Off topic: travelling in the US
Thread poster: Alessandra Sticotti

Alessandra Sticotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 28, 2006

Hi all!!

I desperately need your help, esp from US collegues.
In 2 weeks I'm leaving to the US to travel from East to West during a month. I've decided to visit few cities, including NYC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.
Got problems in finding a cheap but clean place to stay in those cities.
Can anyone help me? Do you know any hotels to suggest me?

thank you all

Alessandra

Direct link Reply with quote

lilxnan
Local time: 17:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
try some websites Apr 29, 2006

sometimes priceline offers some really good deals.
www.priceline.com
you may also check:
www.hotwire.com
www.expedia.com

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 18:51
French to English
+ ...
approximate budget Apr 29, 2006

Hi Alessandra!

will you be alone? or with your family?

what is your approximate budget?

there are some youth hostels

http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/newyork.html

http://www.hostelsweb.com/faq.html

More expensive, but listing a very wide range is

http://www.hotels.com/?js=1&zz=1146286590877

there are also some experimental programs in homestay

http://www.usexperiment.org/

http://www.housingus.com/homestay_visitors.asp

(I have not used their services)

good luck!

Alessandra Sticotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
travelling with a friend Apr 29, 2006

hi!

thanks for your suggestions!
I'm travelling with a girlfriend of mine...
our budget ifor accomodation is low..I mean, we prefer to spend money on something else rather than on hotels. we just need a bed and a clean bathroom...

I'll try the websites..I'll let you know!

cheers!

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Could you tell me something about traffic rules? Apr 29, 2006

Well, there seem to be some real America experts right here, so I'd like to tell my story and ask some questions.
I'm planning a bike trip (June, July, August) in Ontario (Canada) and the states Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa, most of time on the countryside, but at least I'll visit the cities Columbus and Milwaukee (Ohio & Wisconsin). I already ordered 1:200 or so maps of the concerning states to look for B-roads, and my New York first cousin told me US cities are way safier (as to crime) than years ago and tornado's are not likely in summer.

How about a helmet? In which states is it compulsory? Could you tell me a web site with information about this. Probably you knoe one with all traffic rules & road signs? Information about especially campings, but as well hotels, bed and breakfast and so on, is highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

By the way, we're not the only ones travelling America, what about this real go-getter:
http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/page/66308/index.v3page;jsessionid=a9juin7e1ark
Probably you've nothing to loose except your fat when you bring 200 kg on the balance, but it's really a titanic job.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Have you tried looking for bicycle clubs? Apr 29, 2006

Henk Peelen wrote:

How about a helmet? In which states is it compulsory? Could you tell me a web site with information about this. Probably you knoe one with all traffic rules & road signs? Information about especially campings, but as well hotels, bed and breakfast and so on, is highly appreciated.

Here's a link re bicycle clubs in the US to get you started.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/6213/

I'm sure there are many more. Also look at the individual states' tourism sites, usually statename.com.

Wikipedia and About.com might have some interesting information, too.

Good luck and enjoy. Watch out for the rednecks, though, and don't get into any political discussions in the rural areas!!! NO politics and NO religion. Period. Some people may not take kindly to "furriners" having opinions on their lifestyles, though the American people are generally friendly and hospitable. There is a line, however, that should not be crossed.

[Edited at 2006-04-29 13:21]

Germany
German to English
+ ...
Super 8 Motels are very reasonable Apr 29, 2006

Alessandra Sticotti wrote:

Hi all!!

I desperately need your help, esp from US collegues.
In 2 weeks I'm leaving to the US to travel from East to West during a month. I've decided to visit few cities, including NYC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.
Got problems in finding a cheap but clean place to stay in those cities.
Can anyone help me? Do you know any hotels to suggest me?

thank you all

Alessandra

Hi Alessandra,

The Super 8 motels are quite cheap and are everywhere. Are you travelling by car? I hope so, because without a car it will be difficult to find budget places to stay, because of the lack of good public transportation in the US. Motels are generally cheaper than hotels. Another possibility might be campsites that have cabins or similar for rent.

You might also want to try About.com, then go to the city / state you are interested in, then search for cheap accommodations. Same for Yahoo, but I think About.com is the better bet, as its webpages are usually maintained by individuals who live in the place they are giving advice about.

B+B tend to be relatively expensive.

HTH. Woodstock

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:51
English to French
+ ...
Advice, suggestions, ideas... Apr 29, 2006

Hi Alessandra,

Being a huge NY fan and having been to all the places you mention, here are a few advice, suggestion and ideas...

NY: I lived in NY for a while but never experienced hotels so I could not really advise any place in particular. However, some friends of mine stayed once at the YMCA in Manhattan. Though it is very basic (don't expect good service apparently) but rather clean I believe, its location is a massive advantage (just near Central Park) and it's cheap for NY. So check it out and see if it sounds good to you. I believe there are quite a lot of reviews on the web about it, so should be useful to make up your mind.

Otherwise, enjoy NY!!! I just love it!!! I would advise you to walk everywhere whenever you can, it is fascinating! That is how I discovered the city and its 'atmosphere' (hard to put into words, got to live it. And don't miss the Brooklyn Promenade overlooking Manhattan, you may even bump into a film crew as it's quite a good spot for shooting scenes.

Boston: I stayed at the Youth Hostel. Good place, I would recommend it, staff were friendly. Though it is not located right in the centre, it is well connected.

Chicago: fantastic city!!! If you love photography, try and take some black and white photos, magical! I also loved going up the Sears Tower. I could not recommend any good place to stay though as I was staying with a family there. I found it is quite difficult to get around if you don't have a car, so would be a big plus if you had one.

SF: amazing! Same here, I could not recommend a place in particular, but some friends of mine stayed in a nice unexpensive hotel located in Chinatown that had a parking area so could be good for you if you're driving. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of that hotel but I think you can find it in the Lonely Planet or the Michelin guide. Otherwise, there may be other good affordable places to stay in Chinatown.

If you're driving, I would highly recommend the following places, been there and truly loved it:
- Grand Canyon
- Las Vegas (just for the fun of it
- Utah (all the national parks are awesome!)
- Lake Tahoe (breathtaking!)

There are lots of motels along the way (we used the same Lonely Planet and Michelin guide for that) and it's quite reasonable.

Have a great time!

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks for now Apr 29, 2006

Great, helpfull site on biking.
Generally I neither find conservative people more rash than liberals nor Americans more ill-considered than others, and even my Chicago and Milwaukee liberal friends regard the countryside a non-problem area, but you're right, call them rednecks or regard 200 kg obesity might rub them ub the wrong way. Thanks.

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:51
English to French
+ ...
Hi Henk! Apr 29, 2006

Hi Henk,

Great to hear you're going on a bike adventure on the American road!

Sorry I can't really advise you much about the states you mention, but I find that motels are generally a good option. They can also accommodate up to 4 or 5 people per (big) room, which is quite good for the budget.

I would still try to go for those that are recommended by travel writers/guidebooks or friends.

How many of you are setting on this trip?

Bon voyage!

Germany
German to English
+ ...
Suit yourself Apr 29, 2006

Henk Peelen wrote:

Great, helpfull site on biking.
Generally I neither find conservative people more rash than liberals nor Americans more ill-considered than others, and even my Chicago and Milwaukee liberal friends regard the countryside a non-problem area, but you're right, call them rednecks or regard 200 kg obesity might rub them ub the wrong way. Thanks.

Have you ever been to the US for a longer period or lived there? I'm an American citizen, and I think I'm a bit more knowledgable and/or objective about my countrymen/women than you. There really ARE rednecks, but if you think you know better, fine. Don't play the "holier-than-thou" card on me, though. I've seen you do this more than once here in the forum section, so from now on I'll refrain from responding to you or trying to offer some well-meaning advice. And I said nothing about "rash" or "ill-considered" - you are reading things into my statement that are not there.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
the Katy trail Apr 29, 2006

Hi Henk

if you're planning a bike trip in the midwest, by all means, visit the Katy trail! http://www.bikekatytrail.com/

it's a very long -we're talking several hundred miles- biking trail with hotels and everything you need along the way. Hey I would even join you but I'll ge gone by the time you visit the area.

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Nothing holier than anybody, but putting the common tolerant / non tolerant division into perspectiv Apr 29, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

Have you ever been to the US for a longer period or lived there? I'm an American citizen, and I think I'm a bit more knowledgable and/or objective about my countrymen/women than you. There really ARE rednecks, but if you think you know better, fine. Don't play the "holier-than-thou" card on me, though. I've seen you do this more than once here in the forum section, so from now on I'll refrain from responding to you or trying to offer some well-meaning advice. And I said nothing about "rash" or "ill-considered" - you are reading things into my statement that are not there.

However, my English-Dutch dictionary says the word redneck is insulting, and since I don't know exactly which kind of people you mean (though I think I know), I thought it wise not to accept it fully.
According to the Hyperdictionary.com (and more sources) definition faith, theory of evolution, and astrology all are more or less a religion. Next to that nearly all people tend to see their own opinion as tolerant & liberal and often feel incensed if other people like to putting their world view into perspective, not in the last place those who are commonly referred to as tolerant.

Maybe your dico doesn't say redneck is consulting. Otherwise how would you ask people to be tolerant if you abuse them?

In case you refrain to respond, no problem to me. Good night.

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry, no Missoury planned Apr 29, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Hi Henk

if you're planning a bike trip in the midwest, by all means, visit the Katy trail! http://www.bikekatytrail.com/

it's a very long -we're talking several hundred miles- biking trail with hotels and everything you need along the way. Hey I would even join you but I'll ge gone by the time you visit the area.

Thanks for the hint, but I don't think I'll be there. Actually I was planning a bike trip to some relatives and friends in some of the states / province I mentioned, before going to the Argentina conference. Now I wonder if it's sensible to combine so much visits and bike trips.

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Merci beaucoup! Apr 29, 2006

Mitsuko Moine wrote:

Hi Henk,

Great to hear you're going on a bike adventure on the American road!

Sorry I can't really advise you much about the states you mention, but I find that motels are generally a good option. They can also accommodate up to 4 or 5 people per (big) room, which is quite good for the budget.

I would still try to go for those that are recommended by travel writers/guidebooks or friends.

How many of you are setting on this trip?

Bon voyage!

I'm quite sure I'll travel allone. There are not much biking friends who want to spend so much time, especially because I want to stay quite a long time with relatives and friends they don't know.
Next to that the weather at the 43th degree of latitude is quite hot for us used to the 53th degree of latitude because our blood is thicker.
Yes, I know alcohol could solve this problem, but that makes the road winding, the bobbies unfriendly or even worser, you might run over a car, scratching the same.

Actually I like camping sites for their adventureness, cosiness and dissoluteness (and low price), but motels might be a good second choice, especially when the weather isn't comfortable.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

travelling in the US

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs