Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 25, 2006

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if there are more couples "at war" out there... I am Dutch and my boyfriend is Portuguese (we live in Portugal), and tonight Holland is playing against Portugal... How do you guys deal with it??

Direct link Reply with quote

Carlos Montilla
Local time: 11:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Football wars Jun 25, 2006

Nice!

My war is as follows: I love football and my partner hates it and we only have one TV set.

LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
check this out... Jun 25, 2006

I'm not into football at all, unlike my girlfriend... she is watching LITERALLY every single game. It was even worse before Poland was sent home-she got herself like a fan-kit that included a fan horn, and YES, she used it a loooooot;). It doesn't really bother me, at least I have time to work (long live sound proof walls!!!:), but it's kinda embarassing when people discover that she knows much more about the WC than I do...

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hope for a draw... Jun 25, 2006

I'm English and my boyfriend is Swedish - so at least the score in this World Cup meant that we didn't have to fall out about it.

Otherwise we sit at opposite ends of the sofa and shout at the TV a lot during matches... I am relieved that England don't have an ice-hockey team though - I'm not sure the relationship would come out of that unscathed!

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
never mind couples... Jun 25, 2006

I am Spanish on my father's side and French on my mother's side...you wouldn't want to be me this coming Tuesday

Susana

[Edited at 2006-06-25 22:45]

xxxAdrian MM.
French to English
+ ...
Get another TV set or show the red card Jun 25, 2006

If you have at least 2 TV sets in 2 different rooms, then each one of you can watch a different program.

Otherwise, like the Holland vs. Portugal match, keep a stack of yellow and red cards for you and boyfriend to wave at each other, whilst gesticulating wildly.

airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:11
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Holland against Portugal Jun 25, 2006

>Holland against Portugal

I bet things heated up at your house after the Holland against Portugal game with so many red cards, yellow cards, fouls, expulsions etc.

Well now you both can cheer for Portugal from now on.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italy vs. USA Jun 25, 2006

final score: 1-1

the marriage is safe....

and we will celebrate our next anniversary...!

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:11
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Football vs Soccer Jun 26, 2006

My husband and I are Mexico and USA, respectively, and both have been eliminated. But we can still fight--I call it "soccer," he calls it "futbol"!

Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Italy/USA Jun 26, 2006

I am American - boyfriend Italian. We watched the match at my house. Rules: no talking, whispering, hand waving etc. or out of the house until the end of the match. The rules applied to me as well. All went well (honest) until the last 15 minutes when the lights went out because the dishwasher, washing machine and espresso machine were all on at the same time and we couldn't find the switch to get it back on (new house). I had to call my daughter to find out what happened.

Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
not yet... Jun 26, 2006

I'm Austrian, my boyfriend is Russian, so this World Cup doesn't give us any opportunity for such a football war - but maybe at the Euro Championships in 2008, if Russia manage to qualify?!

Luckily the Russians cannot compete with Austria in alpine skiing, and our hockey team is not worth mentioning...

Maaike, has the peace in your home been restored after yesterday's passionate game?

Susana, who will you support tomorrow? At least you live in the States and not in Spain or France!

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Send 'em off to watch it in the pub! :-) Jun 26, 2006

As it happens, we're not in it this year, so anti-World Cup fans can come to Ireland to get away from it all

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
He had to sleep on the couch! ;-) Jun 26, 2006

Thanks for your funny comments!
Yesterday we went to see the match outside, near our house they had put a huge screen on a square. So I was surrounded by lots of Portuguese, shouting and singing... When they scored, I almost died Everybody was very angry and frustrated at the end, because of the arbiter. But Portugal won, so they were very very happy. My boyfriend was sweet and we went for drinks with a Dutch couple we met...of course my boyfriend had to pay
Yeah, so now we can cheer together again...

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
go Ghana Jun 26, 2006

Marion Lurf wrote:
Susana, who will you support tomorrow? At least you live in the States and not in Spain or France!

Yes, and as I mentioned in the Spanish forum, that may well be the reason why I am watching at all. I normally ignore the game entirely, having been raised in a country (Spain) steeped in soccer mania, but somehow being into the sport in the States is a bit of an avant-garde statement

As for tomorrow, the answer is easy...I will support Ghana

Susana

[Edited at 2006-06-26 14:46]

Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Portugal/England Jun 27, 2006

I don't follow football at all (my sport is athletics) but I work in a travel agency where half the staff is English and the other half is Portuguese, so next Monday half will be drinking champagne and half will be crying into their coffee cups. Just as well the game's on a Saturday or everyone would be sitting in the café next door watching it instead of working!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Football/Soccer suffering couples

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs