitting) I bought a wallet where I could keep my earnings in...

With my first "proper" salary (kindergarten teacher in France) I bought a beautiful pair of high-heeled leather boots... which I ended up wearing only twice, as I never learned to walk in them!

[with my second salary I got a nice Minolta camera, which over the years got to be used much more than the boots!]

Roberta

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My first salary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »