Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What's the most annoying event that can happen while translating?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 01:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It is so simple, they say Mar 19, 2006

Many times the client tells me that the translation is very simple. But later on, when I receive the document I find that it is highly commercial, legal or technical. When contacted, the client says it is not so technical, it is just about a machine that we have bought. Of course, I can handle such translations, but I lose on money side.
Many times such problems arise during interpretation. Most of the interpretations are highy commercial or technical to be done across the table or in the
... See more
Many times the client tells me that the translation is very simple. But later on, when I receive the document I find that it is highly commercial, legal or technical. When contacted, the client says it is not so technical, it is just about a machine that we have bought. Of course, I can handle such translations, but I lose on money side.
Many times such problems arise during interpretation. Most of the interpretations are highy commercial or technical to be done across the table or in the factory
At present , one client wants me to interpret to some Italian engineers who are coming to install machines in his factory. I will be there for about 6 days. The client says that there is nothing technical about it. These are some of the odd things that occur.
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:01
English to Romanian
Cat spilling Pepsi Mar 19, 2006

James Visanji DipTrans PhD wrote:

Does your cat really drink Pepsi?

Only on Sundays

Francisco Bolaños
Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dealing with MSWord Mar 20, 2006

...this hateful message of "Word has detected an error and must be closed" (rough translation of the Spanish version). Luckily Trados recover the work, but its yet an annoyance.
My cat drinks coffee...

Francisco

olivier saint germes
olivier saint germes
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
2 options Mar 20, 2006

First one, the bad one: The PC tun itself out without any reason, and I have to reset, and re translate what I have just done..... AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!

Second one, the good one:
My daughter screaming "Papaaaaaaaaaaa!"
In that case, I use to save and close the translation, at least for a while, and come back to it after a few minutes playing with her. Very productive in fact, because I come back with strength....

HelioJP
HelioJP
Local time: 05:01
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes... Mar 20, 2006

Some clients (but actually more agencies) call you and ask you to prepere a quote for a long, long technical text avaliable only in PDF. NO estimated number of characters. Characters (I translate from Japanese) are not seen properly, so you can only guess sometimes what is written. Give them a quote. They call you again an ask for a discount.
You agree to that and NEVER hear back from them.
That happens sometimes even before you start translating.
But in case I accept a job not
... See more
Some clients (but actually more agencies) call you and ask you to prepere a quote for a long, long technical text avaliable only in PDF. NO estimated number of characters. Characters (I translate from Japanese) are not seen properly, so you can only guess sometimes what is written. Give them a quote. They call you again an ask for a discount.
You agree to that and NEVER hear back from them.
That happens sometimes even before you start translating.
But in case I accept a job nothing annoys me- I translate it to the end no matter what happens...
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Client having found something ambigious Mar 20, 2006

Especially, when you're in a rush, you hvae such agencies that call and / or mail you with a question about a job you delivered three months ago and ask you to understand that it's in every way logically they've stored that translation savely on their computer, just to find out at this very moment something might be ambigious. Of course you have to remember within a second every word you typed three months ago, because "you did that job for us, didn't you?".

Aurélie DANIEL
Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
*&%@$ª computer !!! Mar 21, 2006

The new mouse won't work. The old one is broken. Then the keyboard just dies on me, then comes back to life. The (annoying and expensive) anti-everything software can't find any virus. I could use my laptop, but not for long: the repair guy is coming tomorrow to take it with him and replace the CD player. It is only for the sound, but the warranty will expire soon so...
Anyway I do a backup, because it doesn't look all that good, and the DVD burner gets stuck at 68%. Ah yes, and Internet j
... See more
The new mouse won't work. The old one is broken. Then the keyboard just dies on me, then comes back to life. The (annoying and expensive) anti-everything software can't find any virus. I could use my laptop, but not for long: the repair guy is coming tomorrow to take it with him and replace the CD player. It is only for the sound, but the warranty will expire soon so...
Anyway I do a backup, because it doesn't look all that good, and the DVD burner gets stuck at 68%. Ah yes, and Internet just gets slower and slower.

This was today. Tomorrow has GOT to be better.
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
out of coffee and cigarettes Mar 21, 2006

Tight deadline, up early to fit in the hours you know you won't have later on in the day, and you realise you are out of coffee and smoked the last cigarette last night while walking the dog.
Search all handbags and pockets for a forgotten packet, to no avail.
Still 2 hours to go before the first store opens.
(Have tea and biscuits instead, but not quite the same)

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
English to German
+ ...
Client suddenly wanting everything before the deadline Mar 21, 2006

I had once a very tight deadline for a translation. So I was already quite pushing myself hard to get everything done in time. Then the client mailed me one day before the deadline: "We need everything today. It is a matter of life or death!"

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
forgetting to use "save as" Mar 23, 2006

You receive a 30 page document for revision by email, open it directly from Outlook Express, revise it, save it, close it, go to Outlook Express, click on "attach".... and realise you forget to save the file "as" something, and so it's now lurking somewhere on your computer in some temporary internet file which will get deleted without notice on a whim....

OK, I now know how to find them *before* they get written over (and since the last time it happened I'm super-careful about usi
... See more
You receive a 30 page document for revision by email, open it directly from Outlook Express, revise it, save it, close it, go to Outlook Express, click on "attach".... and realise you forget to save the file "as" something, and so it's now lurking somewhere on your computer in some temporary internet file which will get deleted without notice on a whim....

OK, I now know how to find them *before* they get written over (and since the last time it happened I'm super-careful about using "save as"), but I've had to re-do more than one 3-hour revision in the past. Absolutely infuriating.

[Edited at 2006-03-23 13:02]
Collapse

Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:01
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
An earthquake! Mar 24, 2006

Yes this happened to me a couple of months ago.

Then when I switched my computer on again a few hours later I got that famous blue screen. This was Sunday and transaltion was due Monday.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
WOW! Mar 31, 2006

Carolyn Brice wrote:

Yes this happened to me a couple of months ago.

Then when I switched my computer on again a few hours later I got that famous blue screen. This was Sunday and transaltion was due Monday.

I think this wins hands down...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the most annoying event that can happen while translating?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »