Off topic: California World Cup Watchers?
Thread poster: The_eHive

The_eHive  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
May 16, 2006

Will there be any translators out there near Sacramento that will be wanting to watch the world cup? I suggest that we get a group together and find a bar to watch the games. Anyone interested?

Simon Varley
simonvarley@theehive.com

Direct link Reply with quote

lara2005
Local time: 16:54
English to German
+ ...
Just wondering.. May 17, 2006

Hi Simon,

nice to hear that in the US there are actually some soccer fans:-)

However, just out of pure interest - at what time will you need to get up to watch the games? Knowing that some of them start pretty early over here you´ll probably have to get up before sunrise to see them..;-)

But hey, I remember when the world cup was in the US - I was having horrible exams at that time (due to the time-lag all games were broadcasted during the day), so to avoid missing a single goal of our team, we forced our professor (who was listening to the German game via headset - how mean!!:-() to write every goal on the blackboard. In the end I managed to finish my exam within a record time in order to finish watching the game in a local bar:-) I think the results - of both the game and my exam - weren´t all that bad in the end..;-)

Best regards from Cologne, one of the game sites,
and enjoy the games!

Lara

The_eHive  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually a Brit abroad May 17, 2006

Hi Lara,

I am actually an English guy living and working here in California. I am trying to get every American I know to get into a real sport for a change (just kidding) especially as they have a decent team.

Englands first match will be 6am or so I think but there are some 11am ones also. It was the same when it was in Korea, I was in Europe and had to get used to being in a bar at 9am!

I am jealous of your location!...

Simon

lara2005
Local time: 16:54
English to German
+ ...
You should indeed be jealous.. May 17, 2006

...due to the fact that England is actually playing in Cologne:-)

Very much looking forward to the World Cup..

May the best team win!

Lara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

California World Cup Watchers?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs