Off topic: Cheap up...Oops! Cheer up your weekend!
Thread poster: texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2006

Too funny, I had to share this with you guys!

http://money.aol.com/special/cheapestperson0608

[Edited at 2006-08-26 13:50]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
English to Italian
cool stuff Aug 26, 2006

Good stuff Tex...
I know a couple of people who were doing similar things. When I was a child my grandfather used to tell me to unwrap MY birthday or Christmas gifts carefully so that HE could take the wrapping paper BACK and recycle it (I would have bet that the paper he had used for MY gift was not new at all).
I guess that for older people this sparingness comes from the time when they had to use (and possibly re-use over and over again) every little thing, until it was REALLY r
... See more
Good stuff Tex...
I know a couple of people who were doing similar things. When I was a child my grandfather used to tell me to unwrap MY birthday or Christmas gifts carefully so that HE could take the wrapping paper BACK and recycle it (I would have bet that the paper he had used for MY gift was not new at all).
I guess that for older people this sparingness comes from the time when they had to use (and possibly re-use over and over again) every little thing, until it was REALLY ready to be thrown away.

My mom dreaded to throw away bread, even if it was stale, because she thought that it was a precious basic food (remember the old story: "little children around the world are starving and you throw away BREAD?" ? Well, I got through that for years). So she would find ways to recycle it by making bread crumbs, or panzanella (delicious Italian dish) or croutons. If it was mouldy, she would get rid of the crust, mash the core and tell me to give it to the pigeons. Still now, when I have some old toast bread in my fridge that I am not going to eat, I give it to the birds...

[Edited at 2006-08-26 21:58]
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
true stories Aug 26, 2006

Well..I knew somebody who never bought a sigle roll of toilet paper in his life, and used ficus leaves instead! (I am not talking about something happened during the Punic Wars!) He said: "it cleans and moistures"
And another one who had a pay phone (just like the public pay phones they used to have in Italy) in his house and you had to put a telephone token (Gettone!) in the slot to be able to make a phone call (inclu
... See more
Well..I knew somebody who never bought a sigle roll of toilet paper in his life, and used ficus leaves instead! (I am not talking about something happened during the Punic Wars!) He said: "it cleans and moistures"
And another one who had a pay phone (just like the public pay phones they used to have in Italy) in his house and you had to put a telephone token (Gettone!) in the slot to be able to make a phone call (included his family members). Of course if you were by his house and without a token...you had to buy one from him! He claimed he used the money to pay the phone bills.

[Edited at 2006-08-26 20:43]

PS. Liliana, what happened to your posting?

[Edited at 2006-08-26 22:53]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheap up...Oops! Cheer up your weekend!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »