Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Harry Potter seventh book. Warning: reveals the end of the sixth book.
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
English to Tamil
+ ...
May 20, 2006

I am amazed that none in ProZ.com has taken up the cry. The sixth Harry Potter book was released more than a year back and no one has much reacted to her killing off Dumbledore, when the reader least expected it!

I am devastated by this death. My friends in Chennai have consoled me saying that his death was inevitable and that Harry has now to fight on his own. My heart is no longer in it.

I felt like Maurice Druon, who ended his sixth book in the series "Les rois maudits", when Robert d'Artois is felled by a stray arrow. The story ends with the author declaring that he no longer had the heart to continue the story, now that his favorite character is no more. (I am freely translating from French and am relying fully on my memory of course. Hence I may be pardoned for misquotes if any). Of course the seventh volume (Les rois maudits, of course) has since then come out, which I am to read by the way. But that is beside the point.

What do you think of this dastardly killing by the author, my friends? I posted a topic in my Tamil blog with the title "J.K. Rowling is surely in for a beating up" (figuratively of course).

Apart from that, the book has been written in a taut manner and keeps the reader guessing till the end.

As the seventh book's release is scheduled for 2007 only, I am at a loss to see a way out for Harry Potter. One person suggested that Snape may yet prove to be a secret warrior of the Order of Phoenix and that Dumbledore did not die really. I would like to believe it, but the odds are heavily against this happening.

I find the French as well as German translations of Harry Potter series to be very good. Yet there are people galore finding faults in the translations by going through sentence by sentence with a fine-tooth comb. Given the ridiculous lead time allowed to them, both the translators are turning out good copies, which is quite wonderful.

Regards,

N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2006-05-20 14:48]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-20 23:52]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-24 15:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Love the storyline May 20, 2006

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
I am devastated by this death. My friends in Chennai have consoled me saying that his death was inevitable and that Harry has now to fight on his own. My heart is no longer in it.

I, for one, expected it. Quite predictable, I would say.

As the seventh book's release is scheduled for 2007 only, I am at a loss to see a way out for Harry Potter.

He might not have a way out.

About the last book in the series, J.K. Rowling is quoted as saying: "Assuming anyone survives, I may kill the whole lot."

Muahahaha. >:}

--
Dyran

Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:31
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
maybe this will cheer you up May 20, 2006

www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com

enjoy

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:31
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Maybe Dumbledore will be like Sherlock Holmes? May 20, 2006

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got tired of writing about his famous detective character, Sherlock Holmes, and finished a book about him with him being killed by his arch-enemy, Professor Moriarty, at the Reichenbach Falls. But such was the demand for more stories about the ingenious sleuth that he had to work out a way for him to have survived being pushed down the Falls, and then carry on writing more about him.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it cheered me May 20, 2006

Thanks a million, Maria. I hope the reasoning shown in the link represents the actual fact.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Maria Rosich Andreu wrote:

www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com

enjoy

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are quite right Jack May 20, 2006

I too have read about that in article that appeared in Reader's Digest.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jack Doughty wrote:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got tired of writing about his famous detective character, Sherlock Holmes, and finished a book about him with him being killed by his arch-enemy, Professor Moriarty, at the Reichenbach Falls. But such was the demand for more stories about the ingenious sleuth that he had to work out a way for him to have survived being pushed down the Falls, and then carry on writing more about him.

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:31
English to German
+ ...
Greetings from Switzerland May 20, 2006

I too have read about that in article that appeared in Reader's Digest.

And I must tell you Switzerland's citizens were quite relieved that Conan Doyle decided to revive the famous sleuth, as we'd have hated it be sued by millions of fans for not having equipped the Reichenbach Falls with appropriate safety measures...

As regards Dumbledore, I just couldn't believe that he would let himself be killed off so, well, stupidly easily, so there's hope yet...

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:31
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You don't do that to people!!! May 20, 2006

I am amazed that none in ProZ.com has taken up the cry. The sixth Harry Potter book was released more than a year back and no one has much reacted to her killing off Dumbledore, when the reader least expected it!

I am now on chapter 22. That was mean and unexpected. You shouldn't have told the end.

N.

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Insert a "spoiler" warning in the title of this topic May 20, 2006

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

I am now on chapter 22. That was mean and unexpected. You shouldn't have told the end.

N.

Dear Narasimhan or Moderator of this forum,

To avoid other people being disappointed like Natalia was very unfortunately, please could you insert a "spoiler" warning in the title of this topic as soon as possible.

It would be great. Thanks!

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's been three months May 20, 2006

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

So how long after a book is published should we wait to comment on it?

Jeez.

--
Dyran

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
How long? May 20, 2006

Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't have revealed what happened at the Reichenbach Falls, as the story was published as recently as 1893.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even now the first Harry Potter book is read avidly but its end was revealed in the second book! May 21, 2006

Yet nobody would dream of accusing JKR of being a spoiler! Nearly a year has passed since the publishing and now it can no longer be a spoiler.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:31
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No problem May 21, 2006

In fact I knew somebody was going to die, but my sisters wouldn't tell me who.
The book was published in Spanish about two or three months ago, so it is quite new here in Argentina.
The Spoiler warning is a good idea.

Naty

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Dear Narasimhan, May 22, 2006

Yet nobody would dream of accusing JKR of being a spoiler! Nearly a year has passed since the publishing and now it can no longer be a spoiler.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sorry if I used the word "spoiler" which may sound a bit harsh but it just means a warning here. I have seen it used quite often on Wikipedia like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braveheart and found it useful.

Have a great week!

[Edited at 2006-05-22 01:32]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do not think of monkey, while taking this medicine May 22, 2006

These spoiler warnings are a little tricky. Just on reading such a warning, the ever curious human nature is sure to test it! If on a newly painted bench there is the legend "Wet Paint", it will surely be tested with fingers.

I am reminded of a sage, who gave a rare medicine to a person, who wanted immortality. The only condition was that while consuming the medicine, one should not think of monkeys.

The poor man, was about to take the medicine and then remembered the sage's words. He told himself that he shall not think of something and tried to recall what it was. Then he remembered that it was the monkey but by that time the damage was done and he could not unthink it.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Mitsuko Moine wrote:

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sorry if I used the word "spoiler" which may sound a bit harsh but it just means a warning here. I have seen it used quite often on Wikipedia like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braveheart and found it useful.

Have a great week!

[Edited at 2006-05-22 01:32]

[Edited at 2006-05-22 01:40]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Harry Potter seventh book. Warning: reveals the end of the sixth book.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs