https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/52644-whats_with_the_no_pets_in_the_usa.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What's with the "no pets" in the USA?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:37
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 4, 2006

Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I are moving to Hawaii at the end of September. It's very difficult to find a place to live (suggestions are welcome!) because in all the ads it says "no pets", and we have a cat...
Is it typically american to be so "anti-pets", or is it because it's an island? And where does this mentality come from? I'm just curious...

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
You're moving to Hawaii and you're worried about pets??!?! Aug 4, 2006

Just kidding, I know what it's like to move across the ocean with pets, we brought a dog and cat from the US to Germany and back, and then back to Germany one more time for good measure. Good times!

Anyhow, Americans are not as pet friendly as Europeans, so you'll need to adjust for that--no dogs in the supermarket or most restaurants unless they're working animals

. Hawaii, however, is a special case--because there's no rabies on the island, they have special rules for
... See more
Just kidding, I know what it's like to move across the ocean with pets, we brought a dog and cat from the US to Germany and back, and then back to Germany one more time for good measure. Good times!

Anyhow, Americans are not as pet friendly as Europeans, so you'll need to adjust for that--no dogs in the supermarket or most restaurants unless they're working animals

. Hawaii, however, is a special case--because there's no rabies on the island, they have special rules for importing animals including **gulp** the potential for a long quaranteen. May not apply to cats, though. Check up on it ASAP if you haven't.

Good luck!
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rabies Aug 4, 2006

Of course we checked, we made all the arrangements (vaccinations, blood test in the US, etc.). I am a huge animal-lover, so I will get a hard time there
Did everything went well during the flights? Because there's one thing I don't understand: what about my cat's needs on such long flights (Portugal-Hawaii is 24 hours travelling)? Where does he go when he's gotta go?...
See more
Of course we checked, we made all the arrangements (vaccinations, blood test in the US, etc.). I am a huge animal-lover, so I will get a hard time there
Did everything went well during the flights? Because there's one thing I don't understand: what about my cat's needs on such long flights (Portugal-Hawaii is 24 hours travelling)? Where does he go when he's gotta go?
I already emailed people from the airline, but they didn't respond yet. Does someone know?
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
IATA website Aug 4, 2006

Hi Maaike

Some airlines don't allow pets in the passenger cabin, and sometimes animals may not even travel in the hold of certain types of aircraft.
Make sure you have informed the airline you will be taking your cat with you and double check specific aircraft limitations.

You should find some useful information on
... See more
Hi Maaike

Some airlines don't allow pets in the passenger cabin, and sometimes animals may not even travel in the hold of certain types of aircraft.
Make sure you have informed the airline you will be taking your cat with you and double check specific aircraft limitations.

You should find some useful information on the IATA website
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/live_animals/pets.htm

Recommendations for shipping pets http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/2C690582-8CBD-41EC-9F90-527B346D59A1/0/recommendations_shippingpet.pdf

Container requirements
http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/0B9E3905-BCED-4AD2-9EAE-213E08D6E886/0/LAR32containers.pdf

Have a nice time in Hawaii (very envious )
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Pet deposit, too Aug 4, 2006

I brought my cat with me as I moved to the US. Don't know about Hawaii - I am in Texas and there is no problem to find housing allowing pets. However bear in mind that you will have to pay a pet deposit upfront. Speaking of dogs, it all depends on the dog's weight - some housing allows only small dogs (and cats), and some large ones.

I also wanted, being a European myself - well, Russia is both in Europe and Asia - to defend Americans: they ARE pet-friendly! Practlically each famil
... See more
I brought my cat with me as I moved to the US. Don't know about Hawaii - I am in Texas and there is no problem to find housing allowing pets. However bear in mind that you will have to pay a pet deposit upfront. Speaking of dogs, it all depends on the dog's weight - some housing allows only small dogs (and cats), and some large ones.

I also wanted, being a European myself - well, Russia is both in Europe and Asia - to defend Americans: they ARE pet-friendly! Practlically each family in my suburb has a dog or two, and they are often adopted from pet shelters.

Good luck with house-hunting!

[Edited at 2006-08-04 15:24]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Americans are pet-friendly people Aug 4, 2006

and actually they are some of the most pet-friendly people I know. Sometimes, I personally feel that they even go way too far with that...

Monika

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Count yourself lucky... Aug 4, 2006

When I first moved from the UK to Belgium (over 25 years ago) many house-letters had a 'NO PETS - NO KIDS' policy!

3 years ago I travelled from Belgium to Chile, via Spain, with my dog as excess baggage. My return ticket cost me around € 700. The dog's ticket, travelling one-way only, cost € 1100.

Despite the cost, she was 'boxed' for around 24 hours, got nothing to eat or drink on the journey, and I was refused access to her on the ground in Madrid and during the
... See more
When I first moved from the UK to Belgium (over 25 years ago) many house-letters had a 'NO PETS - NO KIDS' policy!

3 years ago I travelled from Belgium to Chile, via Spain, with my dog as excess baggage. My return ticket cost me around € 700. The dog's ticket, travelling one-way only, cost € 1100.

Despite the cost, she was 'boxed' for around 24 hours, got nothing to eat or drink on the journey, and I was refused access to her on the ground in Madrid and during the flights. When I arrived at Santiago airport she was simply dumped on the baggage belt along with everyone's suitcases... ¡Bienvenidos a Chile!

Apart from that, everything went smoothly - but only because I'd previously spent a full week getting her papers sorted out in Brussels.

Bon voyage!

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
A possible explanation Aug 4, 2006

Izabella Goubnitskaia wrote:
I also wanted, being a European myself - well, Russia is both in Europe and Asia - to defend Americans: they ARE pet-friendly! Practlically each family in my suburb has a dog or two, and they are often adopted from pet shelters.

I was born in Mexico, but I have also lived in the US (and been to Hawaii), and I know for a fact that people are pet-friendly (not as much as in some European countries where pets are allowed in restaurants, but the index of pet owners is quite high).

However, most of these pets probably live in houses/apartments owned by the owner of the pet. Hawaii might be a particular case given the high demand for rental properties. Thus, landlords might not want to have to worry about getting rid of odors or replacing the carpet after a tenant with a pet has moved out. Why go through the trouble, if they can always find tentants without pets?

But I am sure you will find a pet-lover landlord who will be willing to take you and your pet, or a money-lover landlord who would be willing to accept the pet, provided you pay a deposit for it.

Enjoy Hawaii!

[Edited at 2006-08-04 15:49]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Landlords may be liable for damages Aug 4, 2006

Some pets can really damage a property and even the pet deposit may not entirely cover it. But also, in the United States if a dog attacks or kills someone, the landlord can be held liable. When Diane Whipple was killed by two dogs, the landlords ended up being sued in court, even though they had tried to evict the people in charge of the dogs. They ended up settling out of court, but it created a precedent and unfortunately as a consequence more and more landlords are not willing to take the... See more
Some pets can really damage a property and even the pet deposit may not entirely cover it. But also, in the United States if a dog attacks or kills someone, the landlord can be held liable. When Diane Whipple was killed by two dogs, the landlords ended up being sued in court, even though they had tried to evict the people in charge of the dogs. They ended up settling out of court, but it created a precedent and unfortunately as a consequence more and more landlords are not willing to take the risk.

The story:
http://www.planetout.com/news/article-print.html?2002/12/20/2

[Edited at 2006-08-04 15:51]
Collapse

Nicole Johnson
Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
America--Land of the Brave and Home of the Free (unless you have a pet and want to rent) Aug 4, 2006

I agree with Rosa Maria and Claudia--it's not that Americans in general are anti-pet at all (like Monika said, some people even go way to far--just think of the pet psychologists and pet hotel fads) it's simply that in rental properties most landlords don't want to deal with the extra hassle.

Of course a cat may be easier to deal with than a dog, and certainly there would be less risk of liability (unless you have an "attack cat") but expect to pay an extra deposit on the place yo
... See more
I agree with Rosa Maria and Claudia--it's not that Americans in general are anti-pet at all (like Monika said, some people even go way to far--just think of the pet psychologists and pet hotel fads) it's simply that in rental properties most landlords don't want to deal with the extra hassle.

Of course a cat may be easier to deal with than a dog, and certainly there would be less risk of liability (unless you have an "attack cat") but expect to pay an extra deposit on the place you will rent in case of damage/extra cleaning.

I would expect you will be able to find something suitable for your whole family--kitty included, especially if you look for a more individual setting rather than a large apartment complex where others may be bothered by the presence of animals.

Good Luck and Happy Surfing!!
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Oh GOOODNESS.... Aug 4, 2006

I saw the topic and admit to not having read through all the answers because my heart leaped in a rush to respond and give serious warning...

People who know me know I would never ever be without my animals. When I had to move to Hawaii, I went ahead of time to investigate the quarantine situation, argue for special circumstances, strive to negociate private quarantine, I didn't care how much it was going to cost me, all to no avail. My dog stayed with my mom on the East Coast, and
... See more
I saw the topic and admit to not having read through all the answers because my heart leaped in a rush to respond and give serious warning...

People who know me know I would never ever be without my animals. When I had to move to Hawaii, I went ahead of time to investigate the quarantine situation, argue for special circumstances, strive to negociate private quarantine, I didn't care how much it was going to cost me, all to no avail. My dog stayed with my mom on the East Coast, and my heart cracked.

But there is no way I would have let my dog live 4 months out on the Leeward side of the island (dry side), under blue plastic tarps (if the owners bought one, none if they didn't) to shield the dogs somewhat from the sun and the occasional downpour, in conditions that make some shelters look like the Hilton.

I know from friends that despite many efforts, petitions, and so on, not much has changed....

Please.... don't do this to your animals.....it is a truly horrific situation......

Patricia
Collapse

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
A few ideas Aug 4, 2006

Maaike Anne wrote:

Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I are moving to Hawaii at the end of September. It's very difficult to find a place to live (suggestions are welcome!) because in all the ads it says "no pets", and we have a cat...
Is it typically american to be so "anti-pets", or is it because it's an island? And where does this mentality come from? I'm just curious...

I have a couple of suggestions, having traveled with my cats by plane and by car. The first thing I would do is make an appointment with your cat's vet, so that he/she can prescribe a sedative. Travel is very stressful for cats, they do not like to be outside of their "turf", their environment. If they are sedated, they will be less stressed, and so will you. With any luck, your cat will sleep through most of the trip, or be groggy, happily unaware of what's going on.

Check if you can take your cat with you on board, that's really the best way to do it. I can't stand the thought of the cat's cage being stowed away like luggage in the cargo section (in which case, a sedative is a must). Buy the biggest pet carrier that the airline will allow. My in-laws had a huge problem with their cat when they left the US to return to Argentina with a cat because they said that the cat must be able to stand up on the carrier, and it was a tight fit. We had to do a lot of talking to convince them to allow the cat on the plane.

As I'm sure you've done already, make sure you know all the airline's rules, and even call ahead and ask to speak to a supervisor to make sure there won't be any last minute surprises. Good luck to you and your cat!

A fellow cat lover

[Edited at 2006-08-04 16:30]

[Edited at 2006-08-04 16:31]

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
It's about Hawaii, not all the US Aug 4, 2006

Dear Maaike,

Off-hand - when I was vacationing there I remember talking to people and hearing somethng about special rules for Hawaii - their environmental regulations etc. differ from the continental US. I can't remember right now but for the info check Hawaii specifically. I'll try to dig some more too - just got back from work. Hawaii is not a land of plenty when it comes to rental places, it's a seller's market. Which island are you moving to?

I traveled with my 2 c
... See more
Dear Maaike,

Off-hand - when I was vacationing there I remember talking to people and hearing somethng about special rules for Hawaii - their environmental regulations etc. differ from the continental US. I can't remember right now but for the info check Hawaii specifically. I'll try to dig some more too - just got back from work. Hawaii is not a land of plenty when it comes to rental places, it's a seller's market. Which island are you moving to?

I traveled with my 2 cats from Houston to Russia and back. Now they tell all their hillbilly neighbors that they spent a night in Paris:-). I know it all:-). From keeping your cats happy to dealing with airlines... Please write me direct and I'll prepare a full report for you meanwhile - well, maybe no sooner than tomorrow eve. Gotta catch some sleep...
Irene

we came back February 2006 so my news are fresh.

[Edited at 2006-08-04 17:25]
Collapse

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 10:37
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you're looking for a condo... Aug 4, 2006

I think it's about condos, not location. I'm in San Diego and there's a lot of restrictions on rentals as far as what pets you can have (if they allow you to have any!!!). I believe it's because they're afraid your pet is gonna ruin the carpet, walls, and furniture... Anyway, if you find a pet-friendly place you'll have to leave a larger amount as a deposit and there are chances your rent is gonna be higher than other resident's who don't have pets...

Good luck!...
See more
I think it's about condos, not location. I'm in San Diego and there's a lot of restrictions on rentals as far as what pets you can have (if they allow you to have any!!!). I believe it's because they're afraid your pet is gonna ruin the carpet, walls, and furniture... Anyway, if you find a pet-friendly place you'll have to leave a larger amount as a deposit and there are chances your rent is gonna be higher than other resident's who don't have pets...

Good luck!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, let me defend America too! Aug 4, 2006

Even a human does not need a shelter in Hawaii:-) Just kidding!

People here are absolutely crazy about pets, pet charity, volunteering, adoption etc. It is 10 times easier to bring a pet to/from the US than anywhere else... Houston was the only checkpoint where I was not required to drag poor things out to X-ray the cage while I was carrying my terrified guys through the electronic gates for people and stuffing them back in. They are my heroes...

Here comes advise #1 -
... See more
Even a human does not need a shelter in Hawaii:-) Just kidding!

People here are absolutely crazy about pets, pet charity, volunteering, adoption etc. It is 10 times easier to bring a pet to/from the US than anywhere else... Houston was the only checkpoint where I was not required to drag poor things out to X-ray the cage while I was carrying my terrified guys through the electronic gates for people and stuffing them back in. They are my heroes...

Here comes advise #1 - trim their claws!

10+ years ago I had to give up a 3-year assignment in London for them, 6-month old at the time - I was told that it will be a 6-month quarantine at my expense, and visitation rights were similar to a jail!

Anyway, I know that Europeans love their pets to death too:-)

It got so emotional that I'll share some info right now:

1. Our 1st flight was a non-stop via Frankfurt. I got a prescription medicine (I'll check the name of that specific one, it is well-known and available throught US and Europe, I forgot but my vet has it on record) . It is a mild sedative and it's main component is used for people too plus it blocks all 3 sources of nausea - stomack, nerves and brain. My cats took it great. Do not do shots - too strong, and unless you could do it yourself it's not an option anyway.

2. The flight was early in the morning. After I fed them around midnight and they drank their water I took everything away. Cats do not hold it for long so they had to go in the middle of the night, as usual. At that point we were done eating and drinking until destination point. C'mon now, they are cats, really:-)))))) The red one occasionally dips his tail in my coffee and I drink it afterwards so trust me, I love them:-) Believe me, it is much-much easier for them to travel on an empty stomach, and after sedation they don't really care much for nourishment. They will get home slightly dehydrated but not even remotely close to any harm to their health. They are cats with 9 lives, so - we had no needs and no accidents for 22 hours!!!

They slept like little angels and we were complimented by all crews about our behavior (compared to human kids:-)) , I pettes them and talked to them a bit between the flights and offered them few drops of water, they refused. I washed their faces and put few drops on their paws so they could lick off that moisture to wet their mouths. At home they did not even eat right away, and I would not say thay they were drinking like someone dying from thirst. I gave them a whole sedative pill for a long flight and 1/5 for a shorter one from Frankfurt to St. Petersburg. Emotionally they recovered remarkably soon, real eating started on the next day:-).

3. Cat with the cage must weight 5 kg but noone really checks... The cage must fit under the front seat.

4. You need to claim a cat in the cabin at the time of booking and make sure it is confirmed - the number of animals in the cabin is limited. Air France and KLM are pet-friendly.

Well, this is a part of it. More via email, OK?

Irene

http://hawaiiforrent.net/availablerentals.html

They offer to email them with questions, and advertise Pet Insurance... Who know, maybe they will find something.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=28&subAreaID=0&query=Hawaii&catAbbreviation=apa&minAsk=500&maxAsk=2000&bedrooms=1&addTwo=purrr

Here are the results with cats allowed option. Craiglist requires double-checking but still worth a try.

[Edited at 2006-08-04 18:46]

[Edited at 2006-08-04 19:35]

[Edited at 2006-08-05 10:25]

[Edited at 2006-08-05 10:51]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's with the "no pets" in the USA?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »