Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Grrr, excuse me while I rant and rave!!
Thread poster: Orla Ryan

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 01:13
Jul 18, 2006

Our house got broken into this morning while I was out to meet a client.
They stole our laptops :~( as well as a small sum of money. I am so angry, the thoughts of someone being able to access my accounts and emails horrify me.

I am so relieved I made a backup a couple of weeks ago. I can still check my sent items for translations and luckily I took insurance for my laptop (won't get a replacement for another 2 weeks though ) But I despair at the thought of all the information stored in my TO300 that is lost and having to build all that up again.

It's a horrid feeling - I am ALWAYS at home during the day and the ONE morning I have to go out, this happens.....

I'm not going to hold my breath here about getting my laptop back but excuse while I go to the garden and do a primal scream!!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm sorry that happened, but glad you took precations Jul 18, 2006

I'm sorry you got robbed, but I think it's great that you had backup and insurance. I'm glad you weren't home, as you could have been hurt. That is a blessing!

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 18, 2006

Heather Chinchilla wrote:

I'm sorry you got robbed, but I think it's great that you had backup and insurance. I'm glad you weren't home, as you could have been hurt. That is a blessing!

Thanks Heather, you're right, absolutely. I think it is just as well I am a positive person as I was in a car crash on the 6th July outside Dublin, so at the moment I have no car either (I wasn't injured, luckily)! Goodness knows what's next. But I won't let this stuff get to me, no way!

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 19:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
On the positive side: Jul 18, 2006

You're lucky on two counts: you weren't injured in the car crash and you weren't injured when someone broke into your house.

Sorry, but it bears repeating!

This is coming from someone who complains all the time (I got a friend who calls me Queen Whiner Bee hahahaha), so I speak from experience: count your blessings

Also bless the fact that you were cautious enough to have a backup and insurance. Not many of us are that smart (believe me, I'm not! I haven't done either of the two).

On the other hand, I'm sorry you had to go through all that, it's upsetting, to say the least, when someone robs you Did they get anything else?

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dear Orla, Jul 18, 2006

I am so sorry to hear about your predicament. What has the world come to. Because you told us that you are home most of the time and just left to meet a client, I think that the burglar canvassed your home and went in exactly when you were away.

They check first you know to make sure that no one is home. They rather go somewhere where there is nobody home and they can be pretty sure that they can work undisturbed.

I know that you are hurting at this time but think about God protecting you that you were not in the house when this person entered. He/she might have hurt you bad. And thank goodness that you were smart to make backups.

So, go out and scream again. Yes, a couple of times if needed. Fix some comfort food, take a few cleansing breaths and go from there.

PS, a dog is a good guardian too. They make a lot of ruckus and even attack. Or, if you live in the country, geese, they are great guardians. They make a lot of noise and pick the heck out of intruders.

Take care!
Lucinda

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
If I were a cat, I'd probably have 7 lives left by now :-) Jul 18, 2006

Thanks for the support Queen Whiner Bee

Well, they took a sum of money from my roommate's drawer and three laptops. They didn't ransack the place. Nothing was taken from the living room or kitchen, only from the bedrooms.
There was absolutely no sign of a break-in until i went to my room and saw that the laptop was missing. There was plenty of other valuables around the house but they weren't touched at all.
It will be another two weeks or so til we get the results of the fingerprint testing...Bet some scumbag has bought it by now in some dingy bar.

Hi Lucinda - yes, that is what we think too, we believe someone had their eye on our house. I've had a nice big glass of white wine with a little pot of Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice-cream and that has definitely helped some

[Edited at 2006-07-18 21:56]

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 19:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Orla Jul 18, 2006

Gosh, I can relate to you in all senses - I was robbed in the train going from Amsterdam Central Station to the airport, in a broas daylight. What a classic trick it was! One distracted me for 5 seconds and the other grabbed my carry-on with my laptop, fine and designer jewelry collected all over the world over the years, so much sentimental value..., Russian passport {Thank God my US passport was in my purse with credit cards etc. and I was going FROM Russia so I could get back home), and a good 1-inch stack of personal papers, bank statements incuding. The train door opened and they were gone...

They threw the bag with passport and papers intact at the next station 10 minutes later and it was found by the police almost immediately, but... somehow after I cried all the flight home I managed to block my mind from it and even talk about it by now, otherwise I'd go crazy... try to imagine that it didn't happen at all. You or yorr loved ones have not been physically hurt, and this is the most important thing!

Only then I understood people's horrified looks and pointing at my purse with the cell phone clipped on the outside as I normally do at home. It's really sad that it is this way now - walking among the breathtaking beauty of European cities and holding frantically to your stuff...

Hang in there, it will pass...

Irene

John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 03:13
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Do you think you might know the culprits? Jul 18, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

They stole our laptops :~( as well as a small sum of money. I am so angry, the thoughts of someone being able to access my accounts and emails horrify me.

I am so relieved I made a backup a couple of weeks ago. I can still check my sent items for translations and luckily I took insurance for my laptop (won't get a replacement for another 2 weeks though ) But I despair at the thought of all the information stored in my TO300 that is lost and having to build all that up again.

It's a horrid feeling - I am ALWAYS at home during the day and the ONE morning I have to go out, this happens.....

I'm not going to hold my breath here about getting my laptop back but excuse while I go to the garden and do a primal scream!!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!)

First of all, lte me tell you how sorry I am that this should happen to you. Is it possible the the thieves knew you or had been by your flat?

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:13
German to English
+ ...
How awful! Jul 19, 2006

I can really empathize, as my apartment was robbed when I lived in New York in the early 80's. I was a student at the time, so there were no valuables, except a rather nice camera. It was so strange to put the key in the door and have it swing open without even turning the key.

Good for you that you took precautions, but it's a nuisance. What's worst is the feeling of being violated - one's private sphere being ravaged by a stranger.

My friends' reaction: Oh, you're lucky it has only happened once! IMy apartment has been broken into xx times.

[Edited at 2006-07-19 00:26]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
That is really the worst Jul 19, 2006

Woodstock said:
"What's worst is the feeling of being violated - one's private sphere being ravaged by a stranger."

The lingering sensation that someone was in your space that did not belong there. I have gone through this three times in my life and that is the only feeling that remains forever. To me that is really the worst. I hope you soon get over this.

[Edited at 2006-07-19 01:48]

[Edited at 2006-07-19 01:49]

[Edited at 2006-07-19 01:49]

Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Hope you recover soon... Jul 19, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

(...) we believe someone had their eye on our house.

[Edited at 2006-07-18 21:56]

Dear Orla,
On a practical side: maybe you had some repairs in your house recently? Sometimes such things are strangely related.... Last year, a couple of days after my cousin had a roof repair thieves sneaked somehow into his house in the night (all people were in the house!) and stole a stereo and some other things. Normally my cousin leaves his car keys next to the stereo, this time he left them in his trousers pocket...

To try and cheer you up I would like to tell a story that happened to me (no thieves involved).

Last summer I was driving to the north of Poland in order to pick up my co-workers and continue together by car and ferry to Copenhagen where we were to take part in an official business meeting. I was to spend a night 400 km from where I live and continue in the morning. The schedule was tight and I was feeling sort of tense the entire trip. About a 100 km from my destination when I was approaching a bridge I suddenly heard a loud noise and saw a widow pane on my left change into a spider's web. I though that someone shot at me! Behind the bridge I stopped and saw that the window was completely broken, but still in place. I called the police and they found a man cutting grass bridge with a strimmer on the slope before this . He sent some stones flying in the air... Guess what he told me just after ‘good afternoon’ ... ‘be happy that you are alive’. And right he was, I thought, as this window could have been open or the stone could have been flying a little higher. The final 100 km I went with no window, and in the night a new was installed but that is really another long story, maybe for a powwow meeting

Take care!
Piotr

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Glad you are OK Jul 19, 2006

Orla,

Here's a virtual HUGE ice cream cone! I am very sorry this happened to you and can empathize greatly. We were robbed when I was a little kid, the whole house was ransanked, and I still sometimes have nightmares about it. It is not so much what is stolen but feeling violated and vulnerable that can remain long after that is particularly cruel.

It was the one time in my life we didn't have a dog. Not only are they great company, most, even if not guard dogs, will "speak up" when something or someone not part of the routine comes near your place. If you are home, it is a good warning, and if you are not , it is just one more obstacle most robbers don't want to deal with.

THe most important thing is that you are OK. The rest is just "stuff".

Kind regards,

Patricia

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
never rains but it pours! Jul 19, 2006

Hi Orla

Sorry to hear about all your bad luck...seems to come in batches! I sympathise wholeheartedly, as I have been having a run of bad luck too.

I have half my roof missing (the neighbour on teh 3rd floor did illegal work, the town council has suspended the permit, rejected the new project etc). I've been flooded once, and every time it rains I'm on the roof collecting water.

It happens to coincide with my first ever 4 week hols (starting next week), at teh other side of the world, and to make matters worse, due to an accountant's error I got a huge bill and sanctions from the tax authorities, so have been left with hardly a bob for the journey...........I will probably have to remortgage when I return:-(

This time last year I would never have imagined these things happening to me, or being broke....ironies, like you being out just one morning of the many that you spend at home.

So, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this bad spell has come to an end for you!

Ailish

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
I'm glad you are OK Jul 19, 2006

I'm terribly sad to read about your loss and your accident. In Turkey, they would say "Geçmiş olsun", literally "let it have passed" - I hope you get the idea.

On the bright side, you are still with us. You are a valuable and respected person here, and I am really glad you are OK.

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Back-up - The Morality Tale Jul 19, 2006

Back-up A COUPLE OF WEEK ago?? This horrifies me almost more than the story of your break-in. How do you cope if there is an IT problem or your laptop crashes? I have a mobile harddrive and copy everything onto it several times a day. All it is is a drag-and-drop job. If I go out, I take the mobile harddrive with me. Then you never have to worry. All that time you will now have to spend building up your info again and trying to remember this and that when you could be doing more useful things...

It astonishes me that professional translators in general are not more downright SHHCARED of losing their info (for whatever reason) as info is our business, after all.

BACK UP, people. You can never do it enough!!!

Best
Tina

Orla Ryan wrote:

(AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grrr, excuse me while I rant and rave!!

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs