Off topic: Amsterdam hotel recommendations
Thread poster: Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
French to English
May 19, 2006

My husband and I are heading to Europe in September and we'll be in Amsterdam for 4 days. Would anyone have recommendations for a nice and fairly inexpensive hotel in Amsterdam? By fairly inexpensive, I mean between 100 and 120 Euros a night.

Thanks a lot!

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:01
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, no reccomendation May 19, 2006

but I like to bring the internet bookings system to notice:
http://www.bookings.nl/index.en.html

Works as well for other countries: replace "nl" by the appropriate country code.

Have a good trip!

By the way, looking for special maps? See Jacob van Wijngaarde
... See more
but I like to bring the internet bookings system to notice:
http://www.bookings.nl/index.en.html

Works as well for other countries: replace "nl" by the appropriate country code.

Have a good trip!

By the way, looking for special maps? See Jacob van Wijngaarden (Jack from vineyard) on the internet:
http://www.jvw.nl/index.php?main_page=index&language=en

or write a mail to employee Ankie Szalpka at [email protected]

As to your 5:53 pm posting:
Of course! And I guess you get some! On the other hand, I wonder if anyone would "surpass" Gerard's recommendation.

Somebody did like to recommend the next two (both small hotels are fair situated in a quiet neighbourhood in the vicinity of the Vondelpark, Leidseplein and museum quarter:
Hotel De Filosoof: www.hotelfilosoof.nl
Hotel Owl: www.owl-hotel.nl

The owl philosophizes her own young fairest!

[Edited at 2006-05-20 17:34]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Get a hotel near the Vondelpark May 19, 2006

The Vondelpark area is a peaceful, beautiful neighbourhood just a short walk away from the Leidseplein, where you'll find the nightlife and numerous restaurants, and from the best museums Amsterdam has to offer.

Enjoy your stay,
Gerard

Erika Pavelka (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 19, 2006

Thanks, Henk. I've done many searches on that site already. I was hoping for personal recommendations here, as it's hard to tell how a hotel really is from pictures on the Internet.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 03:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Stayed there, loved it, and less than a 100 May 19, 2006

http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/3056_amsterdam-bed-breakfast-barangay-amsterdam.aspx

Truly 5 (not 3 as they advertise:-) min walk from Central Train Station. Modest size, nothing superfancy, a steep caracol:-) but really charming, neat, private and very "local". Full bath is outside the room, 2 meters away, but
... See more
http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/3056_amsterdam-bed-breakfast-barangay-amsterdam.aspx

Truly 5 (not 3 as they advertise:-) min walk from Central Train Station. Modest size, nothing superfancy, a steep caracol:-) but really charming, neat, private and very "local". Full bath is outside the room, 2 meters away, but you don't share it with other guests - it's your, private for the time of your stay. A door directly from the room to a tiny courtyard helps smokers in otherwise non-smoking premises. Next to everything.

Both red cats on that web-picture are great:-) That is if you are not allergic:-)

[Edited at 2006-05-19 18:06]

[Edited at 2006-05-19 18:07]
Collapse

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
English to French
+ ...
House boat! :-) May 19, 2006

Hi Erika,

I may have a great idea for you....

I stayed in this house boat B & B (see link below). It was an absolute delight and the people that run this B&B were wonderful! I have left a review so you can read it for more details on my experience (it is the only one written in French so you will find it easily). You just click on the link provided in the presentation of the house boat that leads to the r
... See more
Hi Erika,

I may have a great idea for you....

I stayed in this house boat B & B (see link below). It was an absolute delight and the people that run this B&B were wonderful! I have left a review so you can read it for more details on my experience (it is the only one written in French so you will find it easily). You just click on the link provided in the presentation of the house boat that leads to the review section.

http://www.houseboathotel.nl/accommodation_amsterdam/boat_b031_guestroom/

It is also exactly in your budget!

Let me know if you need more info and enjoy Europe!

[Edited at 2006-05-19 19:27]
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Heading there this morning... May 20, 2006

Hi Erika,

Hubby and I are heading there this morning for a week. Staying at the Piet Hien near Vondelpark. Will let you know how it is when I get back. Drop me a line if I forget to re-post. Be back on May 29.

Sara

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
A place in the Red Light District: Hotel Kabul May 20, 2006

Hotel Kabul International - a basic accommodation hostel -is located in 3 monumental buildings in the heart of Amsterdam. Kabul, as the locals have called it for many years, is situated on the edge of the world famous Red Light District, right between the Central Station and Dam Square.With 39 rooms and dormitories, the hotel offers a comfortable bed and breakfast for a reasonable price for around 200 people in one of the nicest areas of Amsterdam. The Kabul is your ideal starting place for your... See more
Hotel Kabul International - a basic accommodation hostel -is located in 3 monumental buildings in the heart of Amsterdam. Kabul, as the locals have called it for many years, is situated on the edge of the world famous Red Light District, right between the Central Station and Dam Square.With 39 rooms and dormitories, the hotel offers a comfortable bed and breakfast for a reasonable price for around 200 people in one of the nicest areas of Amsterdam. The Kabul is your ideal starting place for your adventures in Amsterdam. The Red Light Area, the Coffeshops, major shopping streets, China Town and The Royal Palace are all situated around the Kabul. If you want to take a boattrip, visit the museums or book a Holland Excursion, all of it is within walking distance from the Kabul. Please note that this hotel is of the hostel-type and the accommodations it offers are excellent but very basic. Rooms can be booked as a whole, but in some cases it is also possible to book beds separately. Those who book beds separately will share their rooms with other hotel guests. Shower and toilet are always shared in this hotel.Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 22, 2006

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We'll look each one over together with hubby and probably make a decision this week.

Enjoy your Monday (a holiday here in Canada)

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Hotel Piet Hein was good May 29, 2006

http://www.hotelpiethein.nl/

Not *quite* as nice as it looks on the Web site, but good and in a good area right on Vondelpark.

Good Indonesian restaurant right down the street around the corner from the Park Hotel, easy access to major museums, and good shopping and dining in the neighbourhood.

Have a good trip!

Sara

Erika Pavelka (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sara May 29, 2006

Glad you had a nice trip! Thanks for the report. We ended up booking our hotel already because I was afraid we wouldn't find a good one or we'd pay more if we waited longer.

We were about to book one, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with, so I did some more digging and found an affordable B&B right by Vondelpark that had great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Flynt B&B
http://www.flynt.nl/
... See more
Glad you had a nice trip! Thanks for the report. We ended up booking our hotel already because I was afraid we wouldn't find a good one or we'd pay more if we waited longer.

We were about to book one, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with, so I did some more digging and found an affordable B&B right by Vondelpark that had great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Flynt B&B
http://www.flynt.nl/

It's right near the Leidseplein and the museums.

If I remember, I'll post a review once we get back (in 3+ months time)

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone! The houseboat was especially tempting, perhaps another time though!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amsterdam hotel recommendations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »