Off topic: Adjusting to the Climate in UK
Thread poster: anastasia t (X)
anastasia t (X)
anastasia t (X)
Local time: 19:13
Chinese to English
Apr 14, 2006

Hi

I'll be going to the UK for further studies this September. And the issue that I'm most most concerned about for this trip is the climate more than anything else. My comfort zone is 26 - 28 degree celcius. At 24, I already feel too cold. Anything at and below 23, I feel I'll freeze to death soon and am totally incapable of doing anything.

Hence, I would like to find out from people who have moved from warmer to colder climates, is it possible to overcome the cli
... See more
Hi

I'll be going to the UK for further studies this September. And the issue that I'm most most concerned about for this trip is the climate more than anything else. My comfort zone is 26 - 28 degree celcius. At 24, I already feel too cold. Anything at and below 23, I feel I'll freeze to death soon and am totally incapable of doing anything.

Hence, I would like to find out from people who have moved from warmer to colder climates, is it possible to overcome the climatic factor at all? Would you advise me against going there?
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:13
Spanish to English
Slowly Apr 14, 2006

[quote]anastasia t wrote:

is it possible to overcome the climatic factor at all?

Wear layers of clothing and don't be fashion conscious. I am from Scotland but have lived in Valencia (Spain) for almost 6 years and I am acclimatised to the weather here (average low winter temperature 10C, summer highs of 40C with high humidity) but when I visit the UK I also would freeze in winter. The secret is wear layers of clothing plus a hat and a scarf and thick socks as cold feet and head mean cold everything, when outdoors. Most places have central heating indoors and the change to going outside can be drastic. The compensation is, it is not as humid as Singapore. I visited there once and I couldn't get dry.
Good luck and enjoy your stay.

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 12:13
French to English
+ ...
Opposite for me... Apr 14, 2006

London is balmy compared to Eastern Canada! Winter in London is like spring to me.

I'm not sure where in the UK you will be studying, but it does get very hot and humid in London in the summer (definitely in the high 20's). It may still be hot when you arrive in September.

As a northern girl, I couldn't stand the heat! I will be spending my summers in Canada. Give me cold any day!...
See more
London is balmy compared to Eastern Canada! Winter in London is like spring to me.

I'm not sure where in the UK you will be studying, but it does get very hot and humid in London in the summer (definitely in the high 20's). It may still be hot when you arrive in September.

As a northern girl, I couldn't stand the heat! I will be spending my summers in Canada. Give me cold any day!

I hope you don't let the weather stop you from enjoying the UK experience.

[Edited at 2006-04-14 08:50]

[Edited at 2006-04-14 08:51]
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Someone once said... Apr 14, 2006

...England has no climate, only weather.

At the start of the cricket season games are regularly held up because of snow. At New Year we often have 12degC. Be ready to need a lengthy period of adjustment!
DB

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Wet London Apr 14, 2006

David Brown wrote:

The compensation is, it is not as humid as Singapore. I visited there once and I couldn't get dry.

The problem I had in London was that the weather was neither really good or bad. Most of the time the air was so humid that you had the feeling that the wind was pushing the ambient humidity through your clothes and I was freezing in my clothes.

I guess you have to have layers and be covered from the top to the bottom because of the wind sneaking through. Also buy good rain clothes, no umbrellas, since the wind will break your umbrella in no time (most of the time it is not an outraight rain, some kind of water standing in the air) .

I must say, in Austria it is much colder but I cope much better because the air is dryer most of the time. Also, if you are renting a room with central heating and you have place in your luggages, invest in a good blanket. I know some landlords well used to the climate who were swiching the heating on only from 5 to 7 and not understanding why I would feel myself so cold in the morning. (others were very nice on the other side)

anastasia t (X)
anastasia t (X)
Local time: 19:13
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Glad to hear abt the comfortable temperature in London Apr 14, 2006

I'm still deciding between Edinburgh, London, Manchester, or Portsmouth. I would love to go to Edinburgh most and Portsmouth least based on the uni alone. But if the weather does make a difference, I would have to reconsider my decision. Is the weather drastically different between say Edinburgh and Portsmouth?

Pina Nunes wrote:

As a northern girl, I couldn't stand the heat! I will be spending my summers in Canada. Give me cold any day!

I hope you don't let the weather stop you from enjoying the UK experience.

[Edited at 2006-04-14 08:50]

[Edited at 2006-04-14 08:51]

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tips from an Italian in Scotland Apr 14, 2006

anastasia t wrote:

I'm still deciding between Edinburgh, London, Manchester, or Portsmouth.

I spent several very happy years in Edinburgh, and can only recommend it!

As David says, it's easy to protect yourself against the cold (dress in layers, which you can easily shed when indoors - cardigans are much more effective than thick jumpers).

Also Edinburgh is not as rainy as other parts of Scotland and England, but it's windy - this means umbrellas are little use when it rains, much better to wear a good rainproof jacket.

cheers,
Roberta

(it must have to do with age - I feel the cold more now in sunny Tuscany than I did in Scotland)

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
English
Weather? No problem Apr 14, 2006

Weather is just weather, wherever you are. As long as you dress like other people do and dont waste your time comparing it with anywhere else you will be just fine. I moved from Britain to Poland and, well, its just weather here.

Trevor

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Edinburgh and Portsmouth a world of differenc Apr 14, 2006

[quote]anastasia t wrote:

I'm still deciding between Edinburgh, London, Manchester, or Portsmouth. I would love to go to Edinburgh most

Edinburgh in the winter can be very cold (wind-chill factor) but with global warming they are not as cold as they used to be. But what you will find (maybe I am biased as I was bi¡orn and bred in Edinburgh) that the warmth and friendliness of the people will more than make up for the cooler weather...

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
You'll adapt without a doubt!!! Apr 14, 2006

Like everything in life, after a period of adjustment you will adapt. There are so many things which are great about the UK that the weather really does fall into second place. It does not dictate your life as the heat does in other countries. As for the cold, the best thing is layers, hats and scarf. Invest in cashmere which makes a huge difference!!!I agree with the comment about age!! The cold never held me back when I was younger and I never complained about it. Now I do every day!!!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
oh-oh! Apr 15, 2006

anastasia t wrote:

Hence, I would like to find out from people who have moved from warmer to colder climates, is it possible to overcome the climatic factor at all? Would you advise me against going there?

I moved from Barcelona to the foot of the Pyrenees and find the change difficult. I come from a 'cold' country, Ireland, but after years of living in a warm climate - Barcelona - I am not sure I will tolerate this change for the worse for very long. The winter where I live now seems very long....

My cent's worth..it very much depends, I suppose on the individual, but the fact is, if I can manage to live in a warmer clime, I will:-)

[Edited at 2006-04-15 00:50]

Advice? I wouldn't NOT do anything short/medium term for reasons of weather, just would plan long-term to be in a climate that suited me. For example, I spent a year in Dublion recently and found it very tolerable (temporarily:-)) - less cold, less rain, less snow than I would have expected...

[Edited at 2006-04-15 00:54]

Ruth Martínez
Ruth Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Portsmouth-Edinburgh Apr 15, 2006

Anastasia:

I lived in Portsmouth for two years and only got used to the weather there when I moved to Edinburgh. Four years now and I still moan every day!

It's definitely warmer in Portsmouth than Edinburgh. But, in my opinion, that's all Portsmouth has to offer as opposed to Edinburgh.

Ruth

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Don't worry Apr 15, 2006

Don't give up because of the weather! That would be a foolish decision! I spent 3 years in Dublin and of course it took me some time to adapt but it's no big deal at the end! Those 3 years under the Irish rain were worth it! I am glad I have a good diploma in conference interpreting now. What was really strange is when I eventually returned home in July (South of France). It was the other way round. It took me some time to re-adapt to summer temperatures that were giving me a hard time while all... See more
Don't give up because of the weather! That would be a foolish decision! I spent 3 years in Dublin and of course it took me some time to adapt but it's no big deal at the end! Those 3 years under the Irish rain were worth it! I am glad I have a good diploma in conference interpreting now. What was really strange is when I eventually returned home in July (South of France). It was the other way round. It took me some time to re-adapt to summer temperatures that were giving me a hard time while all my friends were all complaining about the 'cold 2002 summer". The only thing I would 'worry' about is the lack of light which can really make you feel down sometimes. If that is the case you can try light-therapy sessions. It works really well. Bonne chance!Collapse

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
No use complaining Apr 15, 2006

Since you cannot change the weather, you must change your attitude. Profit from the atmosphere and the experience this new life will offer you in England. Start some outdoor activities: hiking, running, tennis, golf, sailing - whatever, und you will soon enjoy every sunshiny day and will also learn to love suboptimal weather. There is wear for all types of weather.
This is my recipe.
Good luck

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Go to Edinburgh first... Apr 15, 2006

...preferably in November, and stay until February or March.
Then down to London, and you will find it balmy.
By the autumn Portsmouth will be Paradise.
Have a look on the map, just how far North Edinburgh is from London or Portsmouth.

You might as well stay at home, if you cannot face the weather, because you WILL feel miserable in the UK, unless, as Vauwe says, you change your attitude. It is really up to you to make your stay thoroughly unpleasant or facing up
... See more
...preferably in November, and stay until February or March.
Then down to London, and you will find it balmy.
By the autumn Portsmouth will be Paradise.
Have a look on the map, just how far North Edinburgh is from London or Portsmouth.

You might as well stay at home, if you cannot face the weather, because you WILL feel miserable in the UK, unless, as Vauwe says, you change your attitude. It is really up to you to make your stay thoroughly unpleasant or facing up to a different climate as a challenge, cheerfully.

If I were you, I would start getting used to not wearing more that one layer in your warm climate, and run around a bit if you feel cold instead piling on more clothes.

[Edited at 2006-04-15 13:43]

[Edited at 2006-04-15 13:44]

[Edited at 2006-04-15 13:45]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adjusting to the Climate in UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »