https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/48383-it_must_be_really_bad_when_it_rates_an_article_in_the_times%3A_.html

Off topic: It must be really bad when it rates an article in The Times:-)
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2006

The Times May 23, 2006

Turning rubbish into a television goldmine
By Graham Keeley

Our correspondent examines the unstoppable success of Spain's trash TV, which fills the screen with strippers, insults and kiss-and-tell stories

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2191942,00.html

[
... See more
The Times May 23, 2006

Turning rubbish into a television goldmine
By Graham Keeley

Our correspondent examines the unstoppable success of Spain's trash TV, which fills the screen with strippers, insults and kiss-and-tell stories

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2191942,00.html

[Edited at 2006-05-28 12:08]

[Edited at 2006-05-28 17:02]
Collapse

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:15
French to English
+ ...
link May 28, 2006

Please fix link.

Thanks.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:15
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Isn't it the same everywhere? May 28, 2006

I tried several times to fix the link, but it always breaks - just copy the whole URL into the address field of your internet browser and you'll see the article.

I'm surprised Spain is singled out here. I would have thought this is pretty much the same in the UK and in Germany and probably countless other countries, too (though, I can only speak for those two countries).

[Edited at 2006-05-28 15:59]

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, unable to fix link May 28, 2006

Thomas Pfann wrote:

I tried several times to fix the link, but it always breaks - just copy the whole URL into the address field of your internet browser and you'll see the article.

I'm surprised Spain is singled out here. I would have thought this is pretty much the same in the UK and in Germany and probably countless other countries, too (though, I can only speak for those two countries).

[Edited at 2006-05-28 15:59]

Like Thomas I did try to paste an intact link but it won't work.

Thomas, I think Spain is pretty bad! I spent a whole year in Ireland recently, where we can watch both Irish and British TV, and it's wasn't anywhere as bad.

The major problem in Spain is that there's very little variety at prime time and a lot of copycat TV, presenters go from one channel to another just to produce exactly the same kind of programme. There are some good programmes too, but for some inexplicable reason, they start around midnight.

There are many, many hours of Spanish TV dedicated to gossip about the 'rich and famous', and between all the different variations on Big Brother, TV here simply just churns out very minor celebrities and mediocre singers, more fodder for the gossip shows......

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
E=mc2 May 28, 2006

Hi Ailish,

I believe “basura”, like mass and energy, never ceases to exist. It merely adopts another form.

Although UK TV definitely allocates less time to this kind of programme, it’s not because it doesn’t have an audience.
It’s just that they can read the same stuff every morning in the Sun, Mirror, “News of the People”, etc…. Which Big Brother did what, who’s going out (euphemism rules) with whom (no apologies for the “whom”...
See more
Hi Ailish,

I believe “basura”, like mass and energy, never ceases to exist. It merely adopts another form.

Although UK TV definitely allocates less time to this kind of programme, it’s not because it doesn’t have an audience.
It’s just that they can read the same stuff every morning in the Sun, Mirror, “News of the People”, etc…. Which Big Brother did what, who’s going out (euphemism rules) with whom (no apologies for the “whom”, is this rather mediocre musician’s sister really doing what her ex-manager’s cleaning lady allegedly witnessed, and will happily bear witness to after receipt of a large brown envelope from some self-styled, “investigative journalist” with a decidedly jaundiced look about them?

What has always struck me about the Spanish media is how serious the press is (or most of it).

Pick up “El País” (if PP, pls. use tongs), La Vanguardia…..

First 15 pages = International news… In-depth coverage so dense it’s almost claustrophobic. Followed by leaders, opinion columns, letters, national news, local, a bit of “sociedad” (and not exactly “just anybody”), …..classifieds, business and finance, sports ….

Pick up (with few exceptions) “The XXX”.
Front page:
Political “scandal” (Cameron drives a Lexus), injured football player, kitten in distress.
Next umpteen pages until you get to the really important stuff, i.e. sport:
Odd bits of national news, the clad, scantily-clad, the unclad. Big Brother reject has slagged off XXX who was already going out with the ex-boyfriend of some mediocre musician’s manager’s brother. More kittens, race-horses, cuddly koalas, a lost messenger-pigeon, and the 125 kg. turnip grown by some farmer in XXXXXXXshire.

Oh, and “World News” takes up the second half of an even-numbered page somewhere lost in the middle.

Mutatis mutandi, or summat like that…….

Andy
Collapse

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Italy... May 28, 2006

...isn't much better. Might be worse.
The US also has loads of trash TV but at least there are hundreds of channels so you can usually find some high quality stuff.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
French to English
At least you get some good stuff after midnight May 29, 2006

Speaking as someone who probably watches most of his TV after midnight (or would like to!) the schedules after midnight in the UK are now unspeakably dire:

BBC - broadcasts the BBC's News 24
BBC2 - repeats of progs with signing for the deaf (hard to be too churlish about that, I suppose, but it's still repeats of dull rubbish for the most part) or schools TV (they're supposed to tape it, obviously!) or other educational stuff designed to be taped not watched (but not documenta
... See more
Speaking as someone who probably watches most of his TV after midnight (or would like to!) the schedules after midnight in the UK are now unspeakably dire:

BBC - broadcasts the BBC's News 24
BBC2 - repeats of progs with signing for the deaf (hard to be too churlish about that, I suppose, but it's still repeats of dull rubbish for the most part) or schools TV (they're supposed to tape it, obviously!) or other educational stuff designed to be taped not watched (but not documentaries as such)
ITV 1 - phone in game show, now "The Mint" - words fail me about this - I liked it better when they used to show repeats of "Love Boat"
C4 - now Big Brother live, otherwise interchangeble with Channel 5, i.e. re-runs of entire footy matches from Brazil, Portugal, Netherlands or France, or live poker (!) or baseball or basketball from the US.

It is execrable crud of the highest order. You don't know when you're well off
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
In Denmark too, I'm sorry to say May 29, 2006

Though in Denmark television people tend to call this "Public Service"!!!

I am permanently baffled about the actual meaning of this "Public Service", because I don't really see any service to the public being offered! Rather the opposite.

In the hours from around 8 pm till around 10 pm, I for one would like to see a good movie on Friday or Saturday night, educational/cultural/all over enlightening programmes on weeknights, but this time plot has apparently been reserved
... See more
Though in Denmark television people tend to call this "Public Service"!!!

I am permanently baffled about the actual meaning of this "Public Service", because I don't really see any service to the public being offered! Rather the opposite.

In the hours from around 8 pm till around 10 pm, I for one would like to see a good movie on Friday or Saturday night, educational/cultural/all over enlightening programmes on weeknights, but this time plot has apparently been reserved for this so-called "Public Service". Grrrrr.

The "Public Service" is exactly this kind of thing; i.e.
* Big Brother shows,
* 'Show us how filthy your home is, and we'll clean it on TV, making you look like a total slob; this also includes if your home is filthy because you are suffering from a mental breakdown - We'll show it all',
* 'How bad are men really at cooking? We'll show the heart stopping details'
or, my personal favourite:
*'I'm so fat, I disgust myself, and now and want to disgust everybody else by showing on TV how surgeons remove
40 kgs of fat from my body while stitching up my stomach!"

I love "Public Service"!!!
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Germany ... May 29, 2006

German TV has done wonders for my DVD collection! In fairness, it's excellent for children's programmes and for documentaries, but apart from that it's awful. There are three music channels, but you're lucky if there's music to be found on one of them -- just "Pimp My Ride" and execrable "reality TV".

I was back home in Ireland at the weekend and was a little jealous when I saw the TV page. Even though British and Irish TV has gone downhill as well, Ailish ....

I'm jus
... See more
German TV has done wonders for my DVD collection! In fairness, it's excellent for children's programmes and for documentaries, but apart from that it's awful. There are three music channels, but you're lucky if there's music to be found on one of them -- just "Pimp My Ride" and execrable "reality TV".

I was back home in Ireland at the weekend and was a little jealous when I saw the TV page. Even though British and Irish TV has gone downhill as well, Ailish ....

I'm just discovering the Sopranos on DVD, the new season of Family Guy has just been released and the BBC are slowly releasing a lot of my old favourites. So my German viewing consists mostly of the news and Spongebob Squarepants, which - by the way - I find far better in German.

God bless DVDs.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
I have not switched the TV on in over a year. May 29, 2006

I have not switched the TV on in over a year, it is sooo bad here in Mexico. The news on the commercial channels is only concerned with crime and there are endless hours dedicated to show-biz gossip about minor celebrities. I honestly do not understand who wants this stuff.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Got rid of my television 10 years ago, May 29, 2006

mostly because I would end up being glued to the tube, even if the show was utter tripe - so basically I was saving myself from myself. Plus we have to pay for TV here in Germany, whether or not you watch it, so we're even paying for the awful programming. I worked at ZDF (one of the main two German stations) for 8 or 9 months, and saw what they were doing with my money: Endless paper pushing and a bureaucracy you wouldn't believe ... See more
mostly because I would end up being glued to the tube, even if the show was utter tripe - so basically I was saving myself from myself. Plus we have to pay for TV here in Germany, whether or not you watch it, so we're even paying for the awful programming. I worked at ZDF (one of the main two German stations) for 8 or 9 months, and saw what they were doing with my money: Endless paper pushing and a bureaucracy you wouldn't believe (well, you might if you lived here!).

I get everything I need or want to know from the internet, and I like it like that. I also can read about what I'm not missing on TV, it's great!

[Edited at 2006-05-29 15:06]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
delayed reply Oct 16, 2006

I see we're lucky in Spain, at least after midnight we have something decent to watch:-)

And my eyes have been opened, probably lots of us will end up not bothering anymore, not just those of us in Spain:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It must be really bad when it rates an article in The Times:-)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »