Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:59
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2006

I know that this is really really really Off-topic, but I really needed to get it out.

I just bought a cd that turned out to be Copy controlled (EMI). My computer plays the CD but I can't play the files on my mp3 player.

I love buying cds, even when I'm broke, I buy used cds on Ebay. Everytime I get a new one, I make one copy for my car and transfer the songs
... See more
I know that this is really really really Off-topic, but I really needed to get it out.

I just bought a cd that turned out to be Copy controlled (EMI). My computer plays the CD but I can't play the files on my mp3 player.

I love buying cds, even when I'm broke, I buy used cds on Ebay. Everytime I get a new one, I make one copy for my car and transfer the songs to my mp3 player, so most of my cds are in perfect condition. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Now with this new format, Copy Controlled, I can burn 3 copies of each CD (IMHO that's more than fair) . But in order to listen to the songs on my mp3 player, I have to use the software included on the cd, which converts the songs to copy protected wma files. Of course that format is only compatible with just a bunch of mp3 players. Not my mp3 player. So I can't play those files.

I think this is just a stupid policy, implemented by EMI and Sony, and it won't stop piracy, it actually may increase it. I for once, won't ever buy one of these CDs. If I had known I would've just illegally downloaded that album only because I think it's not fair.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
German to English
+ ...
Copyright Mar 21, 2006

I must say that I'm all for anything that makes dissemination of copyright material through the Internet impossible.

Email and the Internet developed from a means of communication between academics. I think it is wrong that one should have to ascertain whether a piece of music, song, piece of software, whatever has a copyright (often supposed to be possible by knowing that a certain artist is not the least likely to have released a full length album for free on the Internet) before
... See more
I must say that I'm all for anything that makes dissemination of copyright material through the Internet impossible.

Email and the Internet developed from a means of communication between academics. I think it is wrong that one should have to ascertain whether a piece of music, song, piece of software, whatever has a copyright (often supposed to be possible by knowing that a certain artist is not the least likely to have released a full length album for free on the Internet) before downloading it.

The person buying a CD forms a contract with the seller. If the buyer breaks that contract and allows Internet downloading of the recorded material, then no matter how generous that persons feels he is being sharing it, it is he who should be responsible for the breach of copyright - not the teenager downloading knowing or not knowing if it is copyright.

It is unfortunate if IBM's and Sony's initial attempts are not ideal, but I do hope an acceptable electronic solution is found and adopted.
Collapse

olivier saint germes
olivier saint germes
Spain
Local time: 22:59
Spanish to French
+ ...
I'm not sure to respect the rules.... Mar 21, 2006

but I'd tell you to use EMULE!
In Spain we pay a copyright when we buy recordable CD's.
I suppose that means that we can do it if it's not to sell it.....

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Copy the tracks to .wav files and then convert to MP3 Mar 21, 2006

The Wikipedia page you're quoting contains a link to the following page:
Guide to Copying Copy-Protected Music CDs. Need I say more?

Once you're done ripping the tracks to .wav files, you can use any WMA or MP3 encoder to create WMA/MP3 files for your MP3 player.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2006-03-21 10:34]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Copy Control Mar 21, 2006

My friend's rather expensive DVD player (which he also uses to play audio CD's) reads all copy controlled CD's as data discs! Spins them a few times and stops.

I refuse to let those CD's (I have 2 or 3) install anything on my computer, so that they can be played (not that I listen to CD's on my computer very much). Fortunately, my home and car CD player play them without any problems...

So, the rant out is now out of the way.

I wanted to test the car CD to
... See more
My friend's rather expensive DVD player (which he also uses to play audio CD's) reads all copy controlled CD's as data discs! Spins them a few times and stops.

I refuse to let those CD's (I have 2 or 3) install anything on my computer, so that they can be played (not that I listen to CD's on my computer very much). Fortunately, my home and car CD player play them without any problems...

So, the rant out is now out of the way.

I wanted to test the car CD to see if it would play a copy-controlled CD. Otherwise I never play original CD's in my car (don't want them all scratched and messy).
I used Nero Express 6 to make a copy of one of the copy-controlled CD's. A simple "copy disc" does not work. You need to drag and drop the individual audio tracks to make your copy. There are a few artifacts (clicks and pops), but the copy is playable. I actually tried ripping to WAV first to see if I could get rid of the clicks, but the results were much worse.

That's as far as I got. I don't have an MP3 player, so I never had to convert the copy to MP3 files.

I don't know if the method in the link is more effective or not.

Also, the legal aspects of it are probably dire, but I have yet to hear a comment from one of the majors about buying a product which I cannot use in accordance with its purpose.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2006-03-21 13:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy Controlled CDs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »