Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:54
English to German
+ ...
Apr 26, 2006

Hello,

I will be spending one week in Rome, starting this Saturday.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice internet cafe where I could check my e-mails every now and then. I also may have to review one or two documents I worked on lately (the client said they would get back to me in case they had any preferential changes). I am therefore more concerned about privacy and a quiet atmosphere than money.

Any recommendations? I will be staying in central Rome, only 5-10 minutes from the main station.

BTW, does anybody know if internet cafes are closed on bank holidays? I know that most shops will be closed on May 1st, but what about internet cafes?

Thanks, and sorry that I wasn't able to post this in the Italian forum, but my Italian isn't that good.

Sonja

[Bearbeitet um 2006-04-26 11:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Trevor Butcher
English
Where and why not Apr 26, 2006

hi,

What is wrong with posting in the Italian forum, you never know - someone might be able to translate it

Trevor

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Are you staying at a hotel? Apr 27, 2006

Do they offer wifi or Internet access?

That might be an easier (and quieter) solution.

Sara

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No hardware with me Apr 27, 2006

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Do they offer wifi or Internet access?

That might be an easier (and quieter) solution.

Sara

Thanks for that suggestion, Sara. I've thought of that myself but I will not take my laptop with me, so that is currently no option. As far as I know, the hotel I will be staying in does not offer any internet access (no PCs for guests).

Sonja

Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Plenty! Apr 27, 2006

It's not easy for me to give advice - I live in Rome, but some 15 km away from Stazione Termini - and I have my computer and stuff at home. I think I've needed once to put some notes in a readable form while I was away from home, and I had no problem in finding a reasonably quiet and cheap place with a computer to do it. I think that for you it will be the same.

If you're quite near to Termini, you'll find a lot of smallish places the neighbourhood - exp. between via Marsala and via Castropretorio; they usually combine internationale phone post with Internet access and are mainly used by migrants, tourists and students (there are a few "Istituti" of "La Sapienza", the oldest and biggest of Rome's state Universities, just there). I think that you'll probably find that you can chose hours and places that fit your needs.

At any rate, there are several Internet cafes in most of the historical Center of Rome (you should remember that it is quite vast); in the main monumental area I seem to remember one in a bystreets of via delle Botteghe Oscure (a road that connects Largo Argentina with Piazza Venezia), one in Piazza delle Cinque Scole (the main square of the ancient jewish ghetto, near the Sinagogue - very interesting and pictoresque in itself), another in Piazza Firenze (but I doubt you'll find it unaided - it's a very small square) near Piazza Montecitorio, another in via Barberini (near the lowest part of via Veneto...)

In short, I cannot vouch for any particular place, but I do not think you'll want...

As for bank holidays, on 1st of May you'll find that almost everything is closed - we no longer have "the biggest communist party" in the West, but still we like our holidays! You'll find some museums, cafes, bars restaurants and pizzerias open, but very little shopping and no possibility of working at all - probably.

At the moment the weather is warm but a bit wet, but there seems to be hope for a sunny week-end. It doesn't matter much to me, as I'll be at home working, mostly (talk about liking holidays!) - but I enjoy a sunny day nevertheless.

As I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here - Rome is beautiful, and you'll find so many pleasant and interesting things to do that you'll (almost) forget about work (let's hope)!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 29, 2006

Thank you very much for your answer, Alfredo. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks.

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One-week stay in Rome, Italy - Looking for Internet Cafe

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs