Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2002

Would anyone like to live and translate on the Costa del Sol. Well now\'s your chance.

I have been renting an apartment for just over 4 months now, but will be moving on September 1. I will be looking after a villa for this rich guy, and a rent free bungalow in the grounds of the villa is part of the deal. This means my apartment will be free. It is a modern one bedroom en suite with a large lounge, kitchenette, medium balcony looking straight across the Med (180 degrees) and stunning
... See more
Would anyone like to live and translate on the Costa del Sol. Well now\'s your chance.

I have been renting an apartment for just over 4 months now, but will be moving on September 1. I will be looking after a villa for this rich guy, and a rent free bungalow in the grounds of the villa is part of the deal. This means my apartment will be free. It is a modern one bedroom en suite with a large lounge, kitchenette, medium balcony looking straight across the Med (180 degrees) and stunning mountain views at the front and rear. It is on a tranquil estate with gardens and 2 swimming pools. This apartment is 5 mins from the beautiful marina of Puerto de la Duquesa, near Manilva. 30 mins from Marbella, (Puerto Banus) and 30 mins. from Gibraltar).

The rent is 510 Euro per month (yes!!) the electric bill is around 12 Euro per week. I will be taking my ADSL modem to my new address. A replacement from Telefonica will take about 3 weeks now the line is activated. I used a 56k modem for the first few weeks, and by going through a company called Spantel, the telephone call charge was 0.02 Euro per minute.

This apartment is initially contracted until February, but an extension is not a problem as the owner is looking for long lets.

You would be required to pay one month in advance + one month deposit.

If you are interested please contact me through my ProZ page.

By the way, since coming to Spain, my continuity of work has not been effected in the slightest. Why should it?

http://www.andalucia.com/duquesa/home.htm

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-29 07:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-30 09:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-30 09:05 ]
Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky you! Aug 29, 2002

Wow, some people know how to enjoy life!

I\'m green of envy, honestly. I\'ve had to put up with the bad weather, the shitty food and the more than miserable British life style for three years here in the UK. The town where I live is dead after five-thirty in the afternoon. The people I know here feed themselves exclusively with fish and chips and chicken tikka masala from the nearest take-away and take days off work to do DIY in their bathrooms. On Fridays and Saturdays I go
... See more
Wow, some people know how to enjoy life!

I\'m green of envy, honestly. I\'ve had to put up with the bad weather, the shitty food and the more than miserable British life style for three years here in the UK. The town where I live is dead after five-thirty in the afternoon. The people I know here feed themselves exclusively with fish and chips and chicken tikka masala from the nearest take-away and take days off work to do DIY in their bathrooms. On Fridays and Saturdays I go out and I only see drunk men and completely delirious women shouting obscenities and flashing their boobs at the first chance. What kind of society is this? No surprise clever Britons, like you, emigrate to my country!

My days here are numbered, thanks God! I\'m too young to live this way.

Collapse

Dave Greatrix
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I take it you're not enjoying Aug 29, 2002

the UK then

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-29 12:05 ]

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
No, I don't like it... Aug 29, 2002

But I\'ve had quite a few good moments in this country too

Did I sound too negative?

Best wishes!

Dave Greatrix
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a tad Aug 29, 2002

)

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
The grass is always greener on the other side. Aug 30, 2002

I\'d personally die for some fish and chips, chicken tikka masala, authentic chinese food, or any of the other hundreds of international cuisines you can find in the UK. It beats the \"pincho de tortilla\" at the bars with serviettes scattered all over the floor or the paella ritual every Sunday at the in-laws\'.

Costa del Sol sounds like the ideal place - fish and chips and paella both on one\'s doorstep and no in-laws in sight ...
See more
I\'d personally die for some fish and chips, chicken tikka masala, authentic chinese food, or any of the other hundreds of international cuisines you can find in the UK. It beats the \"pincho de tortilla\" at the bars with serviettes scattered all over the floor or the paella ritual every Sunday at the in-laws\'.

Costa del Sol sounds like the ideal place - fish and chips and paella both on one\'s doorstep and no in-laws in sight

Ana

Collapse

Dave Greatrix
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have you never heard of Billy's Fish and Chip Shop Aug 30, 2002

in Puerto de la Duquesa? Not to mention Passage to India, Slow Boat to China, Macues (world class cuisine)The Pizza House, the Canadian Straw Donkey coffie house, the Thai, two more Chinese, two more Italians, Brown\'s Restaurant, Kinsale\'s and Rory\'s Irish Pubs, Hemmingway\'s, The Oasis, Sundowners, Cheers, etc, etc, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-30 12:56 ]

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Poor Cid Sep 1, 2002

I live in London and have the additional benefits of rip-off prices, a flat with no room to swing a cat, rude neighbours, permanent congestion, rampant street crime, you name it. But most of my British friends wouldn\'t live anywhere else. It is a mystery.

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Delicious! Sep 4, 2002

Stop David! You\'re making my mouth water!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don\'t miss this chance to live and work on the Costa del Sol

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »