Netherlands
Local time: 09:10
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
May 20, 2006

“Every tear bears a smile of remembrance”

Dear ProZ colleagues and friends,

It is with profound sadness and pain that I write to inform you about the sudden and untimely demise earlier this year of our fellow member Sandra Plas (Legal and Business Translation Services, Brussels) at the age of only 33.

Besides her work as a translator, Sandra was driven by a mission to contribute to a positive development of transatlantic relationships and
... See more

Dear ProZ colleagues and friends,

It is with profound sadness and pain that I write to inform you about the sudden and untimely demise earlier this year of our fellow member Sandra Plas (Legal and Business Translation Services, Brussels) at the age of only 33.

Besides her work as a translator, Sandra was driven by a mission to contribute to a positive development of transatlantic relationships and mutual understanding through her website Transatlanticist.com. In her own words: “The mission of Transatlanticist is to balance the often ill-founded negative view of the US in Europe by publishing information about the US and transatlantic relations that goes beyond the cliches.” Unfortunately she was not given enough time to bring this into full bloom.

Although she had only joined the Proz community in the summer of 2005, those of us who had the privilege to work with Sandra or to meet her at the Kraków conference last November will not forget her amiability and congeniality.

May Her Soul Rest In Peace.

Herman de Kruyff
(avantix)
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:10
French to English
Sandra May 21, 2006

So sorry to hear about Sandra's sudden and untimely death.

Mary

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
How sad and distressing May 21, 2006

We met in Krakov.
We went together to Auschwitz and spent an afternoon shopping for souvenirs in the Christmas market.
We promised to meet again here in Italy, joking about her passion for Italian shoes.
More bad news for me in a year of many losses.
It was a joy to meet Sandra and so sad to know we won't meet again.
Angela.

avantix wrote:

....May Her Soul Rest In Peace.

Herman de Kruyff
(avantix)

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
how terribly sad May 21, 2006

I'm speechless and tearful after I read this terrible news.
I met Sandra in Crakow, so this was an acquaintance exactly thanks to Proz Conference (it happened we had both decided to stay 4 more days after Conference to meet a flight, and so found ourself spending so much time together; I have some photos). I was left with the impression of an extraordinary, very positive person, smiling and cheerful, calm, profound, strong and clever.
How difficult to accept this news.

... See more
I'm speechless and tearful after I read this terrible news.
I met Sandra in Crakow, so this was an acquaintance exactly thanks to Proz Conference (it happened we had both decided to stay 4 more days after Conference to meet a flight, and so found ourself spending so much time together; I have some photos). I was left with the impression of an extraordinary, very positive person, smiling and cheerful, calm, profound, strong and clever.
How difficult to accept this news.

My heartfelt condolences to her family and prayers for her.

Ilde
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
My condolences May 21, 2006

to her family, friends and colleagueZ for such an untimely death.
It's very sad.
Claudia

Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Dear Sandra May 21, 2006

I am very sorry for her.
She was the first person that I met the day of the conference and she was friendly and very nice with with me.
It's terrible to hear about that.

Valentina

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
My condolences May 21, 2006

I didn't meet Sandra but I was chocked to know about her untimely death.
My condolences to her family and to all those who had the joy to meet her.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My condolences to her family, loved ones and friends May 22, 2006

Though we didn't talk so much I do and will remember Sandra very well from Auschwitz and the dinner at Ogniem i Mieczem last year November. This really makes me sad. Rest in peace, Sandra.

[Edited at 2006-05-23 13:13]

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 15:10
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Too early, too soon May 22, 2006

Too early, too soon

Just browsed again through www.transatlanticist.com , a second time after Herman pointed out Sandra's blog while he expressed his worries about her well being. That was about a month ago.

"Informed Comments about the US and Transatlantic Relations"

Very promising it is indeed, this initiative. And now already this blog has stopped.

To
... See more
Too early, too soon

Just browsed again through www.transatlanticist.com , a second time after Herman pointed out Sandra's blog while he expressed his worries about her well being. That was about a month ago.

"Informed Comments about the US and Transatlantic Relations"

Very promising it is indeed, this initiative. And now already this blog has stopped.

Too early, too soon

My condolences to Sandra's family and dear ones.
Collapse

Branka Bucconi
Branka Bucconi  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My condolences May 23, 2006

What a terrible news. I am so sad to hear that.

Thank You Jun 15, 2011

I want to thank everybody for their kind words about my wonderfull sister.
I never saw this post until now and allthough it s been 5 hard years I wanted to thank you all.

Sandra was a very special person with an never ending hunger for knowlege and personal grow.I have never seen Sandra without a book or planning somekind of new adventure.

We lost our Father in 1986 and our Mother in 1999 and I think Sandra has never been able to really give it a place.She was to
... See more
I want to thank everybody for their kind words about my wonderfull sister.
I never saw this post until now and allthough it s been 5 hard years I wanted to thank you all.

Sandra was a very special person with an never ending hunger for knowlege and personal grow.I have never seen Sandra without a book or planning somekind of new adventure.

We lost our Father in 1986 and our Mother in 1999 and I think Sandra has never been able to really give it a place.She was to hard for herself and never gave herself a break I think that caught up with her .

In 2007 I became father of a beautifull daughter her name: Sandra Isabelle.
So in away she still is here with me.

Thanks again everybody for your kind remarks .

Mark A Plas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In Memoriam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »