Mobile menu

Off topic: How off-topic can an off-topic thread be?
Thread poster: Bonita Mc Donald

Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2006

The reason I'm asking this is because I've wanted to post on the Spanish forum, but the thread I want to start has absolutely nothing to do with translation/interpretation or anything work-related. I'm trying to find others who share my love for Latin American soap operas ("telenovelas"), not so much to discuss them (hundreds, if not thousands, of them have been made!), but because I'm desperately trying to get one in particular on DVD/Videotape and I've scoured the Internet high and low (including eBay worldwide) looking for it, but can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing that, seeing as how ProZ.com reunites so many professionals from the Spanish-speaking community in one place, I might have some luck asking around in the Spanish forum to see if anyone has heard of what company/whom I can approach to purchase a set, or whether they could sell me their own. If I were to do this (inquire on the Spanish board), would I be breaking any rules?

Since I'd like the answer to be from someone who is "in the know," I would prefer it if a moderator would be so kind as to respond to this post.

Thanks in advance!

Bonnie

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:30
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why don't you try asking in "Conociéndonoz..."? Sep 19, 2006

http://www.proz.com/topic/25693

Naty

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Telenovela aficionada Sep 19, 2006

Hi Bonita,

I am also a 'telenovela aficionada' with quite a sizeable collection. What is the title of the novela, perhaps I can help?

If not, open a thread in the Spanish and also one in the English forum and ask if someone knows the title and where you can procure it.

Saludos,
Lucinda

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
How off-topic can an off-topic thread be? Sep 19, 2006

Hi Bonita,
THis page explains what topics may be discussed in the ProZ forums: http://www.proz.com/faq/forums

You could also look at the ProZ.com scope for more information:
Exceptions may be made in which postings outside of ProZ.com's scope are allowed, but only on the condition that no part of the content could be considered by any reasonable person to be objectionable or even controversial.

Telenovelas are not controversial or political in nature, and have been discussed before (e.g. in Conociéndonoz, as Naty mentioned).

Maria

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dedicated thread, please Sep 19, 2006

I would be pleased to see an independent thread on telenovelas started, rather than having the discussion get lost in the mega-thread that is ConociendonoZ. If it's approved, please do go ahead and start it, Bonita

Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
<i>Milagros</i> Sep 19, 2006

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

Hi Bonita,

I am also a 'telenovela aficionada' with quite a sizeable collection. What is the title of the novela, perhaps I can help?

If not, open a thread in the Spanish and also one in the English forum and ask if someone knows the title and where you can procure it.

Saludos,
Lucinda

Hello, all. Thanks for your advice. I feel confident that I'm bound to find it if I follow all of your suggestions.

Lucinda, thanks for offering to help. The telenovela I'm looking for is the Peruvian production Milagros with Sonya Smith. I fell in love with it while living in Colombia but never got to see the end. We moved around episode 100 to an address where the cable TV service was different, and didn't have the channel they were showing it on. If happiness could be bought in the form of a telenovela, then Milagros would be IT for me.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Telenovela-World Sep 19, 2006

Have you tried looking here?:
http://www.telenovela-world.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/PASION-DE-TELENOVELAS

[Edited at 2006-09-19 23:19]

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Milagros Sep 20, 2006

Hi Bonita,
Unfortunately, I do not know that one. but I will continue looking for you.

Lucinda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How off-topic can an off-topic thread be?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs