Thread poster: Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Local time: 17:11
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2006

If you are a contact lense wearer and use ReNu or other B&L solutions, you'd better read this new FDA alert:

See more
If you are a contact lense wearer and use ReNu or other B&L solutions, you'd better read this new FDA alert:

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Contact_lens_solution_linked_to_serious_fungal_eye_infection.shtml

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=aWZMsu5RVoBM&refer=europe

[Edited at 2006-04-12 06:35]
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Before panic strikes... Apr 11, 2006

Interesting article. I used the ReNu solution for years without problems, and about five years ago I changed to hard contact lenses, so my solution changed too.

However, before people start to panic, I think it is important to highlight the following paragraph fromt he article:

"It is important to note that some of the affected patients had used other solutions in addition to the ReNu brand, and that the source of this fungus has not yet been identified. But we're worki
... See more
Interesting article. I used the ReNu solution for years without problems, and about five years ago I changed to hard contact lenses, so my solution changed too.

However, before people start to panic, I think it is important to highlight the following paragraph fromt he article:

"It is important to note that some of the affected patients had used other solutions in addition to the ReNu brand, and that the source of this fungus has not yet been identified. But we're working with CDC and Bausch & Lomb -- and we're investigating other possible causes -- to prevent these infections," Dr. Schultz added.
Collapse

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Rosa Apr 11, 2006

I've been using ReNu without any problem too, but we can't ignore these parts of the article:

" The overwhelming majority of patients linked their eye infection to a Bausch & Lomb،¯s ReNu brand contact lens solution."

" The company has already notified the Food and Drug Administration that it decided to stop shipment of the products that are suspected to cause the outbreak of fungal eye infection among soft contact lens wears."

"In February 2006, Bausch &
... See more
I've been using ReNu without any problem too, but we can't ignore these parts of the article:

" The overwhelming majority of patients linked their eye infection to a Bausch & Lomb،¯s ReNu brand contact lens solution."

" The company has already notified the Food and Drug Administration that it decided to stop shipment of the products that are suspected to cause the outbreak of fungal eye infection among soft contact lens wears."

"In February 2006, Bausch & Lomb voluntarily suspended sales of its ReNu multipurpose solutions in Singapore and Hong Kong after multiple reports of the infection among contact lens users there."

So if the patients, FDA and the manufacturing company itself all are expressing doubts about the products, why should we take chances with our eyes? I've already replaced it with Complete Moisture Plus.

http://www.amoeyecare.com/
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
A question of perspective Apr 12, 2006

Hi Lingo Pros,
I am not saying anyone should take chances with their health. I am just pointing out that neither the FDA nor Bausch & Lomb are certain that the infections are caused by the solution in question. They suspect it, but nothing is confirmed yet. That is all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FDA ReNu Alert

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »