Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:56
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 21, 2006

Hello,

I'm gonna stay in Chicago for 2 days only, Thursday and Friday but I'd like to get to know the city.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on places to stay--I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a nice hotel in a safe area. What are the must things to do and must places to visit for a Chicago first-timer? I also would like to know about some good vegetarian restaurants.

Thank you,

Claudia

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 03:56
German to English
+ ...
It really depends on what you like doing... Sep 21, 2006

Chicago offers LOADS to see and do. I can't recommend any hotels or vegetarian restaurants, but Navy Pier is worth a visit. Check out their concert program - they often have good stuff going on. There are loads of great Irish hangouts in Chicago as well - they're so Irish that they even dye the river green for St. Patricks day. Boat trips are also a good idea, and depending on the time of year you go, a trip to the Indiana Dunes park is also well worth a visit (although it's a little bit out of ... See more
Chicago offers LOADS to see and do. I can't recommend any hotels or vegetarian restaurants, but Navy Pier is worth a visit. Check out their concert program - they often have good stuff going on. There are loads of great Irish hangouts in Chicago as well - they're so Irish that they even dye the river green for St. Patricks day. Boat trips are also a good idea, and depending on the time of year you go, a trip to the Indiana Dunes park is also well worth a visit (although it's a little bit out of town).

Just a few ideas on what to do - from a Scot living in Germany (with a hubby from just outside Chicago).

Alison
Collapse

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
German to English
Vegetarian restaurants in Chicago and other advice Sep 22, 2006

Hi Claudia!

Check out this site for veg. restaurants around the world: http://www.happycow.net/ and for Chicago in particular: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/illinois/chicago/index.html

Chicago is a fantastic city -- I went to university there and
... See more
Hi Claudia!

Check out this site for veg. restaurants around the world: http://www.happycow.net/ and for Chicago in particular: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/illinois/chicago/index.html

Chicago is a fantastic city -- I went to university there and go back at least once a year. It has some great museums (The Art Institute on Michigan Ave., the Field Museum, which is just next door to the fantastic Aquarium and the Planetarium, and then there's the Museum of Science and Industry further south, to name just a few). A ride up to the 103rd floor of the Sear's Tower is always fun, especially when the weather is clear and you can see out over the entire city and maybe even to Indiana in the south. Alternatively, you can ride the elevator up to the 95th floor of the Hancock building for free if you go for lunch or cocktails (in which case, be sure to visit the ladies' room for a stunning view).

For nicer hotels at decent prices, you could try hotwire.com, but you won't know exactly which hotel you get until you book it. If you'd rather be certain, and don't want to pay top rates, you may want to look in Evanston (a bit north of Chicago) or Hyde Park (a bit south of the city) or maybe in a western suburb -- near the airport, if you're flying in. Can't recommend any specific one, but if you don't mind not being in the middle of town, the subway and bus systems are good and extensive, and a one-way ticket costs $2.00, last I knew (early July).

Hope that helps! Of course, even cheaper would be to find someone on couchsurfing.com, if you don't mind not necessarily having the privacy of a hotel room, and you just might even get a tour guide to boot!

Cheers--

Brie

p.s. A "must not miss" (IMNSHO) is "the Bean" on Michigan Ave., just north of the Art Institute: http://www.flickr.com/photos/briethe/189748351/

[Edited at 2006-09-22 00:35]
Collapse

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 20:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frank Lloyd Wright Sep 22, 2006

Hi,

If you are interested in architecture, Oak Park is quite close to Chicago, about 30 minutes. There are around 30 houses designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park. His Studio House is also there and you can visit it.

HTH

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ISO Places to stay and things to do in Chicago

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »