Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: My first salary
Thread poster: lara2005
lara2005
Local time: 17:52
English to German
+ ...
Mar 16, 2006

I am about to get my first "real" salary pretty soon...(can´t wait!!!:-))

Just out of pure interest - what did you buy from the first salary you got? My grandmother for instance told me today that she bought a huge bar of chocolate from the first money she earned

Apart from all the expenses such as car insurance (I had to buy a car in order to get to work), taxes etc that I didn´t have before I´m pretty much sure I´ll have myself a nice professional back massage, as back pain due to long hours of sitting is something I didn´t have before either:-)

Hope to get some more interesting ideas!

Lara

Direct link Reply with quote

Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:52
Turkish to English
+ ...
Spend Mar 16, 2006

Lara, I would strongly recommend you to purchase with your first salary a good book on making more money and alternatives on spending the money so earned wisely. In addition, always keep in mind that, money is to spend only. Just do it. I hope I helped you to some extent..

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
was still living with parents Mar 16, 2006

Dear Lara,
at the time I earned my first money, I was still living with my parents. Obviously, I decided that part of my salary had to go to sharing the living cost.
Apart from that, I went over the top and invited friends (30 people! I was mad) to celebrate my birthday with me in a restaurant.
What was left was just enough for an almost decent dictionary...

Enjoy!
Congrats on starting your career.

Regards

Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
English to Spanish
A stereo! Mar 16, 2006

This was when I was an undergraduate. Back then, I was living with my parents and any job I took was more for the experience and making my CV look good than for the actual income. Which was a good thing, because I was working for less than the minimum wage at the time.

But it was an awesome stereo. It had a turntable (never mind that I had no albums), a double tape deck, and that wonder of wonders... a CD player!

I am really dating myself.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
A ticket to the Caribbean Mar 16, 2006

I did not start to seriously earn money until I knew exactly for what I would need it.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Don't listen to me Mar 16, 2006

I bought a suit.

A purple one. The salesman convinced me that it was businesslike and sold me a purple tie to go with it.

I was the only one in a purple suit for years and eventually had to become a translator.

Regards,
Gerard

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
I bought friends a dinner Mar 17, 2006

It was fun... then, I was late to work in the first morning of my second month

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Took my mother out to dinner Mar 17, 2006

She had backed me up all the way!

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Typewriter, Tippex & Ernst (tech. dictionary) Mar 17, 2006

From my first earnings from translation in the mid-Eighties, I splashed out on a second-hand typewriter with a lopsided "e". Can anyone else think back that far? No computers! More than 3 tippexed mistakes per page and you had to start typing again. Everything was much slower. Actually having to physically visit a library to research something!? Today you can work for a week without even having to change out of your pyjamas.

Nice distracting question, lara!

[Edited at 2006-03-17 00:28]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
Contact lenses Mar 17, 2006

I was 14 years old; I had been wearing glasses since age 12, and hated them (I guess they are just not attractive enough to teenagers; I never bought the "you look more interesting" argument), so I ran to the optician with my first cheque...

Today, I really do not care. I use both, whatever feels most comfortable that particular day.

But I would have probably bought a purple coat (loved your choice, Gerard), had I not spent my money on the contacts... As a matter of fact, I think I bought a sweater with fur around the neck with my second cheque...

[Edited at 2006-03-17 00:45]

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Woman's Own Mar 17, 2006

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

"From my first earnings from translation in the mid-Eighties, I splashed out on a second-hand typewriter with a lopsided "e". Can anyone else think back that far? No computers! More than 3 tippexed mistakes per page and you had to start typing again. Everything was much slower. Actually having to physically visit a library to research something!? Today you can work for a week without even having to change out of your pyjamas.

Nice distracting question, lara!

[Edited at 2006-03-17 00:28]
"//

Well Cilian, I can think back that far and a little longer too, and my most valuable acquisition with my first salary was a copy of Woman's Own.

I was translating for a publishing house in Barcelona which ran several magazines for women and had to adapt (sorry, "localise") British texts for them.

Trouble was, I couldn't tell "pearl one, knit two" from "searing and dusting a joint".
That magazine was a godsend.

And I got round the "3 strikes of the Tippex and you're out" by photocopying the text afterwards so you couldn't actually "feel" all the mistakes when handling the paper.

And as for:

" I was the only one in a purple suit for years and eventually had to become a translator." (Gerard dixit)

Simply brilliant.

I can just imagine the next ProZ.com Poll.

"Did you become a translator because...?"

a) You had a love for language

b) You had a desire to become independent

c) You had a purple suit.

Great stuff.

Andy

[Edited at 2006-03-17 01:00]

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
French to English
Wages ago... Mar 17, 2006

Does it count to tell you my first earnings were from a paper route? (In case that's a US-only term, it means delivering newspapers to homes.) I covered my route on an old 0-speed bike every day after school. I earned a pittance, but it was all mine! And I eventually bought a new bike.

lara2005
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The purple suit... Mar 17, 2006

...has definetely given me a good laugh..Who knows what it was good for!:-)

More fancy clothes are certainly a thing I need to seriously consider too once my bank account shows a decent amount, as this is something my company sets high value on..I´ll probably go for other colours than purple though..:-)

Marijke, the idea of inviting my Mom (or Dad too) out to dinner is definetely a good one too. They´ve supported me all the way through so this would be a great way of atleast giving them something back..

By the way, it´s not that I never worked before, it´s just that this is my FIRST real full time job with a salary worth mentioning...:-)

Thanks for all the interesting input so far!

Lara

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
riding Mar 17, 2006

The first money I earned as a teenager (with babysitting) I spent on a horse-partnership, which meant I had to pay some money and was allowed to ride that horse twice a week.
Since then, all the money I could make with different jobs such as babysitting, delivering newspapers and giving private lessons to younger pupils was spent on that partnership and the rest was saved, until I finally was able to buy that horse. It cost 500 DM, because it was no particular breed and also quite old, but still that was a lot of money for me, fortunately I could pay by instalments.
I was sixteen then, and I always thought that it was funny to have a horse that was older than me (he was seventeen). From then on I had to work a lot to pay all the bills (rent for the stable, hay, blacksmith, vet) which resulted in very bad marks at school and I had to repeat a year. But he was a great chap and we had a couple of good years together.

The first money I made with translating I had to spend on such a profane thing as outstanding bills

Voloshka  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
English to Russian
+ ...
A month's salary for a jeans and a jeans coat Mar 17, 2006

Imagine: Russia, 1992.
I dreamt of a pair of jeans.
Of course those were just shoddy.
The fabric got rusty after laundering (those metal buttons).I remember my Mom was really upset I spent the salary that way:( I felt such a shame when I visited my parents and realized I was a fool.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My first salary

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs