Off topic: Friends worldwide?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2006

Dear All,

Wondering – in which most distant county (distance from the country you live in) do you have friends (I mean friends, not family members) you actually met at least once, and where did you meet them first?

Living in Croatia, I have some friends from the USA, living in the USA, we met in Croatia while they were on their vacation, and then some friends from India, living in India, we met in Austria.

Very much curious to read your experiences!

Direct link Reply with quote
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
let me think...;) Apr 29, 2006

I'm from Poland-my best friend is from Tajikistan (he currently lives in the US). I have good frieds from the USA, Belarus, Ukraine, Germany, Ubekistan, India, Bulgaria, Slovakia, China, Mali and Burkina Faso. We e-mail and call eachother at least 2-3 times a month.

laura castori  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
hmmmmm Apr 29, 2006

I'm from Italy... I have some friends in Alabama, Georgia,Texas, Illinois and Ohio... Uk etc. I met them few years ago, and then one of 'em came here. My boyfriend is from Finland and we meet like every month. Thank God for Ryanair!!!

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Buthan, Fidji Islands Apr 29, 2006

I'm From Spain and have friends in Buthan and the Fidji Islands
We were roommates in college, in Florida (Eckerd College).

Miss them all,

English to German
+ ...
When I was younger.. Apr 30, 2006

...I used to have a lot of penpals everywhere around the globe. I managed to meet two of them, one who was living in Jamaica back then and one in Finland. Apart from the fact that writing letters really helped improve my English it was a great way of getting to know "real" people there and not seeing the countries from a touristic point of view..

When I was 16, I spent 6 months in the US and just came back from my former host sister´s wedding where I was her bridesmaid.

Right now some of my real close friends are spread all over Europe, studying or working in Spain, Ireland and the Netherlands. It´s nice to know though that no matter how far they are away or how often (or rarely) we meet each other, we´ll stay friends for the rest of our lives!:-)

Nice topic, by the way!

Have a nice rest of the weekend!!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Friends Apr 30, 2006

I live in India and have friends in France, Germany, US, Cameroon, UK, Newzealand...
It's said that travelling forms the youth... and I guess it also gives us friends everywhere.

Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... it is possible! May 1, 2006

Well, as i was a Chilean exchange student in Iowa, USA i met two friends, Laura from Finland and Dominique from France. Even though we have lived in different continents for over 12 years, we have kept in touch... first with post-mail and then by email. I still keep in touch also with Sarah, a softmore girl in my High School, who became a very good friend also, while I was a Senior.
When I was studiying in Germany i visited Laura in Turku, Finland. Some other ocassions that i had vacations in Europe i have met Dominique also. He has also come to Chile to visit me, so i believe it is possible to have real friends all over the world... and i enjoy it!!

[Edited at 2006-05-01 20:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Friends worldwide?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs