Off topic: Adjusting to the Climate in UK
Thread poster: anastasia t (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
English to French
+ ...
You're a lucky one! Apr 15, 2006

And it's so nice to be at home reading the Sunday papers with a cup of tea when it is pouring rain outside. You're a lucky one because you can always go to London on week ends! Such a cool place to discover!Sometimes I'd rather be in rainy London discovering plenty of new things than in staying in sunny Bordeaux. Plus, if it's colder that is a good a reason to go shopping in London for some trendy jumpers! See, you're gonna love it there!

Mary Murata
Mary Murata  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
Japanese to English
weather Apr 18, 2006

This topic neatly illustrates the fact that the weather is an endless source of conversation here in the British Isles. lol.

Just a favourite quote - In Britain we have 9 months winter and 3 months bad weather.

Just remember to pack your long underwear!
Mary

Alberto Orengo
Alberto Orengo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:42
English to Italian
+ ...
I am Mediterranean but... May 20, 2006

I agree with Vauwe,

I am based in the Midlands (expecting to migrate back south sooner or later) where it rains 9 days a week. As Mediterranean, the sunshine is more precious than gold to me. As to temperature, I do not find England as a cold country at all. Winters in Emilia Romagna (my home region in Italy) are really nasty, it can go quite low below 0 from november to march. In the Midlands this hardly happens. You seem to be quite sensitive to the cold, but if you leave in campu
... See more
I agree with Vauwe,

I am based in the Midlands (expecting to migrate back south sooner or later) where it rains 9 days a week. As Mediterranean, the sunshine is more precious than gold to me. As to temperature, I do not find England as a cold country at all. Winters in Emilia Romagna (my home region in Italy) are really nasty, it can go quite low below 0 from november to march. In the Midlands this hardly happens. You seem to be quite sensitive to the cold, but if you leave in campuses, don't worry, rooms are normally ridiculously hot. For the outside: get a good goretex jacket, a must-have in my opinion, possibly with removable fleece. What's tricky is the relative temperature, as most of the UK is very windy. As hardcore biker I found a good jacket priceless. As to the place: 1992, Cornwall, the coldest summer of my life; 1997, Hull (Yorshire), the mildest year of my life; 2003 Coventry (Midlands), the hottest summer of my life; 2004, Coventry, the wettest summer of my life; 2006, Coventry, the coldest and wettest spring of my life... I am still alive. Just be scornful, one day your plane will be plunging in the everlasting layer of clouds (that allows the greenest grass you could ever see), you'll get out of the plane and will get used to any temperature. The only thing that frustrates me is being constantly wet. But get Marmite, students told me it makes you skin waterproof (is it true???). And enjoy the British beautiful oudoor through hikes and bike-rides.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adjusting to the Climate in UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »