Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Veterinarians on PROZ?
Thread poster: englishhindi
englishhindi
englishhindi
Local time: 06:46
English to Hindi
Jun 18, 2006

Since I am a vet, may I Know? Is there any other vet too on proz? And are there people who are not vets, but have pets or animals or want to share something about animals?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-06-18 15:06]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic Jun 18, 2006

Hi,

Please note that I've moved your topic to the forum Off-Topic.

Regards,
Özden

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
French to English
+ ...
Hello Jun 18, 2006

Thank you for the posting, I have a cat and 2 dogs. My dog (siberian husky) who is 7 years old was just diagnosed with hepatocutaneous disease. I did a lot of reading about it and everything seems to say that the outcome is poor. Any thoughts? my vet wants to do all kinds of tests and ....
and my bill will be running in the thousands of dollars, what should I do?
Thanks for any input.
Mireille

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not a vet but Jun 18, 2006

I've been involved in cat breeding and showing for years. Although I'm not a breeder any longer, I still have a houseful of animals and visit an occasional cat or dog show.

A special place in my heart will always be reserved for Silver Shaded (black tipped) British Shorthairs.

And there's nothing like a Golden Retreiver's smile.

[Edited at 2006-06-18 15:26]

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
cat-lover Jun 18, 2006

Hi,

I am very fond of cats. It all started with two cats me and my parents had brought home from Libya.

Now my parents breed Norwegian Forest cats and attend cat shows (you can see them at: www.norweskie-lesne.republika.pl). I have no time to translate their site, but photos are self-explanatory I guess;)

I have a cat and it's sitting by my side now:)
<
... See more
Hi,

I am very fond of cats. It all started with two cats me and my parents had brought home from Libya.

Now my parents breed Norwegian Forest cats and attend cat shows (you can see them at: www.norweskie-lesne.republika.pl). I have no time to translate their site, but photos are self-explanatory I guess;)

I have a cat and it's sitting by my side now:)

I never owned a dog, but my fiancee dreams about a Golden Retriever or chocolate Labrador so I'll soon be a dog-lover as well:)

Can't imagine life without pets.

Branka, have you ever attended a cat show in Poland or the Czech Republic?

BTW. British shorthairs are also one of my favourites;)
Collapse

Atenea Acevedo (X)
Atenea Acevedo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
For the love of animals Jun 18, 2006

Not a vet either, but an animal lover without a doubt. However, dogs are my very favorite... and mutts on the top of that list! I regularly collaborate with animal protectors and shelters (don't forget that Mexico City ranks number two worldwide in terms of numbers of "street dogs"... nothing to be proud of and a lot to be embarrassed about, shame on us), and personally would never buy a dog at a pet shop.

I have a two year-old female mutt, her name is Sofia and my best company. Sh
... See more
Not a vet either, but an animal lover without a doubt. However, dogs are my very favorite... and mutts on the top of that list! I regularly collaborate with animal protectors and shelters (don't forget that Mexico City ranks number two worldwide in terms of numbers of "street dogs"... nothing to be proud of and a lot to be embarrassed about, shame on us), and personally would never buy a dog at a pet shop.

I have a two year-old female mutt, her name is Sofia and my best company. She was rescued at the ripe age of four weeks, all by herself by some heavy trucks. She came to us a week later, clean and beautiful, but with anemia and a stomach infection. She soon overcame all health problems. She's lying down by my feet right now and her muzzle is resting on my bare feet.

Want unconditional love? Get a furry friend!

Cheers,
Atenea

[Editado a las 2006-06-18 19:09]

[Editado a las 2006-06-18 21:49]
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
latin name of the disease Jun 18, 2006

Hello Mireille, I am very sorry to hear that your
Husky is that ill.
I like Huskies because there are very close to nature in their behaviour and of course they are really beautiful.
I would like to know the latin name of the disease in order to ask a German vet.

I have 3 cats (1 ex straycat, 2 out of a shelter) and 8 chicken who got their vaccination against avian influenza (bird flu). So that they
... See more
Hello Mireille, I am very sorry to hear that your
Husky is that ill.
I like Huskies because there are very close to nature in their behaviour and of course they are really beautiful.
I would like to know the latin name of the disease in order to ask a German vet.

I have 3 cats (1 ex straycat, 2 out of a shelter) and 8 chicken who got their vaccination against avian influenza (bird flu). So that they can run wherever they want in case of the bird flu coming to the Netherlands. I love my 7 Swiss Appenzeller Spitzhauben and my french Marans (chocolate coloured eggs).

This quote is not new, but oh so true:
Mahatma Gandhi “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Regards
Steffi
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
United States
Local time: 21:17
French to English
+ ...
Hello Steffi Jun 18, 2006

Thank you for asking, I tried to look for the latin origin, I cannot find it, the disease has another name "metabolic epidermal necrosis" MEN.
The more I read about it the more I become discouraged. Ralph has been with us for 6 years, I did get him at the shelter, he is a lovely animal, who likes to run and it is sad to see him so lame, and I always ask myself when is good time to say goodbye!

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 03:17
English to Serbian
+ ...
Cat Shows Jun 18, 2006

Hi Michal,

I just had a look at your parents' site, and they do have lovely cats. Congratulations!
I've never been to a show in Poland or the Czech Republic but have been judged many times by, for example Mr Reijers, a dear friend of mine, Mr & Mrs Mahelka, Mrs Kytlerova.
Here's a link to my site. I've no heart to take it down.

http://www.trubrityu.cjb.net/

All the best

Branka

Michał Szcześniewski wrote:

Branka, have you ever attended a cat show in Poland or the Czech Republic?

BTW. British shorthairs are also one of my favourites;)

[Edited at 2006-06-18 20:22]

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
well known names Jun 18, 2006

Branka Stankovic McCarthy wrote:

Hi Michal,

I just had a look at your parents' site, and they do have lovely cats. Congratulations!

I've never been to a show in Poland or the Czech Republic but have been judged many times by, for example Mr Reijers, a dear friend of mine, Mr & Mrs Mahelka, Mrs Kytlerova.
Here's a link to my site. I've no heart to take it down.

They have been judging my parents' cats as well on numerous occassions.

I like the GIC Master Twister;)

My cat has been saved from the street but surprisingly enough has a lot in common with NFOs.

To Mireille: It's sad to hear about your pet (I can still remember what I felt when my first Libyan cat was ill). I tried to google the Latin name, but to no avail...

Best regards,
Michał

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
We had a dog for over 16 years ... Jun 19, 2006

... but had to have him put down a week ago today.

englishhindi
englishhindi
Local time: 06:47
English to Hindi
TOPIC STARTER
HI, Maboumra Jun 19, 2006

maboumra wrote:

Thank you for the posting, I have a cat and 2 dogs. My dog (siberian husky) who is 7 years old was just diagnosed with hepatocutaneous disease. I did a lot of reading about it and everything seems to say that the outcome is poor. Any thoughts? my vet wants to do all kinds of tests and ....
and my bill will be running in the thousands of dollars, what should I do?
Thanks for any input.
Mireille

I am so sorry to hear about your Husky. If it is confirmed that it is hepatocutaneous disorder, then although prognosis is poor, but animal can be maintained with dietry management like high quality protein diet, zinc supplements, essential fatty acid supplements etc., in a little better condition. However the differential diagnosis with certain other simillar diseases like Zinc responsive dermatosis, food(generic) dermatosis, mucocutaneous candidiasis etc. is necessary. Can you provide little more details about the history, clinical disease, basis of diagnosis and treatment going on? I just want to peep a little into the case, may be some remote chance of hope could be found?

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Hello maboumra Jun 19, 2006

The more I read about it the more I become discouraged. Ralph has been with us for 6 years, I did get him at the shelter, he is a lovely animal, who likes to run and it is sad to see him so lame, and I always ask myself when is good time to say goodbye!

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's illness. I had such a wonderful time playing with and being pulled by huskies in Alaska, so I know what great companions they make.

Having said that, it seems that MEN in dogs is the same as necrolytic migratory erythema (NME) in people, and that the prognosis is indeed poor. I've found this paper on the web, and if you haven't come across it yourself, it might help you make a decision. It must be very tough on you to see such an energetic dog being in pain with every step. All the best to you.

http://dspace.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/2521/2/2003%20Arteaga.pdf

englishhindi
englishhindi
Local time: 06:47
English to Hindi
TOPIC STARTER
It is really sad Jun 19, 2006

Astrid Wanke wrote:

... but had to have him put down a week ago today.

But one thing while rearing dogs and cats etc. should always be kept in mind that their life span/longeivity is naturally always shorter than us, so this day has to come in our lifetime. But we can do is that we can pray for the departed soul.

mireille aboumrad
United States
Local time: 21:17
French to English
+ ...
He is on zinc Jun 19, 2006

He is on zinc and high protein diet, (eggs everyday), I keep him in my room when I am home, where it is cool, and he wants company, although he got himself sprayed by a skunk the other day, when he ran away again! He still likes to do that, it is the breed.
Other than that, I don't want needles or cutting through his skin, (except for the biopsy that confirmed the diagnosis).
he always had skin problems since he was a young pup, the vet thought it was just allergies. But this year, i
... See more
He is on zinc and high protein diet, (eggs everyday), I keep him in my room when I am home, where it is cool, and he wants company, although he got himself sprayed by a skunk the other day, when he ran away again! He still likes to do that, it is the breed.
Other than that, I don't want needles or cutting through his skin, (except for the biopsy that confirmed the diagnosis).
he always had skin problems since he was a young pup, the vet thought it was just allergies. But this year, it is just not getting better anymore, and he is getting skinnier everyday.
He is still a happy dog though!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Veterinarians on PROZ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »