Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Eurovision Song Contest, semi final: who else watches tonight?
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
English to German
May 18, 2006

I wonder if there are more addicts to the Eurovision song contest out there. I've been watching - and enjoying - it for many years. Tonight's the semi final, and so far, my "douze points" go to ... ... ... Albania (rather untypical for a Bruce Springsteen fan, but there you go)

[Edited at 2006-05-18 20:19]

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Another addict May 18, 2006

Hi Marion,

Here's another addict, I have to admit it still hoping for another Swedish success in this contest. So many years since last time.

And I'm also very curious on those Finnish guys with their very original masks - and I fear a whole generation of kids out there in Europe will get a totally wrong impression of the Finns.. who knows.

Happy watching!

Erik

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Albania... May 18, 2006

got my televoting points, but I found Sweden very nice too (except for the refrain, sorry), and Lithuania was very funny!

I'm sure Sweden will make it into the final, Erik!

Happy televoting :-

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is there NO escape!!!?? May 18, 2006

Having worked for 5 years for the BBC (where they actually paid me to watch it!) and then 22 years or so with the EBU - the founders of Eurovision and the (in)famous ESC - I was hoping that when I left that organization and moved 15,000 km to Chile I might manage to get away from the monster...

Boom bang-a-bang! (that's not Abba - that's the sound of my head hitting the wall!).

MediaMatrix

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Mediamatrix: You are lucky May 18, 2006

...that you were paid hard money to watch this!!!

And no, there is no escape from the Eurovision Song Contest. We'll get you no matter where you are. So tell us: what's your all time favourite???

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Loved it! May 18, 2006

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

I wonder if there are more addicts to the Eurovision song contest out there. I've been watching - and enjoying - it for many years.

I saw it for the first time when I was in Holland last year and I loved it! There were so many talented kids, not only singing but writing their own songs. What I liked most was that they were still kids, not dressing or acting like grownups.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
er .... May 18, 2006

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

So tell us: what's your all time favourite???

Well, I guess it's got to be Abba's winners - I can't remember any of the others! They all sound the same: boom bang-a-bang, bang-a-boom boom, boom-a-boom bang, and so on ....

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 18, 2006

you seem to have not listened very closely lately.

Joking, of course.

What about 'Lane Moje' from Bosnia-Herzegowina several years ago? Oh, I forgot - you escaped to Chile

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Despair: the Finnish group passed to the final May 19, 2006

We didn't look yesterday, since we hoped the Finnish representative would drop, but now they got to the final. It will spoil for us the program on Saturday but of course we are going to watch it, though we hate Lordi.

I hope Russia will win this time, at least the preview video was good.

Regards

Heinrich

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:32
English to Greek
+ ...
Boom bang-a-bang, bang-a-boom boom, boom-a-boom bang May 19, 2006

That's what I think of most of the semi-final songs...

Not that the songs in the finals are any better in their majority...

My all time favourites were the Abba songs and the Johnny Logan ones. I wish there were more like those, because if what we have been seeing lately is representative of music in Europe, then God help us!!

Tamara Sinobad
Tamara Sinobad  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Lane moje May 19, 2006

Actually the song was from Serbia
Unfortunately Serbia is not taking part in the competition this year but the author/singer of Lane moje has written Bosnia and Herzegowina's song for this year (Leila).

Regards,
T.

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Eurovision = Europe isn't it? May 19, 2006

The last time I saw (I can't seem to remember when...oh yea Nicole with the guitar...1982) Israel participated? I thought Israel was not in Europe. Or is it? Well... there goes the word Euro. And Russia, Turkey?

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/index.htm/

Well, well....'### Idol' I guess it's a better choice of words...i.e. American Idol, Indonesian Idol, etc...Well
... See more
The last time I saw (I can't seem to remember when...oh yea Nicole with the guitar...1982) Israel participated? I thought Israel was not in Europe. Or is it? Well... there goes the word Euro. And Russia, Turkey?

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/index.htm/

Well, well....'### Idol' I guess it's a better choice of words...i.e. American Idol, Indonesian Idol, etc...Well done Americans (Simon...is English huh?)

Well..good for you Brits...

Just wondering...

[Edited at 2006-05-19 19:27]
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Lane Moje May 19, 2006

Tamara Sinobad wrote:

Actually the song was from Serbia
Unfortunately Serbia is not taking part in the competition this year but the author/singer of Lane moje has written Bosnia and Herzegowina's song for this year (Leila).

Regards,
T.

You're right, of course, Tamara. Got that mixed up. I think I'll have to look the singer/author of Lane Moje up at Amazon and buy a CD. Any one you could recommend?

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Very deceived... our belgian girl was beautiful May 19, 2006

She had also a nice song "je t'adore".. 20 years after our Sandra Kim... They have prefered some awfull groups...I hope Sweden will win, she was also perfect ...

Not much original.. but .

Je T'Adore - Kat Ryan
-------------

The sum of all my fantasies
That’s everything you are to me

You came around and made my senses fly
Shook me up when you took me to the sky
Never thought that I could ever get this high

... See more
She had also a nice song "je t'adore".. 20 years after our Sandra Kim... They have prefered some awfull groups...I hope Sweden will win, she was also perfect ...

Not much original.. but .

Je T'Adore - Kat Ryan
-------------

The sum of all my fantasies
That’s everything you are to me

You came around and made my senses fly

Je t’adore
And I can’t conceal it
Je t’adore
Anyone can see it
You give me just a little more
Of everything I’ve waited for
Je t’adore
Here’s my heart so take it
Je t’adore
Only you can break it
You got me fallen to the floor
Anyway you want I’m yours
Ooh je t’adore

Bye bye to all the lies I’ve heard
You made a different kind of girl

You spun me out and you made my senses fly

Je t’adore
I can’t breathe without you
Je t’adore
I’m not me without you

You’re the rush that I missed
Made a wish that I’d feel a kiss
Just like this

Je t’adore
Yeah you made me feel it
Je t’adore
And I really mean it
You give me just a little more
Of everything I’ve waited for
Je t’adore
Here’s my heart so take it
Je t’adore
Baby don’t you break it
You got me fallen to the floor
Anyway you want I’m yours
Ooh je t’adore
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Why do they all sing in English ? May 19, 2006

I am also a big fan of the Eurovision song contest.

I remember years ago when I was a kid, I was very happy and curious to hear people singing in various languages such as danish, swedish , spanish, serbo-croat , etc...

Of course the speaker from the French TV had trouble announcing the name of the singers and their songs, but that was part of the game.

It did not stop Abba to win with a swedish song (well... a song named Waterloo ...) .

... See more
I am also a big fan of the Eurovision song contest.

I remember years ago when I was a kid, I was very happy and curious to hear people singing in various languages such as danish, swedish , spanish, serbo-croat , etc...

Of course the speaker from the French TV had trouble announcing the name of the singers and their songs, but that was part of the game.

It did not stop Abba to win with a swedish song (well... a song named Waterloo ...) .

I miss it.. Now most of the singers have trouble to sing in English. It's like you cannot make it if you don't speak English.

Anyway this year my heart goes for either Albania or Bosnia-Herzegovina ... not only because they have the nerve to sing their own (somehow rare) languages but because they give us much more than just boom bang-a-bang, bang-a-boom boom, boom-a-boom ban and lot of female dancers with very short dresses.

Happy final on Saturday night !
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eurovision Song Contest, semi final: who else watches tonight?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »