Off topic: Places to stay in Rome for a week..
Thread poster: iliya1
iliya1
iliya1
United States
Local time: 11:04
Russian to English
+ ...
May 18, 2006

Hello,
My daughter and I are thinking of visiting Rome for a week. She has always been wanting to go there. I am trying to create some kind of an itinerary and get an idea of what is the best place to stay, not necessarily luxurious and/or expensive, but charming, clean and with a local flare, so to speak… Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning good places to eat
Thank you very much.

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Local time: 14:04
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Check these links May 19, 2006

Rome Lonely Planet is the best source to find any kind of accommodation and local restaurants:

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=2887

About restaurants, check:

... See more
Rome Lonely Planet is the best source to find any kind of accommodation and local restaurants:

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=2887

About restaurants, check:

http://www.thingstodo-rome.com/brochure/content.jsp?FIELD=Eating_Out

http://press.arrivenet.com/travel/article.php/735613.html

[Edited at 2006-05-19 08:12]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 13:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Ah, Rome:-) May 19, 2006

Hi, Iliya,

The question is so small-town-American - one or two good places where the entire town goes:-) - hope I didn't offend fellow Americans.

For one, you have to have a very special "luck" to hit a bad place to eat in Italy:-). Don't hesitate to enjoy a real pizza from the corner cafe for a change.

For two, check "Rome Bed&Breakfast" on Google - good choices, fully reliable (this is the only way to fit your budget since we have no idea what you are wi
... See more
Hi, Iliya,

The question is so small-town-American - one or two good places where the entire town goes:-) - hope I didn't offend fellow Americans.

For one, you have to have a very special "luck" to hit a bad place to eat in Italy:-). Don't hesitate to enjoy a real pizza from the corner cafe for a change.

For two, check "Rome Bed&Breakfast" on Google - good choices, fully reliable (this is the only way to fit your budget since we have no idea what you are willing to spend (not like I'm asking:-). I'm a heavy traveller and use European bed& breakfast deals from the Internet all the time - not a single bad experience if you go a couple of steps higher of the cheapest offers. Just make sure it's close to city center.
Contrary to my usual practice I stayed at the hotel - nice and neat Astoria Garden withing 1.5 blocks from the Central Train Station - (Stazione Termini) but the prices there have doubled since. The location for the first-time visitor was excellent - rail/metro at "arm's length", within 200 feet - bus terminal at Piazza dei Cinquecento with direct routes to Colosseum and Vatican (and everywhere else), close walk to the famous Four Fountains area.

Just don't fall for super cheap hotels right next to the train station - the rooms there might be rented on an hourly rate basis:-)

Enjoy your trip. You'll be in Rome for the 1st time - I envy you! It will always be a tremendous pleasure to visit Rome but that first impression will never recur...
Irene

P.S. - double-check that B&B room has a private shower - may not always be the case.

[Edited at 2006-05-19 11:29]
Collapse

Shera Lyn Parpia
Shera Lyn Parpia
Italy
Local time: 20:04
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...

some ideas... May 19, 2006

A good place to look for hotels and b&b s is this

www.wantedinrome.com (look in the ads and classifieds)

also this place is realy nice and close to the station
http://www.the-beehive.com/

good luck!

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
Hotel Dell'Urbe May 19, 2006

We were in Rom in March this year and stayed at Hotel Dell'Urbe near the railway station Termini.
It is clean and nice and not so expensive. I can only recommend that.
Here are some commen
... See more
We were in Rom in March this year and stayed at Hotel Dell'Urbe near the railway station Termini.
It is clean and nice and not so expensive. I can only recommend that.
Here are some comments from guests who stayed at this hotel:
http://it.venere.com/hotel_roma/marsala_termini/hotel_dell_urbe.html?action=user_rating&tf=user_rating.php&lg=it

I can also recommend the Galleria Doria Pamphili, if you are interested in art - I would like to see that once more!

Have a nice trip!
Edith

[Edited at 2006-05-19 11:45]
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
What is your budget? May 19, 2006

I have a friend in Rome who rents a room (B&B) in her apartment. The location is absolutely unique (Campo dei Fiori), she is a great person and I know she has many return customers from all over the world.
Pls contact me directly if you would like to have more information.
In any case I would strongly recommend B&B in private houses.

Laura

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Laura's friend May 19, 2006

Hi, I don't know Laura's friend, but I lived in Rome for a number of years and can assure you that the location is absolutely superb. You can't get more central than that! You can walk everywhere from there, and it's close to the river. Across from Trastevere, near the Vatican, near Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, you can zip down to the Forum area....
I'd check it out!
Catherine

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
English to French
+ ...
B & B! :-) May 19, 2006

Hi,

I definitely agree with everyone who suggested B&Bs. I stayed in a lovely B&B back in 2002 that I had booked through www.bbitalia.it and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Laura's suggestion sounds fantastic!

Enjoy beautiful Roma!

iliya1
iliya1
United States
Local time: 11:04
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all very much May 19, 2006

Thank you , the info is great !!! We are on a tight budget. I am thinking of about $30-50 per night ? Is this reasonable , or completely out of the question, since I don't know anythhing about prices at the local B&B. I found out that prices vary greatly, anywhere from $25 and up, up, up.
I would like to experinece Rome on somewhat local bases, not like a tourist I don't know if that makes sense or not. Are there any secret
... See more
Thank you , the info is great !!! We are on a tight budget. I am thinking of about $30-50 per night ? Is this reasonable , or completely out of the question, since I don't know anythhing about prices at the local B&B. I found out that prices vary greatly, anywhere from $25 and up, up, up.
I would like to experinece Rome on somewhat local bases, not like a tourist I don't know if that makes sense or not. Are there any secret , "only locals know about" views of Rome as a whole city ?
We will definetly check out the Galleria Doria Pamphili. Thank you, Edith. Laura, thank you for the offer. It will probably be my first choice.
Thank you again.
Collapse

Silvestro De Falco
Silvestro De Falco  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
When in Rome May 19, 2006

Illya,
Go to Giardino degli Aranci and take a peek through the keyhole.
Silvestro

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 13:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't forget - prices you are looking at are in euro May 19, 2006

IMHO - anything under 40 euro (~$52 dollars) per person would be.... questionable, 25 would be more like student hostel type in a questionable area, where merry youth is having a blast round the clock:-), with a wash room at the end of a corridor. In summer you need air-conditioning in Rome and it's not all so common in European flats, especially on a cheaper side. We all try to save as much as we can but not above the point of ruining the vacati... See more
IMHO - anything under 40 euro (~$52 dollars) per person would be.... questionable, 25 would be more like student hostel type in a questionable area, where merry youth is having a blast round the clock:-), with a wash room at the end of a corridor. In summer you need air-conditioning in Rome and it's not all so common in European flats, especially on a cheaper side. We all try to save as much as we can but not above the point of ruining the vacation altogether.

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/rome-italy.html

May I? What do you mean "not as a tourist"? Like Soviet type collective tours? Don't worry, there is no threat of that:-), but... there is nothing trivial about Rome. Missing on "classic" tourist attractions during your first visit would be most foolish (no offence:-)), and a problem is that a week is merely enough to touch base with Forum, St.-Peter's Cathedral, Vatican and Colosseum. Just walk the streets of Rome in between.. nothing could be more special and "local", the rest will take care of itself.

Hopefully my oozing love for Rome will earn me forgiveness of Romans who can come forward with many more specifics:-):-):-) while I'm daring to step ahead of them:-)

Good luck,
Irene
Collapse

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Turisti per caso May 19, 2006

There is a famous Italian programme called Turisti per caso.
They also have a web site: www.turistipercaso.it. It is really useful, as there some guides( people answering posts about stay, itineraries, and many other curiosities).

Have a look there if you feel it might be interesting!

Have a nice stay in Rome!

laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
you might try even this... May 19, 2006

I lived in Rome for a year and I still go there every now and then. Campo dei fiori is a beautiful place, specially this period!
But do you know that you can even rent an apartment for a week? Before finding a final place where to stay I rented an app wif a friend of mine... 2 huge bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a bathroom...as it was cheaper to stay there then to pay 40 bux per nite to stay in a hotel...
I don't remember the name of that agency, but I'm sure you could find
... See more
I lived in Rome for a year and I still go there every now and then. Campo dei fiori is a beautiful place, specially this period!
But do you know that you can even rent an apartment for a week? Before finding a final place where to stay I rented an app wif a friend of mine... 2 huge bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a bathroom...as it was cheaper to stay there then to pay 40 bux per nite to stay in a hotel...
I don't remember the name of that agency, but I'm sure you could find some surfing the net....
ps. u should visit "Castroni" the best place where to buy stuff from all italy... (wines, food... etc..)... and not only that!
It's weird... but I would go there only to get me american junk food! Oh how much I miss that LOL
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Places to stay in Rome for a week..

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »